Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#602966 Thu Mar 12 2015 10:37 AM
L
Lance-W Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello,
I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I bought my first visible pump and thought I'd give everybody a look and ask a few questions of all the experts here. I've restored lot's of stuff over the year but never a gas pump. So I have skills just not experience on the pumps.

So a few pictures:

The only thing I've done so far is clean the crud off the inside of the glass.

I have a couple of questions already though:
Does any one recognize any kind of color scheme that might lead to figuring out what brand it was during it's life?

Does anyone know where I can get repop numbers/markers? They're the sheet aluminum anodized/etched style. I've found cast ones but not ones like these. I'll have to get a better picture of the style.

Is there a specific nozzle that I should look for to go with this pump that would be era correct or brand correct?

The locks on both the access door are destroyed. Is there somewhere folks here have found replacements for the locks?

Thank you to anyone that responds and I'll keep posting pictures as I make progress.

Lance

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've restored many pumps over the years and the shine has become old to me and now I'm cleaning them and lightly blocking them 600 then sealing with clear satin. But if you want to restore it, you'll have fun and be careful, one leads to another. Again that pump would be a great candidate to clean and seal in my opinion.

It appears to have started blue - west coast maybe Richfield - red lots of others.
Try gaspumpheaven,com on line. As for the nozzle I'm sure others will pipe in on that. You may have to fabricate your access doors but I'm not sure what they look like. Additional pics may help.

Have gas all the time
L
Lance-W Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the response.
I have the long skinny access door but someone broke the hinges on it to get it off so I'll either have to fix the hinges or re-create them.

When I sand blasted the access door it seemed like it had a white primer then a layer of teal or light blue and then all those other colors that are peeling off. Maybe when I blast the big panels a logo will show up buried under all those colors. One can hope.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure on the teal. Someone here will give you better info.

Have gas all the time
B
B
I picked up my second pump in Nov. and it's just like yours only it's stamped 89B. From what I've learned here, the BD pumps were made in So. Cal, and primarily a west coast pump. BD was bought out by Wayne in 1928, so your pump, and mine, date from not long after that. As mentioned, check out Gas Pump Heaven. They have several parts including the square door and gallon markers.
Have fun
Ken

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The pale green looks like Wilshire. Wilshire went from green to blue so that may explain the blue. Also the rusted pricer looks like it may have been a Wilshire piece as well. The ones I have seen are painted with no embossed lettering.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
J
J
That camaro is a beaut!

Always looking for sinclair, lead tip cans, and most signage!
L
Lance-W Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The pictures of the markers. As the picture shows 19 out of the twenty are beyond saving. I've found other styles out there for sale but does anyone know where I can get a set like this? Even a used set in good condition? Is there somewhere that's like a junkyard for pumps that might have something like this?

L
Lance-W Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ
The pale green looks like Wilshire. Wilshire went from green to blue so that may explain the blue. Also the rusted pricer looks like it may have been a Wilshire piece as well. The ones I have seen are painted with no embossed lettering.

Could you expand on "Wilshire"? I googled Wilshire oil and Wilshire visible pump, etc... and all I found was gas stations on Wilshire blvd. Mostly black and white pictures.

The pricer has little tabs for paper or cardboard numbers. If you look close you can see the 6/10's paper still on there. No embossed features or numbers. I should take a picture with out the leaded plaque on it.

L
Lance-W Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So the search for the brand is on this morning. I spent about 2 hours carefully scraping layers and layers of old paint off before I blow it all off with the sandblaster. This where I was at after scraping.

Then I got it wet. What a difference. Things just popped out.

In this one it looks like there's two logos on top of each other. Kinda looks like a MOHAWK logo (that you see a few pictures down) and something that says ?VEU? in dark blue at the top under it and on a little curved banner on the bottom ?SUPER?___?

Then something on the top of that side that you really can't make out.

The bottom of the other skin clearly says MOHAWK

Last edited by Lance-W; Fri Mar 13 2015 10:11 AM.
L
Lance-W Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hmm for some reason the last picture wouldn't show. There must be a limit....

Then on top by the plaque there something else that is maybe some kind of ETHYL logo?

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I would put it back together, clear coat it and leave it like it is. It would look cool just like that.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like Mohawk Ethyl

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is always your choice to do as you choose since it is your pump, BUT I would seriously consider putting it back together as is and leave it. All those layers of paint are just SO cool!

Braden Splichal

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As a contributor to OG for over 25 years I am always amazied at the first time collectors wanting to restore their first pump back to the original company that first supplied the gas that first came out of the nozzle. While I don't have a problem with this, consider pumps were treated just like used cars, they passed down thru the service station business. When the large oil companies purchased new pumps they traded in the old ones, the used pump business was a very large business. Restore your pump to whatever company you want to, but I will say that most B-D pumps carried Calif. oil companies colors.

B-D pumps were probably in more movies than any other company's pumps, why, they were made in L.A., and more B-D pumps were sold in Calif, and most movies made in the 1930s were made in Calif.

Now your pump, it is pictured on page 112 of my Gas Pump ID book and some literature is available.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Mar 13 2015 11:35 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved