Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
tbuckles #605210 Tue Mar 24 2015 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can recall hearing of one item being taken at the Columbia Missouri show a few years ago and one item taken from a hotel room at the Columbus show a couple years ago. I also remember a guy at Columbus that dropped an envelope with several thousand dollars in cash in it and it was returned to him. Crooks and honest people can be found anyplace.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Wes Maxwell #605391 Wed Mar 25 2015 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Several years ago someone was caught stealing several items at the Dixie Gas show. He was expelled from the show.

Last spring at the Charlotte Auto Fair a friend had a 6 ft. Sinclair sign stolen. The thieves had to have been watching because they took advantage of a fifteen minute time slot when the owner had gone home for the night, his neighbor had just left and I was a few spaces away talking with a friend. They were seen by another vendor down the isle loading it. He just assumed it was sold. It was still daylight and the show was closing to the public for the night. They did not bother his other sign or the ones I had on the ground.

I have had many things stolen from me over the years but nothing at any of the shows so far.

I have recouped some items because I went out looking for them. I have not had much help from the police even when I have reported things.

Thieves can be very bold. I had about 35 ft of antique iron fence stolen from in front of one of my properties many years ago. I called the police and they said I could do a report over the phone. I insisted they come to the building to do the report. They could not believe someone would steal a fence.

I talked to a neighbor who told me it had been hacked down about 1am. By 10 am I had it back. I went into a local architectural salvage store with pictures and asking if he would keep an eye out for it. He already had it in the back hall and he almost let me leave without telling me. After being in use for over a hundred years, now it sits in storage. It is sad how things have changed.

Tbirdgas #605393 Wed Mar 25 2015 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[/quote]As always a Pleasure to hear your Great Insight and Appreciate Your Great Contribution to this thread. [/quote]

No offense Paul but attacking other members in your thread doesn't do much for you credibility.

Also looking at your profile shows no contact info, no last name or even an E-mail so that in itself makes me wonder.....

As posted by many members here, I find this hobby and the shows full of the most honest people around and we seem to look out for each other. I have yet to have anything grow feet in all the years at car and petro swap meets. As with protecting my collection at home, when I sell I do a number of things to make sure items are safe and sound and always watch others items when someone looks off when looking.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #605398 Wed Mar 25 2015 04:53 PM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
"Also looking at your profile shows no contact info, no last name or even an E-mail so that in itself makes me wonder....." wonder all you want, there's a good reason!!! No need for me to defend myself, there's even a few in Wi that I think would vouch for me.

Now back on topic. I am guilty of feeling press to ask questions while trying to set up and being distracted. Think I might try the yellow tape idea or have a Not Open sign.

Last edited by Tbirdgas; Wed Mar 25 2015 05:48 PM.
Mike M. #605399 Wed Mar 25 2015 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No need to wonder about Paul, one of the good guys, of course coming from me maybe that's not a positive laugh

Originally Posted By: Mike M.
[/quote]As always a Pleasure to hear your Great Insight and Appreciate Your Great Contribution to this thread.

No offense Paul but attacking other members in your thread doesn't do much for you credibility.

Also looking at your profile shows no contact info, no last name or even an E-mail so that in itself makes me wonder.....

As posted by many members here, I find this hobby and the shows full of the most honest people around and we seem to look out for each other. I have yet to have anything grow feet in all the years at car and petro swap meets. As with protecting my collection at home, when I sell I do a number of things to make sure items are safe and sound and always watch others items when someone looks off when looking. [/quote]

Tbirdgas #605410 Wed Mar 25 2015 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tbirdgas
wonder all you want, there's a good reason!!! No need for me to defend myself, there's even a few in Wi that I think would vouch for me.

"Just giving you a hard time for picking on Bob"

Anyway yes I think the tape idea would work great especially if your alone. There always seems to be too many standing around when you unload.... "Horses waiting to be fed". I always keep them out of my trailer/truck and back from where I unload and cover everything up I unload till I'm ready to watch.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #605457 Thu Mar 26 2015 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
they are more like "Sharks circling their Prey"

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #605826 Sat Mar 28 2015 02:27 PM
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Hopefully part of the solution, screw some of the signs to the boards takes care part of the problem

Decals provided by Henrik, Thank You!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved