Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#600452 Thu Feb 26 2015 02:32 PM
O
OP Offline
O
hello all
I have three items here that I am wondering the value.
they are all from our closed gas station, the first is a tire balancing sign. This sign has been with us since at least the sixties and is made of tin but it is VERY thin. Second is the quaker state oil drums. I am sure you guys have seen these before I have also I just am not sure of the value. And finally is our Rema tip top tire repair cabinets. These were given to us By rema. I forget exactly when but I am going to guess somewhere around the seventies. If anybody has any info about the items or the value it would e greatly appreciated!

rsz_oil2.jpg rsz_oil2.jpg rsz_tip.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The wheels balanced sign appears to be of homemade nature, and is not advertising a specific brand or brand of service. It does seem older, but probably has somewhat low value, based on the fact that it is not a branded sign, and while "homemade" folk arty type automotive signs can have considerable value, they have to be older and more graphic than that one.

Last edited by 2 Gallon Luke; Thu Feb 26 2015 04:01 PM.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke
The wheels balanced sign appears to be of homemade nature, and is not advertising a specific brand or brand of service. It does seem older, but probably has somewhat low value, based on the fact that it is not a branded sign, and while "homemade" folk arty type automotive signs can have considerable value, they have to be older and more graphic than that one.

I disagree with most of this if not all of it.

Lot's of generic or non branded signs have value. The sign is question appears to be a period correct original sign to me. In my opinion, it has some cool factor. Condition appears to be working against it. In that condition, I would value it in the $100.00 range.

If it cleans up and polishes up, it's value would go up.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Thu Feb 26 2015 06:45 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Originally Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke

I disagree with most of this if not all of it.

Lot's of generic or non branded signs have value. The sign is question appears to be a period correct original sign to me. In my opinion, it has some cool factor. Condition appears to be working against it. In that condition, I would value it in the $100.00 range.

If it cleans up and polishes up, it's value would go up.

X2

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
O
OP Offline
O
thank you for the info guys there is a very good chance that sign was made by a local sign maker who we were friendly with.
I attached the photos of the oil drums that I forgot to attach originally

rsz_oil.jpg
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
The drums are easily disposed of for $30-50 each as an average.

The REMA cabinet will sell at most swaps for someone looking for storage in their own garage and should bring $120-150, at least my last few did.

Now the wheel balanced sign. It's a generic rack or tacker sign that could have been made and/or provided through any number of sources, jobber catalog, tire balancer company ad campaign, etc. It doesn't look like a local sign company type work but rather a mass produced process where many were made at one time. Typically a local sign maker would make signs that were either much larger or more personalized. For instance, larger Alignment, Wheels Balancing type signs visible from passing vehicles.
Value? $60-100.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved