Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59630 Sat Aug 14 2004 05:07 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have a porcelain on steel Mobil oil sigh that I would like to learn more about. The sign is 36 by 60 inches. There are only words on the sign and they are: “Let us MOBILOIL your car Engine: Chassis: Gears” The color of the sign is red with a black border. The words “MOBILOIL Engine: Chassis: Gears” are white and “Let us your car” are black. The sign has mounting holes as if it were on the side of a building. There are rust holes in the surface and around several of the mounting holes. Any information on age or territory of use would be appreciated. I found the sign in northern Indiana, though I now live in Florida. A value may be helpful if someone is knowledgeable in that area as well. I could email a photo if that would be helpful. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#59631 Mon Aug 16 2004 08:55 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Hi Tedd, hope you ducked CHARLEY. Best I recall this sign is from the mid 1920's used by Vacuum oil-Mobilgas. There are 3 or 4 signs of this type Red with the Black self framed border. I have seen the sign priced at $900 to $1100 but doesn't seem to sell. There was one like yours in better (no rust) condition at the Columbus oil show at a bargin price of $430, it sold. The sign is around but hard to find in very good condition. A fair price for the sign in average condition would be $450-$550. The condition of any sign effects the price greatly.
Oldgas.com member

#59632 Mon Aug 16 2004 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome back REX and to you Todd as well.........

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Misssouri

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#59633 Mon Aug 16 2004 09:46 AM
Online Cool
You said it, Scott! An old friend and a new friend. It's a good day for the Oldgas.com community.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#59634 Mon Aug 16 2004 10:01 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Rex and Scott

Thanks for the information. I have had the sign for some time. My speciality is license plates, mostly Indiana, have been working on a complete set(1913 - to date). We moved to Florida two years ago with my collection. I also brought along a Wayne Model 100 pump I intended to restore someday. Don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject, but I am having trouble identifying the pump from the internet. There is only one glass window on the fronts and no spinner just a cut-out. There is a place for a globe, but of course no globe. It is missing the whole back door. Is it worth even starting to restore, or should I look for a better condition model to start with? I like Wayne or Tokheim since I'm from Ft Wayne where both companies had factories.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved