Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#595120 Thu Jan 29 2015 05:03 PM
ABCTrip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am looking for advice on hauling a Tokheim visible with the original cylinder. We are needing pointers on any way that may prevent damage to the glass. This is the first visible we have found with the cylinder intact. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have searched and haven't really found much, but may be putting in the wrong search words. Thank you in advance for any help in getting this home in one piece.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We have always hauled them laying down on car tires which act as shock absorbers and tied down to prevent movement. The tires are placed under "hard" sections and no stress is placed on the cylinder. Be careful and use common sense and you should be OK. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have no personal knowledge but a "funny" sight was seeing the Hops bring their load of pumps laying flat on old mattresses.
Best rested pumps in Iowa. Lonnie said to me that he gets laughs and more importantly no damage!

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Well said above, either way I have used.

Thanks, Phil
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Lay it down with the tire placed just below the cylinder area so the pump rides on the cast piece below the glass and cylinder rods. And yes as Dave said tie it down so it doesn't shift off the tire. Taken many coast to coast and never had a problem.

Good Luck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've always used an old couch cushion under the cylinder and have never lost one.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I used the tire method described in above posts, drove home 180 miles, no problems.

Ed from South Jersey
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Here is how to transport gas pumps.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every visible I have ever had I have laid down on a tire on a trailer. They ride really well.

Last edited by bsplichal95; Thu Jan 29 2015 07:45 PM.

Braden Splichal

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
i sold 2 restored pumps and ask on best way to transport---we warp them in alot of moving blankets-and then use sleeping bags under the cylinder and just below
laying down and tie them off from moving they made it with no problems

un restored we transported a couple--the way i did it using 4x4 x 8 ft post in front of each pump --then with nail gun cross way use short 2x4 to pinch them in
off --tied them off -- standing up- sight to see going down the road

looking for spanish gas signs
ABCTrip Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for all the excellent advice guys. Definately a new use for old matresses. Never thought id be needing to keep one, but my mind is changed. The tire seems to be the winner though. I really appreciate all of the input and will let everyone know how we make out with it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is the last Fry that I helped a friend move. It was a 17 with a 10 gal Wayne conversion. He tied it down after the photo and got it home safely. Good luck...Dave

fry 17 001.JPG

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Have done the hauling all three ways, Standing up in our truck because of the rack we have is the easy way for me because I do not need anyones help. IT also squeezes them so they do not move. Can't lift a heavy one when laying down anymore. The tire one is great also, but mattress work great because you can haul all sorts of things and they move. Trailers do not have much shock absorbing to them thus bumper ride, where the truck has the shocks and new ones are like cars.

Craig
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Do a goggle search for Severngaspumps. On main page under other you will see the word blog. click on it and go to second page. You will see a fry crated. Little extreme if your not going far,but what is the cost of a glass cylinder. I hauled this pump laying down 700 miles.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
another vote for tires here! I have moved a couple dozen visibles on tires (leaving the glass in the pump) with no issues.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved