Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
I just picked up Saturday a Rio Grande Serv. (service) porcelain neon sign... missing the neon. It's rectangle.. sort of... 19 inches tall and about 8 feet long. Tu-tone blue and white letters. I have both sides, but I think there is a center that holds the wiring, transformer and frame to hold it up. I looked in the Gas station company sign book and nothing mentioned like this. Does anyone have one or know when they used it?

------------------
Thanks Lyle drolds@earthlink.net

Thanks Lyle westneb44@yahoo.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here's a Rio Grande map graphic. It's probably like what is shown at the top of the map? If you have a photo of the sign you can email it to me and I can post it for you. That would help a lot. thepoormansmuseum@verizon.net

C Cragg
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Thanks... I'll e-mail shortly. Lyle

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here's the sign. Looks more like the canopy sign than what I was thinking. Missing the can that goes between as you stated. I'm guessing this one was used 40's-50's, but someone else here may know better than I.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

C Cragg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
nice signs

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...any chance this was a 'privilege panel' (personalized with the garage name) for a larger B. F. Goodrich neon sign? I'm not down with Rio Grande's marketing, but the 'light blue/white/dark blue' sure reminds me of B. F. Goodrich...

...just found this ashtray image on ebay - although it's only one blue (probably due to the added cost of another color) that bottom sign sure looks like yours...

[This message has been edited by gulfiend! (edited 03-19-2007).]

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Yes the shape does look close, but who knows. I'd like to see a picture of a station with my sign. Does anyone else have a sign like this in their collection?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved