Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
I am trying to bring a VR computer and variator back to life (not sure of the terminology). I have cleaned them up, painted the rusted pieces and lubed what looks like it should be lubed. Some pics are attached. From poking around, I *think* it may be a Model 56A. It was in a Wayne Model 1 from about 1965.

The variator and computer seem to be working well except that some of the price wheels on the variator seem to be "sticking" and are reluctant to budge when I change the price setting. During the rebuild, I noticed that the small springs and plastic covers that lodge in the detents in the bottom of the wheels were worn. Is this the cause and is there an easy fix?

Barry

DSCN0111a.jpg DSCN0112a.jpg DSCN0100a.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
OP Offline
G
Still hoping that somebody that has experience with these units can help with ideas on how to get the price wheels to move freely. Thanks!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Years ago (about 1991) I was invited to Hartford, Conn. to clean out the PNP warehouse of all the old ECO parts they didn't want. They are or were one of the largest companies that rebuilt computers. They rebuilt so many ECOs they even made their own face plates and ID tags with their name on them.

After they darn near filled my truck with all the ECO stuff they wanted to get rid of I asked them a question about gas pump computers. Way over to the side of the building was an area where a number of employees were seated behind a computer putting them back together. I asked if I could watch while a young lady reassembled one. She verbally explained each of the things she was doing. This goes here, that goes there, hold this while you turn this. Then she said now when you turn this all the wheels will come back to all "0s".

Well....it didn't. It was at that time that I decided I had majored in the wrong thing in college, I should have studied engineering.

So, my advice, if you don't have a degree in Engineering don't take a V/R computer apart.

But, if you still want to try, I have V/R service manuals available.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Feb 11 2015 12:35 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'm still waiting for Joe to write the instructions book. I've mastered the tear down part, but after that -----.

ROD [Mich.]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved