Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Hello, me and my brother bought this gaspump a few weks ago. We would like to now is this an original cadillac pump and is there more information about this pump availible.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
No, it's a farm pump that someone has restored and put a reproduction fantasy sign on.

L
OP Offline
L
I am not familiar with concept of a farm pump, can you explain? Is it a pump for home use? Sorry for my english it is not my first language.

Last edited by Lucmeeuw; Sat Jan 31 2015 05:49 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
yes, the pump was used for private use, not a commercial sale point.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Commercial pumps had calculators or meters on them to display the retail price of gasoline to the consumer. Farmers bought a scaled back version that has very little for display, hence the lower profile, plain appearance and lack of a computer or calculator display, and no advertising inserts for retailers.

They are simply and on/off fuel pump and are very plain looking. The brand is a Smith and Cadillac had nothing to do with the pump. Pumps were made by pump manufacturers and they could be branded with just about anything if they were commercially used.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As mentioned above, this is a commercial pump. It was used in locations where it was not necessary to determine the price of the gasoline that was being pumped, such as farms, taxi garages, trucking companies, etc. The box on the top of your pump is a Veeder-Root computer that only computed the number of gallons being pumped, many commercial pumps didn't even have this feature. They were just pumps in a cabinet.

A.O. Smith made pumps for service station and the commercial trade. Many are shown in my Gas Pump Identification book.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
L
OP Offline
L
Where can i find youre book Jack Sim? I would like to order it.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Unfortunately both the 1st & the 2nd edition of my books are out of print. I am presently working on a 3rd edition, but it will probably not be ready until late Spring.

In the mean time, my books are available on Amazon as E-Books. I don't receive anything on the sales of these, but they might help you to identify pumps. The values may also be somewhat dated, but assuming you are asking about somewhat common pumps, start with what guys are asking for similar pumps here on OG, compare that with my values in the book, and you should get a general idea of how values have increased. When it comes to commercial pumps, the values have increased, but not that much.

If you are interested in a copy of my book by way of E-book, I suggest you purchase the 2nd Edition.

Now, here is the important part. When looking at a particular pump, the information about the pump is always below the picture, so if you are looking at a pump and there is information above the pump, this for the previous pump.

Of course if you really want a copy of either of my books, they are being offered on Amazon or Ebay at $125.00 to $175.00 per copy (I really wish I had some to sell).

Hang in there, but send me your email address and I will add your email address to my list of people wanting a copy of the new book. I have never, nor will I ever use email addresses of members here on OG. If you send me an email, I automatically add your address to my list, but I will not go into OG looking for email addresses.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved