Next Thread
Print Thread
#605126 Tue Mar 24 2015 08:22 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Picked up a top of a pump yesterday and needed the glass. It was a complete top to a Wayne either 515 or 615 I do not know the difference. When we went to take the bolts off the rods of course they were rusted stiff. Not the odd thing, the caulking which is usually a dental tool pick out came right out of its grove. It had been sitting in the rain for a couple of years. Could this possibly be another way of getting the caulking out by water ? Never seen this before, or could this just be rotting caulk?

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There all sit outside, rain, snow etc. My guess is that the cylinder had been removed and re caulked at least once in its life. Just a different product was used at that time. Nothing I have ever tried softens the old stuff

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
K
K
I just did a visi gauge that had hard dry caulking and found WD-40 would soften it up enough to do about 1/8" every half hour or so with a pick. When it came to the cork gasket I soaked it overnight and the glass came off in one piece. As Jack said in my post about visible cylinders, be patient and don't force anything.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The couple visibles I have dealt with, I've done the very slow way. Lots of time with a dental pick. But with the visi gauge from calculating pumps, I've found that soaking them in the laundry sink in water and soap, the sight glasses come right off the manifold. Usually the next day. And then that old orange-brown wipes right out of the glass.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved