Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#592934 Mon Jan 19 2015 05:04 AM
JOSBORN Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I watch this seller's items often and wonder if they are all legit. Looking at bids, bidders, percentage of bids and retractions of bids from some of their auctions???
Just me? Or?

Example 141541569222

JOSBORN #592967 Mon Jan 19 2015 07:56 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
That is the famous littleshanno, he used to sell the Mobil T53 signs for huge money, along with other repops and shill bidders, some things never change...

JOSBORN #592971 Mon Jan 19 2015 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It certainly looks like the 1st under bidder is a shill with 71% of their bids being on items from that seller.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #592983 Mon Jan 19 2015 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
all the low feedback bidders makes you wonder... cool

RANDY
advertologist #593114 Mon Jan 19 2015 08:50 PM
I
I
I guess I just don't understand what the complaint is?

What ever happened to the good ol' days?
IndyGas6 #593122 Mon Jan 19 2015 09:41 PM
N
N
I know nothing of how he conducts his business, however, the arguments made are quite weak. 71% isn't significant, most collectors prefer to buy from the same dealers they know and trust, for example a rare Cities Service sign offered from a seller with no feedback will not bring the same dollar amount as when Kevin Frith tries to sell the same sign. With that said, I truly hope his auctions are on the up and up, this is a dealer most you would recognize from all the major shows.

notsoHusky #593126 Mon Jan 19 2015 10:29 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Strange he decided to switch his ebay account. I remember a lot of the negative feedbacks that were on it. Sign was touched up with out disclosing this information...said sign was lost...Top that with the T53 deals and I guess you can understand why he switched accounts.

notsoHusky #593128 Mon Jan 19 2015 10:49 PM
M
M
I would suggest more likely that’s it a bidder whom is a Non-payer.
If you are looking at items that sell for a strong price and then you see them relisted by the same seller again at a later date.
Is it your concern that he was running up the bids and got caught with the bid, there fore the relist...
It’s too bad ebay changed it’s policy, as at an earlier times, you could research the bidders.
I’ve a friend who has sold on ebay for a long time. He claims that as of late, there are lots of Non-PAYERS...
Even though it’s a hassle going thru the process of reporting a non payer and reclaiming fees, His greatest concern,
is that folks will think he’s shill bidding his own items... as they see items sell and then later relisted...

I know nothing....just a possible option.

MoonShine #593147 Tue Jan 20 2015 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The buyer with 71% bidding activity with that seller doesn't appear to be winning many (if any) of the auctions he bids on with that seller. That's how shill bidding works. The shill artificially raises the price, but doesn't actually win the auction.
Also a seller will usually block non-paying bidders from bidding on more of their auctions.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Lastgas15 #593185 Tue Jan 20 2015 09:44 AM
I
I
I still am not seeing the issue here. Shill bidding has been happening as long as the history of auctions. If he reserved an item, would you rather he just reserved the item? Or would you complain about all the items being reserved too.
On the item above, I was there when the seller won it at the Kraft Auction on Jan 10th. I also know that the back up bidder is bidding on the item on ebay because he regretted not going higher on the item.
I think there is a whole sect on this site of a bunch of jealous men who can not stand to see other people make money and get jealous when guy A makes more money than they do. It's bad for the hobby really.

What ever happened to the good ol' days?
IndyGas6 #593219 Tue Jan 20 2015 01:41 PM
JOSBORN Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: IndyGas6
I still am not seeing the issue here. Shill bidding has been happening as long as the history of auctions. If he reserved an item, would you rather he just reserved the item? Or would you complain about all the items being reserved too.
On the item above, I was there when the seller won it at the Kraft Auction on Jan 10th. I also know that the back up bidder is bidding on the item on ebay because he regretted not going higher on the item.
I think there is a whole sect on this site of a bunch of jealous men who can not stand to see other people make money and get jealous when guy A makes more money than they do. It's bad for the hobby really.

Really? crazy

IndyGas6 #593221 Tue Jan 20 2015 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: IndyGas6

I don't care what anyone else makes or has.
I don't care if a seller puts a reserve on an item. In fact I often use reserves.
I do see shill bidding as a big deal. It artificially inflates the value of things. That is bad for the hobby.
Shill bidding is also very illegal!

Lastgas15 #593224 Tue Jan 20 2015 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IndyGas6,
I wonder how many buyers your nonchalant attitude towards shill bidding just cost you at your Peotone and other petroliana auctions?

Lastgas15 #593227 Tue Jan 20 2015 02:25 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

I too find it interesting that an auctioneer/auction house owner tolerates shill bidding... Anyways per eBay's policy on the subject:

Shill bidding happens when anyone—including family, friends, roommates, employees, or online connections—bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability. In addition, members cannot bid on or buy items in order to artificially increase a seller's Feedback or to improve the item's search standing.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you dont, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account. Shill bidding is also illegal in many places and can carry severe penalties.

Reporting shill bidding

Learn more about reporting listing violations. If you think you see shill bidding taking place on a listing, report it to us. Be sure to provide the member's user ID and the item number. We thoroughly investigate every report we receive. Often what appears to be shill bidding isn't a violation. If there is evidence of shill bidding, we will take action, which may include listing cancellation or referral to law enforcement. However, our User Privacy Notice prevents us from disclosing the details of our investigation to other members, including the person who reported the issue.

KentuckyT #593230 Tue Jan 20 2015 02:44 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
This guy knew the T-53 Mobil signs he was selling were fake & he was told that, his reply was, what others don't know don't hurt...Really... how could anyone trust his auctions, it's a person like him that's BAD for the hobby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved