Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#591086 - Thu Jan 08 2015 09:36 AM McColl-Frontenac Sign
a134743 Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
I have a McColl Frontenac 2 sided enamelled sign that is 22" in diameter. Was found in an old gas station about 20 years ago in Eastern Ontario and is in good condition with a few scratches and a paint chip on the bottom edge. Can anyone tell me what it is worth in today's market?

Attachments
P1270323.JPG

P1270324.JPG

P1270325.JPG

P1270326.JPG

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#591108 - Thu Jan 08 2015 11:01 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: a134743]
junior25 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario,Can
Unfortunately your sign screams reproduction. Never heard of or seen a 22". So many differences in the artwork compared to an original as well. Even the bottom chip doesn't look correct to an original porcelain sign.

#591110 - Thu Jan 08 2015 11:03 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: a134743]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
this looks like one of those signs that would fit into the
questionable category- the Red Indian experts need too analyze this example... cool

#591156 - Thu Jan 08 2015 03:53 PM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: advertologist]
redindianguy Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Welcome to oldgas . That sign looks to be painted . 22" ?????? Was this sign from a recent auction . 22" is not a documented original size Red Indian sign . Sorry

#591177 - Thu Jan 08 2015 06:09 PM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: redindianguy]
a134743 Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Yes, from a recent auction - everything there was supposed to be authentic. All I saw online was that they were made from 18" to 72" but I have not seen many this size - most were over 36". It is not porcelain, appears to be older and quite heavy with enamel paint. I have seen a lot of repro's but they looked quite different and it seemed to be much better quality and older than any of those.

#591217 - Thu Jan 08 2015 09:35 PM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: a134743]
Wes Hague Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: canada
Well I think it looks pretty good and real,,, don't forget fellas, it's an old misleading saying, " just because you haven't seen one before doesn't mean it doesn't exist " Just sayin !!!! smile

#591249 - Fri Jan 09 2015 06:42 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: Wes Hague]
Veteran Member

I totally agree Wes . I would def like to have it hand . But from pictures the lettering is clearly not right from what I can see and in comparison to legit signs and literature there is a lot of different markers . But I am not going to point them all out for the repop guys to take notes .

#591251 - Fri Jan 09 2015 07:10 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: redindianguy]
junior25 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario,Can
I agree as well Wes, but with approx. 4000 Red Indian gas stations across Canada I struggle to believe there can be many more items yet to be discovered. Now with all these new signs turning up I give the option of a new discovery a chance but resort to the evidence. Like Dave states this sign in question has way too many differences compared to all the other known originals using the Indian head artwork.

#591261 - Fri Jan 09 2015 08:46 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: junior25]
Wes Hague Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: canada
I guess I see away too many times on this site that guys say fake without any real hard evidence, the pictures that are on here in my opinion are not enough to positively say it's not real.. and to me that is not fair to the guy that owns it. New stuff is turning up all the time on OLDGAS if you watch this site very often. I guess it depends on whether your a half empty kinda guy or a half full kinda guy.. I lean towards being a positive person myself..
" innocent until proven guilty "... Cosby would like to hear that, LOL, LOL, LOL,,,,.. Like Dave said there were many manufacturers of this stuff and with 4000 stations all across Canada surely it hasn't all been seen yet..?

#591322 - Fri Jan 09 2015 12:45 PM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: Wes Hague]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
I agree with Daryl, Dave and Randy. Not a sign that I would authenticate as original.

#591547 - Sat Jan 10 2015 07:46 PM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: Dave's Garage]
carolinaskies Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Upstate SC, USA
Look at the quality of the overall layout. The first rule of reproductions is the layout of a quality one would expect to see of a production sign. In other words, if you ran a quality sign operation would the sign meet minimum standards of the correct era it was supposed to be produced.

This sign does NOT. The lettering and overall lack of smooth transitions in separations of the various colors shows no attention to detail. A 22" sign would be one of a size you'd expect to be seen at normal viewing angles and would need to be very nice and crisp transitions.

The quality of this sign is good enough for repop work but would be rejected immediately by anyone who's reputation is built on selling customers quality products.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!

#592012 - Tue Jan 13 2015 07:56 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: carolinaskies]
Veteran Member

Exactly

#685716 - Sat Apr 29 2017 01:16 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: a134743]
TheAmateur Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm curious to know if anyone has formed a different opinion on this sign after having had a couple of years to sleep on it?

#685720 - Sat Apr 29 2017 07:08 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: a134743]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
It's 2 years older than it was ?

#685734 - Sat Apr 29 2017 11:01 AM Re: McColl-Frontenac Sign [Re: KZ1000]
TheAmateur Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
No, the original post and ensuing discussion occurred in January 2015. I'm curious to know people's thoughts two years later. Perhaps folks have seen other examples since then or concluded it was a fake, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alex, Oldgas 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved