Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
It seems that your standard estate appraiser can't/won't handle appraisal of petroliana. Specifically, restored & unrestored gas pumps & lubesters, gas cans, oil bottles, etc.

Can anyone recommend, or at least identify a qualified petroliana appraiser in the San Francisco Bay Area? Feel free to PM if you don't feel comfortable posting such info.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
In September a large auction house out of New York City flew me out to Palm Springs, CA to appraise a $2,000,000 collection, consisting of items you listed. It also included a couple of cars, many signs and clocks, and a large variety of just plain advertising collectibles.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
The estate I'm handling clocks in at about $10.5m, but the bulk of that was his prized Ferrari which sold last month at $7.7m. I've had all the cars appraised really only leaving the gas pumps, an Eco Tireflator and a couple misc items which I suspect will come in somewhere in the $30-40k range total (best guess).

I'm trying to avoid paying expenses to fly someone in if I can, which is why I'm looking for someone local (i.e., driving distance).

Last edited by RonG; Sun Mar 01 2015 06:16 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you offer Jack free beer and dart games he may just spring for his own flight. laugh

R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Scott Baselt
If you offer Jack free beer and dart games he may just spring for his own flight. laugh

How about if I throw in a baseball pinball machine for his troubles in place of dart games? No dart games in the estate...

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Plenty of people down there that can identify prices, can't believe no one from down there is chiming in.

Craig
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Neither can I, especially given the number of views this thread has had.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Dan Matthews with the Morphy's Auction House is definitely qualified for the job , he is quite often in Cali, AZ, etc. currently he is in the east but that changes daily,, call him, personal cell 217-259-7059 if you didn't want to go thru Morphy's..

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There's a lot of guys in the Bay Area but in California you need to be a state certified appraiser to do this! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would have posted his office number... Putting his personal number out there?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: hancock-oil
There's a lot of guys in the Bay Area but in California you need to be a state certified appraiser to do this! Jim

Not entirely true. There are many kinds of items where you will never find a certified appraiser that knows anything about it. For example, name a certified appraiser that is an expert on antique, high wheel bicycles. As I was told by someone who has been before the court numerous times in probate cases, if your appraisal comes from someone who is clearly an expert in that particular field, their opinion will hold over a certified appraiser that doesn't know squat about the matter.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you suspect the items are "only" about $30-$40K, post pictures on old gas. Unless it is a very rare/ uncommon/ unusual item, you should be able to get a good idea of what they are worth. Not sure why you need the $number. If for insurance or something, they may need it in writing. If you just need a close estimate so you can price and sell them, you shouldn't need a certified or written estimate.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: RonG
The estate I'm handling clocks in at about $10.5m, but the bulk of that was his prized Ferrari which sold last month at $7.7m. I've had all the cars appraised really only leaving the gas pumps, an Eco Tireflator and a couple misc items which I suspect will come in somewhere in the $30-40k range total (best guess).

I'm trying to avoid paying expenses to fly someone in if I can, which is why I'm looking for someone local (i.e., driving distance).

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Actual valuation number, as opposed to a range, is what is required to establishing the value of an estate and therefore the IRS's take in Fed Estate Taxes, if applicable to the estate.

A value range is fine only as a reference if the item(s) are to be sold (I should expect to between `x' and `y').

Last edited by RonG; Sun Mar 15 2015 02:23 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Where do get the "Certified Appraiser" license? Is the person you apply to more knowledgeable in the area than I might be? My specialty is gas pumps and air meters having written four books on the subjects and I have a working knowledge of all petroliana in general.

Does writing books make you a "Certified Appraiser?"

I really would like some answers on this subject.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved