Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Did you read the listing............NOT MY SIGN. Sold it for a friend who's dying of cancer who wanted to protect his family with an alarm system when he's gone from this earth. And in fact that alarm system cost over $1800 with monitoring which I donated to the family. Plus I paid the ebay fee's, paypal fee's and covered the shipping. I don't lie, cheat or steal from anyone. Maybe you can come up with a better trick instead to stop the fraud instead of being a smart ***. I'm trying to help the hobby not chase away the future of it. This is exactly why I usually don't ask question's anymore or offer any of knowledge. The negatives or smart *** replies have chased many a collectors from this site (myself included) and I thought I'd give it another try. I've read it too many times before from the same guys over & over again. They cut down the newbie's or anyone not in their ''click'' & offer nothing but disrespect. If you've got nothing nice to say or don't want to help out a fellow hobbyist out that's your choice. But if you have a problem with me I'm not hard to find, we can discuss it like a man and not hide behind a computer screen.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I was simply pointing out a fact.
If you want to combat a problem like you it sounds like you sincerely do, Then try NOT being part of the problem...
thats all I was sayin...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...that doesn't make sense...on one hand, you're trying to expose/strike back at those selling repros as originals; and on the other hand, you list a sign that has got to be (thanks to a few members on this site) the most notorious repro out there:

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=334069

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=554751

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=530254

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=425625

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=300798

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=217275

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=169323

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=131488

...I did read your listing...I also saw the 16 listings for repro/fantasy globes and sconces as well - which, in fairness, are listed as 'new'...

...in your comment above you say you are 'trying to help the hobby' but that you 'don't...offer any of (your) knowledge' anymore because of negative comments - but in your auction (by way of a disclaimer) you state 'I'm by far no sign expert'...?

...it's great that 'Wholesale Security Outlet', your alarm/security business, donated an alarm system to help a friend out and all - but to say that just because the sign wasn't yours, you had no way of knowing that it was a fake......

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Originally Posted By: olderthandirt
Did you read the listing............NOT MY SIGN. Sold it for a friend who's dying of cancer who wanted to protect his family with an alarm system when he's gone from this earth. And in fact that alarm system cost over $1800 with monitoring which I donated to the family. Plus I paid the ebay fee's, paypal fee's and covered the shipping. I don't lie, cheat or steal from anyone. Maybe you can come up with a better trick instead to stop the fraud instead of being a smart ***. I'm trying to help the hobby not chase away the future of it. This is exactly why I usually don't ask question's anymore or offer any of knowledge. The negatives or smart *** replies have chased many a collectors from this site (myself included) and I thought I'd give it another try. I've read it too many times before from the same guys over & over again. They cut down the newbie's or anyone not in their ''click'' & offer nothing but disrespect. If you've got nothing nice to say or don't want to help out a fellow hobbyist out that's your choice. But if you have a problem with me I'm not hard to find, we can discuss it like a man and not hide behind a computer screen.

It just doesn't make sense to me that olderthandirt sells an unmarked reproduction Pegasus T-53 on eBay 221631358768 with nothing in the description stating that it is a fake. Then he promotes a campaign against sellers who offer unmarked repros eBay. Confusing to me. Not trying to be negative or a smart ***.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well let me say this. Cancer is a horrendous disease. I lost my father to. I've lost more friends to it than I can remember And I myself am a cancer survivor. In a moment of compassion selling that t53 sign helping a friend out who's dying. I would do it again in a heart beat. If you want to hold me accountable for 1 sign that wasn't even mine trust I don't care, I would do it again. I donated my time, my alarm equipment, my money to list it, sell it, paid for the fees and the money received for the sign all back to the family. But if this site and it's members want to hang me out to dry for it......I think you know my reply to that.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No one is hanging you out to dry.But you have to admit,it's similar to Ralph Nader driving a Corvair.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Just a thought and its all useless now since the sign is sold, gone, done...

In a situation like this, why did you bother selling the sign. If the man was a friend, keep it. I have done business with you in the past and do not think you are hurting for money...so me personally I would have either kept it and proudly displayed it in his honor...or sold it as a reproduction. My 2 cents.

As for garbage sellers...Here is an offender I found this morning...http://www.ebay.com/sch/dampfer75/m.html?item=131408724848&hash=item1e98920370&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc Like 7k in 3 days ripped from the hobby. Personally this upsets me, because I can be seeing some of those sales...even if you all think my junk is well: JUNK, at least its real if stated so. People that get burned are not so quick to try again to join in the fun.

On another note...When I have time I will see how the heck to upload photos on my cell phone from a recent trip back to Youngstown where I drove by one of the largest offender's business and got some photos of fake knock offs right in his storefront.

I mean honestly, when ***** like this is going on it bums me out that we spend time to try and earn an honest living from buying and selling...I have invested hundreds of thousands in materials..product..TIME... It appears all I needed was a sweat shop and a hammer. Where the freak are these companies legal departments for TM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
No one is hanging you out to dry.But you have to admit,it's similar to Ralph Nader driving a Corvair.

...it's more similar to Ralph Nader selling Corvairs...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that's a very good point, you shouldn't be painting yourself as a saint while knowingly selling something that's fake without disclosing it. the people that complain about oldgas the loudest are the ones with questionable ethics. I think that's a compliment to the membership.
Originally Posted By: Man Cave

In a situation like this, why did you bother selling the sign. If the man was a friend, keep it. I have done business with you in the past and do not think you are hurting for money...so me personally I would have either kept it and proudly displayed it in his honor...or sold it as a reproduction. My 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved