Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Byrce, the answer to your question is simple. Being an Incorporated Company, it is an entity by itself. Dave's Garage owns it's own inventory which is for sale.

My personal collection and hoard is mine. I generally, don't sell items out of my collection.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Byrce, I think this is a great idea and should become the standard in this forum. I agree that through the years I have seen many people get blasted for their "opinions" on value. So this way more members would feel comfortable giving a number. Ofcourse like anything else...these opinions will have to be taken as suggestion only.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: eric grinder
through the years I have seen many people get blasted for their "opinions" on value. So this way more members would feel comfortable giving a number.

I would second Eric's take on this.

Jay Leeper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To avoid the drama some people just reply privately.
I prefer to know who's opinion I'm relying on.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15

How to respond to this ^^^^^

You are on a site dedicated to this stuff, and members get one vote on a poll, thus a general consensus of votes gives a realistic range from those involved with this hobby. If you're looking for higher value (attempting to sell for more) or lower value (attempting to buy at a cut rate price) then don't pay any attention to the consensus and PM your expert.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies

You are on a site dedicated to this stuff, and members get one vote on a poll, thus a general consensus of votes gives a realistic range from those involved with this hobby. If you're looking for higher value (attempting to sell for more) or lower value (attempting to buy at a cut rate price) then don't pay any attention to the consensus and PM your expert.

Well there are 10,000 or so registered users on this forum. Some very knowledgeable, some know very little about this stuff.
Of those 10,000 people only 55 have voted on this poll. That's hardly a consensus of the members of this forum.

Of those 55, 22 (40%) voted $300. 40% is not a consensus.
I'm curious about the 22 voters. How much knowledge do they have? Have they been around the hobby 3 months or 30 years? Or better yet, how knowledgeable are the 6 that voted 500+? Maybe they are the ones that really know what they're talking about. Maybe not too.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I voted 300.00 and have been at this 29 years I remember the first thing I got. I am not a expert and I don't think any body is just my 2 cents. But at a auction you never no what it might do. But I would pay 300.00 for it and enjoy it.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
I think Lastgas15 makes some very good points about the accuracy of the poll.

One thing to also consider is that you are forced to vote to see the results. How many of the voters just threw in a number to be able to see what the results were?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very true I am a big fan of doing it this way. Gets a good idea on a value from other people. I can say when I see something I have not seen before if I think the price is right I will buy without knowing a value. Wish I new how to post that bar to get some values of a couple things I have but am not a computer person lol

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
That sign is freakin' cool!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Well there are 10,000 or so registered users on this forum. Some very knowledgeable, some know very little about this stuff.
Of those 10,000 people only 55 have voted on this poll. That's hardly a consensus of the members of this forum.

I'm curious about the 22 voters. How much knowledge do they have? Have they been around the hobby 3 months or 30 years? Or better yet, how knowledgeable are the 6 that voted 500+? Maybe they are the ones that really know what they're talking about. Maybe not too.

Well said Bob, these polls do not show a thing, Just look at all the open forum values where you get all kinds of off the wall guesses on values, mostly from newer collectors/pickers and others in it only for the money. my opinion is many of them are the ones also voting in these polls.
People collecting this stuff as an Investment seem to always value this stuff on the higher end vs. Collectors who just simply put a realistic value on an item.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
If you really wanted to know it's dollar value today,list it on eBay with a 99¢ opening bid w/o a reserve and let it run for 7 days.
When the auctions over,email the winning bidder you refuse to sell it for that price,and tell ebay you'll relist it. wink

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
If you really wanted to know it's dollar value today,list it on eBay with a 99¢ opening bid w/o a reserve and let it run for 7 days.
When the auctions over,email the winning bidder you refuse to sell it for that price,and tell ebay you'll relist it. wink

LOL....

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C

Way to devalue people who are INVOLVED with the site. 10K registered really is a meaningless number as many people join but may only do so for one time and never return to the site.

Just like registered voters in real life the percentage who participate are the ones who set the course, those who don't participate in the vote don't count toward the outcome.

Like I said in my post, if you don't like the main consensus ignore it.

You do know the following about those who participate.... they found this forum, they joined this forum, they took the time to look at posts, and then the took the time to actually vote on this particular topic. It's not an on-the-street poll, so confidence would be high that answers would be more honest.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One thing to note about the poll is, in order to see the results you have to put a value on it. So if you really have no interest in acquiring it,I would think youd put what its worth to YOU. I guess maybe what you think you could sell it for... Not say, what you feel it would be worth to a GM collector who collects more unique items. I mean, who sells unique items to strangers who dont have any real interest in buying the item in the first place? So anyways, I said to my wife, "Look at this killer display. What do you think its worth?" She made a face and said "I dont know. 300.00 bucks?"Now that being said, she's quite into antique advertising stuff and has been for 20+ years. But it just didnt grab her. Personally I felt it is worth 400.00+. Thats to me. What I would/could give for it. Maybe, if I had lots of money, I would have voted500+. So after I voted, and the results came up, she said "See?, I was right." I said "Of course you are. Your always right."lol. Now if you had a ton of money and wanted to go out and get one of these, where would you find it? Its a pretty uncommon item so there really is no common market value already in place. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there is no right or wrong answer. If you put it on Ebay, who knows if a guy who would be willing to pay 1200.00 for it would see it? Does that make it worth 1200.00? Probably not, but it certainly broadens the price range. I've bought a few items on Ebay that I would have been willing to pay way more for. I guess thats the logic behind all those deep sea fishers who put the high numbers on the stuff and then wait for the best offers. So-if its yours and your going to keep it, I'd say enjoy it and dont worry about it. If your selling it to a buddy, let your conscience be your guide. If your selling it to pay the gas bill-Go deep sea fishing. I have to say, I kind of like the poll idea, but after its all said and done, there still is a pretty wide range of values and until the sale is completed its pretty much just opinions anyways.... IMO that is.

Last edited by JimT; Fri Mar 06 2015 09:25 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved