Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#601020 Sun Mar 01 2015 02:30 PM
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
As part of my role administering an estate of classic cars, restored and unrestored antique gas pumps and various collectibles, I need help understanding exactly what I have here.

I believe these are (2) White Eagle Gas eagle statues. They're metal, very, very heavy and approx 12" wide and 32" tall. When I turned one over, I discovered that they're what I believe to be cast iron and at least the base has been filled with concrete. He acquired them back in 2009 for $1,000 and subsequently had them painted white (per the sales receipt, they were referred to as "pair of black birds").

Eagles-both.jpg Eagles-side-left.jpg Eagles-side-right.jpg WhiteEagleGas-bottom.jpg
Last edited by RonG; Sun Mar 01 2015 02:50 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Im not possitive but I think these may be older reproductions.They are for sure in the form of the "White Eagle "station figurines The originals that I've seen dont have a noticable seem In their upper leg area. Also looks like possibly there is a ground seem at the top of the skulls? It appears their heads are coming to a slight point. Also the iron ones I've seen had three anchoring holes-one between their feet and one on each side of their tail feather. Is there any sign of the holes being filled at some point in the past? Again these are nice looking birds- and Im not certain- just dont look quite right to me. The originals look very lifelike. There were also aluminum knockoffs. Could they be aluminum by chance and filled with concrete?

Last edited by JimT; Sun Mar 01 2015 03:55 PM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Reproductions. From afar they look similar to originals, but up close the details are not even close.

R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: JimT
Im not possitive but I think these may be older reproductions.They are for sure in the form of the "White Eagle "station figurines The originals that I've seen dont have a noticable seem In their upper leg area. Also looks like possibly there is a ground seem at the top of the skulls? It appears their heads are coming to a slight point. Also the iron ones I've seen had three anchoring holes-one between their feet and one on each side of their tail feather. Is there any sign of the holes being filled at some point in the past? Again these are nice looking birds- and Im not certain- just dont look quite right to me. The originals look very lifelike. There were also aluminum knockoffs. Could they be aluminum by chance and filled with concrete?

Not sure where you see seams. Be aware that the yellowish strips in various areas is actually melted candle wax (from candles on the mantle above where these were placed). I simply didn't go thru the hassle to remove it before taking those pictures.

As for aluminum, I'll do the magnet test the next time I'm at the property to determine if the birds are concrete filled aluminum or cast iron.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good info Jim and Tim.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have personally seen several cast iron originals and inspected them closely because I always wanted one.
I can plainly see several seams and the beaks are incorrect too.
Detail in the head area is off too. Definitely reproductions.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
I have personally seen several cast iron originals and inspected them closely because I always wanted one.
I can plainly see several seams and the beaks are incorrect too.
Detail in the head area is off too. Definitely reproductions.

Are there such things as cast iron repro's or are they all aluminum (if not solid concrete)? I won't get to do the magnet test for a few days (it's a 5hr roundtrip drive to where they're located!).

All this feedback is truly appreciated!

Last edited by Oldgas; Mon Mar 02 2015 08:45 PM. Reason: edit to conform with Guidelines
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There were actually some concrete ones made for White Eagle and the detail on them is very good. A friend of mine has 2 of them.
As for the reproductions, I'm really not sure as to the extent and types of reproductions made. I know there were some aluminum repops--not sure on the cast iron or concrete. Anything aluminum is a repop.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
i had 4 at one time kept 2 and these are reproductions. where the tail meets the base should not have a opening or seam ect. I can take a pic. of mine sometime.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah-Im looking at these on my computer now and they are without a doubt repops. The beaks are blunt and the castings are rough. The originals are real smooth when you pet them -lol. Actually I have a couple of them and I'll try to get a picture or two up tomorrow for you.

R
RonG Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Did the "magnet test" and they did not adhere to the metal. So I guess their aluminum repros filled with concrete.

Anybody have an idea of what they're worth?

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Mar 07 2015 02:14 PM. Reason: edit to conform with Guidelines
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Here's a thought for RonG: If you're the administrator of an estate with a number of more expensive gas and oil collectibles, perhaps you could benefit from hiring one of the knowledgeable Old Gas members from California to act as an appraiser.

This would be no different than engaging an independent appraiser to value the old cars in the estate, or any other expert needed to establish values of items with which you don't have deep experience. Plus, I believe the fee paid to the gas and oil "appraiser" would be an expense item accrued to the estate settlement, and not be a cost coming out of your pocket. Just a suggestion. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Sun Mar 08 2015 11:38 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jolly-John
Here's a thought for RonG: If you're the administrator of an estate with a number of more expensive gas and oil collectibles, perhaps you could benefit from hiring one of the knowledgeable Old Gas members from California to act as an appraiser.

This would be no different than engaging an independent appraiser to value the old cars in the estate, or any other expert needed to establish values of items with which you don't have deep experience. Plus, I believe the fee paid to the gas and oil "appraiser" would be an expense item accrued to the estate settlement, and not be a cost coming out of your pocket. Just a suggestion. John

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He tried to: #601053 - Sun Mar 01 2015 05:34 PM Need SF area certified appraiser for Petroliana

Nicole
who forgot how to link posts...

p.s. Ron, if you do have any petro items from the estate for sale, I know the collectors on this forum would appreciate a heads up when you list them (if you haven't done so already). And if you do it though ebay, just post the number so Jim Potts who runs this site, can get credit for it. Post this info in the online auctions forum section of this list.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved