Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Y
My grandfather's old UNION 76 bulk plant office is still standing but maybe not for long. Talked to owner today as I saw the 5 large above ground tanks had been moved and looked like more to happen soon. I expressed my interest and he is willing to meet with me soon at the building to take a look. He said the inside walls are metal and he could not see any fasteners. Any thoughts on taking one of these apart and moving it? Has flat roof and he said it has never leaked in the 25 years he was in it? How is it put together? It still has the original counters, with the pull out cash drawer, the floor safe and the oil SPARK oil heater. Lastly-- what is the value sitting on slab and I have to disassemble and move? I know lots of sentimental value as I spent lots of time there as a kid. Jim

Evjen and Young building.png Evjen and Young building # 2.png

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
building doesn't look that big, how far do you have too move it?... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks pretty easy if you have help to do it. Also if you dont, down the road you will always kick yourself for not doing it. I say go for it.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim,
How about some close up pics? That might help show how it needs to come apart.

As far as value goes, if it's going to be torn down (to everyone but you) it's only worth scrap value less the cost of tearing it down and getting it to the scrap yard.

Check your local building codes to make sure you'll be able to reassemble the building at a new location.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Y
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Y
I will get a bunch of pics when I meet with the owner soon. It is about 15 by 18 feet. Have to move it about 100 miles. It is a Ray Becker Co Portland Oregon, steel building. Thanks for the heads up on building code at new location.

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.
Y
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Y
The block wall on the front was where they had their sign hung. I do not remember what that looked like. I think it changed a few times when Union updated.

Y
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Here is the original bulk plant office. The building in back and to the left just had a new steel skin put on last week. The tanks to the right were just recently removed.

Y
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Y
pic

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Yea, the old building codes bs, glad I'm outside city limits. If that building were around here, I'd jack it up, back my trailer under, set'r down, head for home.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Building codes in Portland Prohibit rebuilding a house that is taken apart without updating it for new code. 2x4 vs 2x6, etc.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being outside of city limits doesn't necessarily exempt anyone from building codes.
At 15' x 18' Jim may be able to call it a shed and bi-pass some of the potential code problems.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Building codes in Portland Prohibit rebuilding a house that is taken apart without updating it for new code. 2x4 vs 2x6, etc.

...if it's not actually disassembled, would that apply?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
does it even qualify as a house if there is not running water or active plumbing?

I know on my property I have an office building that at one time had to have the plumbing and water lines cut and capped because of restrictions considering it a livable dwelling vs an outbuilding.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck

...if it's not actually disassembled, would that apply?

Most likely yes.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce, House or not won't be the issue. When a building is moved it has to meet current codes. When a wall, ceiling or floor is opened up, electrical, plumbing and sometimes framing has to be brought to current codes.
I suspect your outbuilding having the plumbing cut and capped had more to do with zoning than building codes. That's another thing that Jim might have to deal with.
His best bet is likely to call the building a shed as the codes are much less stringent for sheds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved