Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
seems to me a lot of people are like totally against accepting paypal as a payment.. I'm looking at selling something and now im wondering WHY? As a seller do they not protect you? I just need to know thanks in advance!

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Paypal seems like the most secure. So im not sure why they wouldnt like it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
they don't want to pay any fees on there $$$$$$$$$ profits

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How much sense does it make to give 3% of your money away? I take paypal on ebay because it's required but don't otherwise. To answer your question, no, they don't protect sellers at all, like totally smirk
Originally Posted By: rockytops
seems to me a lot of people are like totally against accepting paypal as a payment.. I'm looking at selling something and now im wondering WHY? As a seller do they not protect you? I just need to know thanks in advance!

Last edited by Neil Gerrard; Fri Feb 06 2015 07:18 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Neil Gerrard
How much sense does it make to give 3% of your money away?

For me, it doesn't make sense to not accept PayPal. By not doing so, you are eliminating a large segment of your potential buyers. I'm hesitant to send a check or money order to someone I don't know. PayPal, while not perfect, provides a level of protection that far exceeds mailing a check or MO. If you are concerned about the 3% fees, just incorporate that into your prices.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: JeffS
For me, it doesn't make sense to not accept PayPal. By not doing so, you are eliminating a large segment of your potential buyers.

What is 3% in the big scheme of things? I fail to understand why 3% is such a big deal breaker. I pay 40%+ income tax. I pay 12% sales tax. 15-20% buyers premiums. Looking at 30% inheritance tax on my father's estate. 15% tips to waitresses. Property taxes, road and bridge tolls...the government has got me so use to paying taxes that 3% seems so inconsequential.

E-bay is different. I fail to see what protection a seller needs in a private transaction such as on Oldgas sales. Seller is the one holding the goods and the money. Buyer is placing more trust in the seller then vice versa.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Fri Feb 06 2015 08:07 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't need a large segment of potential buyers, 99% of what I sell on Oldgas or elsewhere sells easily. If someone isn't comfortable sending me a check then they can move on, no harm no foul. If someone wants to give money away then they're either very wealthy or never learned the value of money and working for it. Dave, just because you give money away to the government and others shouldn't make you not care about the 3%, it should make you care more. You have a choice. If someone walked up to you and said give me $30 out of that $1000 sale for essentially doing nothing would you just hand it to them? Yes paypal serves a purpose but as a seller why use them if you don't have to, seems silly to me but to each their own. Regarding those percentages you pay, would you still pay them if given the choice?
Originally Posted By: JeffS
Originally Posted By: Neil Gerrard
How much sense does it make to give 3% of your money away?

For me, it doesn't make sense to not accept PayPal. By not doing so, you are eliminating a large segment of your potential buyers. I'm hesitant to send a check or money order to someone I don't know. PayPal, while not perfect, provides a level of protection that far exceeds mailing a check or MO. If you are concerned about the 3% fees, just incorporate that into your prices.

Last edited by Neil Gerrard; Fri Feb 06 2015 08:45 PM.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I don't sell on ebay, The 3% doesn't mean a thing to me. I just Don't like Them Telling Me What I Have to Do to sell.

Last edited by Tbirdgas; Fri Feb 06 2015 09:29 PM.
For the buyer paypal is fast and secure and the seller can't say he never got your check or money order....lost in the mail ya know. For the seller he would know pretty fast if the buyer was really serious and not saying the " checks in the mail" and after 2 weeks you finally figure out he was just blowing smoke about buying your item, and now you have to start all over in trying to sell it. As for the 3%, either add it to your asking price or eat it. As for offering paypal as a form of payment, if you don't it will cut down on willing buyers, but then again if you have a hot item it won't matter as much and someone who really has to have it will be willing to pay for it in any form you want. The worst part in any deal is unscroupulous sellers AND buyers....another subject altogether.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Would anyone really pass on buying an item they want or need because a seller doesn't accept paypal?
I know I wouldn't.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All valid points. All are valid positions to take.

Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Would anyone really pass on buying an item they want or need because a seller doesn't accept paypal?
I know I wouldn't.

Kinda exactly what I was trying to say. as much as I wouldn't walk away from a purchase because of 3%. I wouldn't give up a sale or narrow the pool of potential buyers for 3%.

Neil, it's not that I don't place a value on money. It's as simple as, I value convenience and time (both as a seller and a buyer) more then 3%. Don't focus on the $30 so much that you fail to consider the $970. I'll give $30 away any day to secure a $970.00 sale. Most business models spend more then 3% on advertising to secure sales.

Most of us, use credit cards to to collect cash rebates, awards or points. The merchant where you made your purchase is paying similar charges (sometimes in excess of 3%) depending on the card. Those incentives paid by the credit card companies are down loaded to the merchants. For me 3% is simply another cost of doing business. Just like listing fees are a sellers responsibility in my opinion so should the fee's associated with acceptance of payments.

Anyways, no right or wrong position. Just a matter of personal preference, ones interpretation and position on buyers and sellers obligations and responsibilities.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The 3% fee isn't horrible IMO, just when you start adding ebay fees it starts to get out of control. You can't really find the buyers without ebay, so trying to save that PayPal 3% makes the whole transaction a little more palatable. If it wasn't for the instaneous payment aspect of PayPal I wouldn't use it either, that I like so I grudgingly encourage buyers to use PayPal. Also, PayPal isn't real friendly to sellers when issues come up. The up to 6 months to dispute a transaction is really ridiculous. I'm glad ebay spun off PayPal, maybe it'll get better.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It should be in the dictionary as: Paypal; fees suck.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Online Cool
In the big picture, any business that accepts credit card payments has to figure a transaction fee into the cost of doing business. When you buy gas, go out to eat or purchase things at a store, the business pays a percentage to the payment processor. Nobody likes fees. But they pay for the service and convenience you get.

Interesting that when we collected money for Dick Bennett's widow, 99% of you sent the money via Paypal. Only a few sent it as a "Paypal gift" and very few as a check. I never mentioned fees or that I would cover the fees. I was very happy to get what we got and Paypal made it easy for me. I personally think we raised more for her because we used Paypal.

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Feb 07 2015 09:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved