Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#601061 Sun Mar 01 2015 05:37 PM
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'm looking to replicate (on the cheap) what I saw Ron Pratte had in his massive, spotless garage. He had numerous gas globes hung from track lighting strip. http://blog.classiccars.com/eye-candy-ro...-carousel-29704

Does anyone have suggestions on where to find the necessary material for doing this? I thought somewhere I saw a pendant attachment for gas globes, but I don't want to install individual electrical outlet boxes for each globe...thus the idea of using a track lighting strip (which means low voltage).

Last edited by RonG; Sun Mar 01 2015 05:38 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

He installed those on his bar joists, and probably has electrical boxes at each globe.

Don't have a clue as to using strip lighting ???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That would be totally scary for anything with any value! Stop an think--- the glass globe would actually be suspended over the floor and secured by 3 screws tightened in against the body?
I could never do it!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I didn't say I had a solution...I just think it's a cool look and wondered aloud how it could be achieved (tho my collection would number about 2 to start vs Pratte's!)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You'll need globe rings securely anchored to your ceiling joists. You can get globe rings from any of the pump restoration/reproduction suppliers like Vics 66, Time Passages, etc.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
You could mount the Rings/globes to the electrical boxes assuming they are suitably anchored to your framing. I would never hang anything other than the designated fixture on a track lighting rail. They are not designed to carry any additional load. Also, many track lights operate at line (110v nominal), Not low voltage. Good luck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
That would be totally scary for anything with any value! Stop an think--- the glass globe would actually be suspended over the floor and secured by 3 screws tightened in against the body?
I could never do it!

maybe repo's, nothing original- in a heart beat your globe is worthless... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They did make one piece "canopy globes" that were used just as the OP wants to do. The only difference was the image was rotated 180 degrees. As long as there are no chips or cracks in the globe body there shouldn't be a problem.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Check out parts suppliers for globe mount rings. Usually in the under $20.00 range. Then spend the time and money to wire it correctly with boxes at each position, etc. "On the cheap" might get your house burned down? Then the " cheap" becomes costly. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

R
R
It's a very good look and I can tell you that in all the years that the globes were displayed there was never a single casualty other than when we had to rotate the lenses. And one must remember not just the price of the globes but the priceless cars they were hanging over. Again if you do it right you should not have any problems.
Regards,
Rory

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Risk vs reward....not worth it to me.

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Less risk mounted upside down in properly secured globe rings, than displaying the globes on a shelf without rings.
There was a restaurant about 30 miles from my home that had globes displayed upside down for 30+ years without any problems.
Having said that, I wouldn't display any globes that way unless I had a very high ceiling.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Mon Mar 02 2015 05:02 PM.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

One word VIBRATION and that building Ron had with bar joists would scare me... I guess you just tighten them down where you're comfortable with them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres a solution offered by an ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Mile-Ma...=p2056016.l4276

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, it seems the best way to accomplish this may be to find a cheap hanging ceiling lamp fixture of the same diameter as the top of a gas globe and "adapt" it to the end purpose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved