Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A very simple way to stop the sellers on ebay with their fraudulent claims on original signs that aren't original. Or the ones not stating reproduction. Or the ones hammering out the dates like they do on those Hood Tires signs. Well, it's a very easy thing to do. Buy their item & pay for it. Once it has been delivered DO NOT open the package. Simply write REFUSED on it and it will be returned to the seller at no cost to you. Ask for your refund or file a claim if need be stating ''not as described''. Paypal will refund you in full and the seller(s) are out their money for shipping. Do this enough times making it so costly and a pain in the butt it will undoubtedly put it end to many of those jokers on ebay. You can also leave negative feedback warning all other buyers. The negative feedback will scare off any unsuspecting buyers. Plus you won't have to continually tell the same people who come to this site for answers to the same problem of ''Is it real of fake''.

If you are wondering if this will work. Being an ex-mail carrier for 17 years it will as long as the package has not been opened. Being a power seller on ebay now I know Paypal protects the buyers 100% of the time whether they are wrong or right ALL the time. If you don't want to do this then expect the B.S. on ebay to continue.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How can you file a claim for not as described when you refuse a package without opening it for inspection.....? Will the claims people not even question the discrepancy? Just curious.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
there is plenty of ways to get back at them... all of them require more time than I'm willing to give them.

Last edited by BryceG; Tue Jan 27 2015 02:48 PM.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You are not going to end, stop, or even slow down the sale of repops and fantasy items for sale on ebay. There is simply too much money being made on them.

I do respect your passion though.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
You are not going to end, stop, or even slow down the sale of repops and fantasy items for sale on ebay. There is simply too much money being made on them.

I do respect your passion though.
I agree...Education of petro items is our best tool to fight this.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
As I always said, I wish you could post comments on e-bay items. Yes, you will get the occasional person who will post "this is fake" when in fact the item is original, but twenty other guys would reply, "No, it's not." But when an item really is fake, you would have 50 to 100 people ragging on the guys item for all to see.

And yes you will get people trying to claim an item is fake, so no one else bids on it, but the educated buyer will know otherwise (or like mentioned above, twenty other people will respond, "no it's not")

It would be similar to this site. When someone has a nice piece. People comment, "Nice sign" etc. When something gets posted that is fantasy on here, it is appropriately commented on as well.

This is why I think E-bay should allow comments for all to see.

With that theory stated... I don't know that they ever will, because they won't make as much money (percentage on each item). If they were 100% dedicated to protecting the buyer, they should consider this.

Imagine how many less signs from India would be purchased if we were able to comment to the un-educated people bidding on it(resulting in that many less fakes making it over here into our market, and that many less sales for them).

I am not saying this is the end-all solution, however I believe it would help. Any help with this growing problem would be appreciated, in my opinion.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You used to be able to see the bidders ID and warn them on what they were bidding on, but now there ID is all scrambled.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Rabbitman......Being a seller myself on ebay with over 20,000 feedbacks and a store with around 900 listings. I see it day in & out. When a buyer states whatever they want be it the truth or an outright lie ebay/paypal will stand behind the buyer every time. Even if in the message center the buyer states I bought this by mistake and when they file a claim all they have to do is state defective or not as described or even state it was mistake they are refunded. Ebay also stated back in Sept. of 2014 if a buyer states item is defective the seller is responsible to pay the return postage EVEN if it marked in your listing buyers pay return postage. And even if item is not defective they will still side with the buyer. ebay has not strongly enforced it ''yet'' but it is coming. My ebay rep stated they want to give the buyer the sense of like buying it from a box store.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ohio Oil ....... You are 100% right. We'll never stop them but it will slow them down. The more people that do it the more it will help even if it does take more time than you want to invest in it. As I've read some replies from other's on this site to other post's that the the repop's may eventually hurt the originals resale value. Whether or not it does is subjective at best. This simple procedure that only costs you time can't hurt no one but the lousy sellers ripping off the public.

Also, ebay will never ever let us post anything about a sellers product during it's sale. It hurts their bottom line and that my friends is why the fraud continues. It's not their money being lost on a fraudulent product nor is it their money not being lost when you refuse that parcel to be returned. But I'm sure some will say they'll lose the fee's on that return. Yes they will but where do you start to fix the problem. Ebay sure as hell doesn't care about the problem.

This procedure would work but I doubt many will do it. And that's ok too. It's just a thought on my part when I see all the ranting and raving about these sellers doing what they do. Maybe or maybe not it's our duty to the hobby to help out the uniformed, the newbie to the hobby or it's just the right thing to do costing you a little time and some ink on a parcel stating REFUSED.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can open it, as long as it's under $750 the seller has to pay for return shipping, you can print out a prepaid label right off ebay and ebay will refund your original amount plus shipping once the seller receives the item back. Just went through this twice in the last couple months, one seller very decent, one a total jerk. It's a good idea but ebay may not like it if you do it a lot. Just be sure to photo document everything you do, opening package, item, repacking etc etc

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Why bother open anything if you know the sign is a fake and buying it with the intentions of refusing and having it returned to the scumbag who sold it. Why also even bother printing out a label or hoping ebay forces the seller to pay the return shipping (which they are not yet doing in fullest). ebay may not like this practice but if the seller is misrepresenting or misleading then what choice do they have if any. They want a safe community for it's buyers. And if you want to cover your butt. Take the Hood Tire sign for example. Send the seller the link from garageart.com who's selling those same signs for $33. Those same sellers are hammering off the date and selling that sign for as high as $1500. Would ebay be not happy with a fraudulent seller being caught in the act or the buyer sending that p.o.s back to them. I've been selling on ebay since 2003 and without a doubt the buyers are king in ebay's eyes. They rule in the buyers favor 99.99999% of the time no matter what the problem is with the item. The sellers are at the mercy of ebay & of the buyers. That is a fact I live with and forced to accept if I want to sell on ebay. From their one way feedback system to returns I must accept whether they are defective, not as described, damaged or even not the part I shipped and received back their defective part in place of the one I sent out. The buyers are always right with ebay/paypal always in their corner. I sell new in box and tested used items everyday. With a 99.7% rating and over 20,000 feedback's I bust my rear end representing what I sell. To have a buyer lie or steal from you plus leave wrongfully negative feedback it's hard to swallow. But it's my job and how I feed my family and feed my collecting habit. You take mostly the good with some of bad that inevitably happens.

Again, this is just a thought on how to help stop/curb the problem.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
probably because if you don't open it the seller could cry foul and cancel the sale and you won't be able to leave your feedback which I thought was your point. Guess I don't know what you're trying to do.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A lot of much to accomplish nothing.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Hey Olderthandirt, Isnt this your T53 you sold on ebay?
REPO T53 sold on ebay by Olderthandirt

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Originally Posted By: olderthandirt
Why bother open anything if you know the sign is a fake and buying it with the intentions of refusing and having it returned to the scumbag who sold it.

maybe the guy that bought your reproduction T53 will try YOUR OWN trick on you smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved