Next Thread
Print Thread
#595448 Sat Jan 31 2015 09:56 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Wondering if anyone out there has some original Lackner neon clock parts. Specifically a face and front glass. Just don't want to go the reproduction route. It's ok if it's a little worn but not terrible. This is the round face like the chevy time clock. Let me know what you have.
Thanks Aaron

Aaron S. #595595 Sun Feb 01 2015 01:44 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Anyone out there have a decent original face? or have opinions on how much repo glass and face would hurt the value of a clock when going to sell?
Thanks Aaron

Aaron S. #595755 Sun Feb 01 2015 09:55 PM
S
S
Do you have pictures and dimensions? That would help.

Always looking for back-lit advertising clocks, prefer Telechron, American Time & Electric Time. Also Pam in good condition.
Sparky27 #595762 Sun Feb 01 2015 10:12 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Same size as the Chevy time neons 17 -20 im thinking don't have the measurement.

Aaron S. #595768 Sun Feb 01 2015 10:37 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
If your clock is the one pictured, why do you want to replace the face? It looks pretty good to me? I don't think a new outer glass will negatively effect the value too much. Most of the value is on the quality of the face IMO....

Signs&Neons #595772 Sun Feb 01 2015 10:50 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Face is painted aluminum and used to have diamonds and watch repair written across the top and the jewelers name in the middle but someone decided to paint over the words. Tried to get some of the paint off and it takes the lettering off with it. Closer up you can see where it's painted Over and I don't like it. Plus the face is pretty boring. Just wanted to find a different face that was a little more appealing to the eye is all.

Last edited by Aaron S.; Sun Feb 01 2015 10:51 PM.

Aaron S. #595785 Mon Feb 02 2015 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Aaron,

I've restored four lackner clocks now, three Chevy clocks and one Oldsmobile clock. I've sold all three Chevies, keeping the Olds for myself. Actually thinking it might be fun to collect them all, Packard, Chevy, etc. They are exactly the same as yours, dealer clocks. The Olds clock is the only one I've had with a decent clock face, but it was still disintegrating. I decided to clearcoat the clockface in order to save it from further destruction, worked well, had to be done. The other clocks were too badly gone to use the original clockfaces. I would suggest buying the reproduction clockface and putting the original behind the new clockface in the clock, you wont be able to see it, but its in the clock if anyone every wants it. Your clock is missing the "Chevy Time" on the face, too bad someone painted over it. I guess you could add back the "chevy time" to the original face using vinyl lettering too.

Ive never seen a lackner clock yet where I was able to save the printing on the glass, its turned to powder, those I've had to replace on all the clocks with reproductions so far. If I ever find one with nice glass, I wont even touch that glass from the inside, because it may look good but probably just undisturbed powder!

I havent had any problems selling the Chevrolet clocks with repro faces so far, last one I sold I think went for $1500 or so restored. Took two or three months to sell on ebay, I'm sure a nice unrestored original is worth more but theres nothing you can do about it, finding an original clockface in nice condition thats not already in a clock is going to be a small miracle, just not likely going to happen!

If you want to see restored lackner, its in my pictures of pumps/restored items in the forums.

If you need the printing that goes on the little dealer sign inside the clock, contact me via PM. (You know that's a separate piece of metal that screws on the clock face?). I duplicated the lettering on my computer so that any local sign maker with a vinyl cutter can make it. If you want to go completely stock looking, you need to spray it blue with glass bead so its reflective, I haven't tried doing that yet myself, but will probably go that route on next clock I restore.

Hope this helps, and they are way cool clocks...

- Paul

Last edited by Paul Bell; Mon Feb 02 2015 02:38 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved