Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
moore798 #598310 Sun Feb 15 2015 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
or...a local crook will buy it and sell it as an original and meet up in a public place to complete the transaction. A lot of pickers would buy it thinking they were buying a $15,000 sign for a steal. Greed gets greed...

I wouldn't be so quick to throw that 1500 out the window...I'm still young and mischievous so I can think of a lot fun things to do in order to lose 1500.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: minuteman
This sign even has the Vilas Enamel Sign Co. on it like originals. Holy Moly, get a dozen of those over here and hovoc will reign, hey Davey...

Just saw this . Havent seen it but does not sound good

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just looked there are obvious give aways as to why its not real . But Earl (oil king I think ) not good to put a site out telling them how to make their signs better and more accurate . If anyone wants to know how to authenticate red indian pieces . Ask some of the guys on here for private messages . Art has had fakes out on every valuable painting for a long time . Make sure you buy from a reputable collector or reputable auction house and you will never have a problem .

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Reputable auction house??? Name one! Hahaha. That sign is pretty scarey though.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yep and the only way to put this ***** down is all of us working together . That's how the sports cards , Art etc have beaten the reproductions . It sucks for sure . I have dealt a lot with ebay over the years . But I now notice that all the good pieces never see e bay anymore . So if a rare gem like a 3 foot red indian shows up there you know its junk especially from Mumbai

W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
All those things that (Oil KING ) pointed out may or may not be right,,, I have about 15 pictures of RI signs on my computer that I have sold over the last 25 years and there aren't two the same.. There are always differences somewhere on them.. and not all of them have the makers name either.. some with a pointed nose , some with different braids and markings.. Buying from a reputable dealer isn't always a sure thing either because they also don't always know,, and can be fooled.. digging one out of a barn that has an inch of dirt on it from a collector that has either died or is just about dead MIGHT be a sure thing..lol... but only if he has had it since birth.. This collecting is not for the faint of heart anymore...

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are always ways to prove a sign is legit . Most of the high end USA signs have been reproduced for years . Sure has not hurt their value any . There is a dating process that also can tell you age 100 % accurately , If there is any discrepancies . I got fooled once .But only when I bought a piece I wasn't educated on .

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Reported...

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
[quote=redindianguy] Earl (oil king I think ) not good to put a site out telling them how to make their signs better and more accurate. [/quote]

If the idiots in Bombay can't get one right from copying an original that they have in their hands, then what's a picture going to do? I mean seriously? Don't think for a second that the crooks over here don't ship them original signs to have copied. :blush:

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: redindianguy
There are always ways to prove a sign is legit . Most of the high end USA signs have been reproduced for years . Sure has not hurt their value any . There is a dating process that also can tell you age 100 % accurately , If there is any discrepancies . I got fooled once .But only when I bought a piece I wasn't educated on .

Exactly Dave. Research Research Research

Daryl
moore798 #599367 Sat Feb 21 2015 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
4 hrs too go, at 2550... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow now this is the first fake that has seriously fooled me, I'm no expert on red indian signs but I collect Canadian signs and I have never seen a Vilas stamp on a fake. Good to know tho, sign is scrap metal as far as I'm concerned

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: advertologist
4 hrs too go, at 2550... cool

Wow lol I wonder if his auctions are all rigged ?? every feedback is private . Its certainly interesting . I don't think he even showed the other side

W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
ya he did , it's the side with two fingers on it

Wes.......
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
Well I don't mind admitting it, it has me fooled,, other than it's in India I would never know.. I have pictures of a lot of Red Indian signs in my computer and 4 of them are 3 footers and I can't tell the differences.. there isn't two exactly 100% the same with my eyes. must be getting to old for this hobby..

SOLD $3550

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sat Feb 21 2015 02:28 PM.

Wes.......
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved