Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
don't be to factious there,, I don't know how old you are but there is a lot of good history and knowledge on this site if you listen..

Wes.......
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Just look at what home prices did.

What does the housing market have to do with this stuff? Home prices tanked because mortgage companies ended up lending to people without properly qualifying them and with little to no money down. Those people ended up not being able to pay, the mortgage companies didn't get their money and the markets were flooded with foreclosures. No correlation to high petroliana prices.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Facetious it was Wes. I am old enough to have grandchildren, not that it matters, and I am on this site for exactly that (history and knowledge) and to have a laugh, every now and then. Too bad it didn't print out on the site like it did on the Star Wars intro.
To collectors of recent vintage, like Steve C and I, those days of past that members have written about are beyond memory and we would love to have experienced a part of it! Having a curb sign given to you or buying $25 dollar porcelain signs (grade 9 or better)! Yes, almost mythical. We are envious too.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Gasman84470
Facetious it was Wes. I am old enough to have grandchildren, not that it matters, and I am on this site for exactly that (history and knowledge) and to have a laugh, every now and then. Too bad it didn't print out on the site like it did on the Star Wars intro.
To collectors of recent vintage, like Steve C and I, those days of past that members have written about are beyond memory and we would love to have experienced a part of it! Having a curb sign given to you or buying $25 dollar porcelain signs (grade 9 or better)! Yes, almost mythical. We are envious too.

grin Amen to that brother!!! Preach on!!!! grin

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used to buy the 6 foot signs for 150 and the pump plates for 50 and never paid over 75 for any porcelain sign and 25 for the tin signs......Oh the memories!

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It just was not that long ago guys, and it seems to have just blown by. Years that is. Still have the pictures and yes people now are collecting what collectors then just threw away.

Craig
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I remembered when I wouldn't pay more than $50.00 for a gas pump. Never paid more than that for 34s, 36B, 850s, and 60s.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think these prices will hold for a while , just because of the worth of good quality items. The good stuff always demands more money. I really haven't bought much lately because of that , I have collected about all im going to these days unless the good deal comes along, which is far and few between. The days of the cheap stuff has been over for along time. Im sure this market will be corrected in time, and I am also glad I didn't shell out the big bucks throughout my collecting years.

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: JeffS
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Just look at what home prices did.

What does the housing market have to do with this stuff? Home prices tanked because mortgage companies ended up lending to people without properly qualifying them and with little to no money down. Those people ended up not being able to pay, the mortgage companies didn't get their money and the markets were flooded with foreclosures. No correlation to high petroliana prices.

My point was houses spiked to ridiculous prices before they tanked, Just like Oil, Gas, etc. Everything has its day.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'm glad I've already built a collection that I'm satisfied with.

The prices seen at auctions, ebay, and shows are indeed spiraling upward. The best relief is to go out and find stuff yourself. Putting the word out that you collect, put ads in your local paper, track down every lead you can dig up.

A lot of us didn't build the majority of our collection by going to auctions...we did it by putting miles on our trucks, talking to people, knocking on doors, etc..etc...you get the picture.

Auctions and ebay can help you fill in your collection, just don't be afraid to go out and find it yourself. Good luck on the search!

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I haven't been in this hobby long so you can take my views with that in mind. As long as there is buyers paying ridiculous prices the answer is no.

Comparing housing market to petro? The only thing I took out of the 2008 crash was while the effect was wide spread,it didn't effect petro prices. Yes maybe less money was spent. Less people having money to travel to shows. But prices were still strong. Why because there is interest in this stuff among young people. Look at antiques, young people have no interest in them and prices have tanked,baseball cards which was a big thing now bring pennies on the dollar that one payed for them back when every young boy had a collection. Collectors make fun of the term Mancave,but if you are a seller you know that young guys and their mancaves are a big part of your sells and are somewhat driving prices.

The joy is in the hunt! Us guys that are just getting our feet wet,face it we are 20 years late. The hunt is harder and you need a big wallet to play. But the good news is its still out there.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Sat Jan 24 2015 08:00 AM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Globe values were certainly affected by the economy meltdown. Mid priced globes seemed to be affected more than entry level and high end globes. Mid range globe values took a hit of as much as 30% and remained flat for awhile. Globe values have climbed steadily since sometime in '12 or '13 and are now back higher than they were before.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
just don't be afraid to go out and find it yourself.

This is the key I've been trying to do this more and it's paid off most of the time.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been collecting for almost 10 years and during that time. I have noticed that the prices have gone up approx 100-150%. This price increase doesn't bother me, as I'm not in it for the money. It won't be me, selling my collection....what my children get out of it; quite frankly, won't matter to me. The only thing, I know for sure is that where I'm going next you can't take this stuff or money with you. Might as well enjoy them both while I'm here.

As far as the current pricing, I don't think it bothers the new collector's as they came into the hobby with these being "normal" prices for them. They chose to start collecting knowing what sort of access to funds would be required.

I believe, that long term collectors with established collections are the only ones that complain about the prices. This is because they have to overcome the shock of paying more then what they paid for their first sign, pump, oil can or globe. I wonder if they have ever stopped to think of what they use to pay for cart full of groceries? Or their first car, first house....well you get my drift. Everything has gone up and gas & oil collectibles are no different.

The natural progression of collecting is we start with the common items and as we evolve and mature as a collector we start collecting the bigger ticket items. I believe this is what makes the established collector's notice the prices and then complain about the upward trend in prices. It seems like every time I want to add a new sign or pump to the collection I'm looking at a $5,000-$10,000 touch.

Upon reflection, that is the only thing I wish; I would have done differently. If somehow, I would have bought the big ticket items first...like the show case pumps, Wayne Romans or the Erie 50 series pumps. When, I first started collecting the Romans were selling for $5,000 for an unrestored one; now they are at $20,000.00. But then again....that is the price we pay for knowledge and experience.

Personally, for the me the sting of the price tag is sort lived compared to the the euphoria and pleasure of adding another item to the collection. Collect the best you can afford...or maybe even buy beyond your means and you will never regret it!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
...or maybe even buy beyond your means and you will never regret it!

And I thought only Americans thought this way! wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved