Next Thread
Print Thread
#606439 Tue Mar 31 2015 11:52 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
First, my apologizes to Tbirdgas for stealing his post about two signs.

But I do think that a contributing conversation about signs is a benefit for all of us. While we are all out there looking for pumps, globes, you name it, it would benefit all of us to know what signs are selling for, or what anything is selling for.

I am working on teaching a class at the local Junior College on "Picking 101." Meaning I don't just want to teach them about petroliana which I know more about but what else is out there.

Recently while cleaning out the garage, I came across all the value books Cindy and I used back in 1990s, there is over a 100 of them. When we went out buying we were not just looking for petro items, Cindy knew dolls, jewelry, dishware, ceramics, Civil War items, I knew coins, stamps, illustrators, automobiles and auto parts, and both of us with a working knowledge of about 50 other collectibles.

Why go to an auction with the intent to purchase a gas pump when there is some glassware or a picture worth more than the pump. I have stressed knowledge here on OG more than once.

I have rambled somewhat, but my point is I would like to see more responses about what we see petro items selling for. Each response will add to everyone's knowledge.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Mar 31 2015 11:53 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #606445 Wed Apr 01 2015 12:36 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I started earnestly picking about 18 years ago. Back then guide books like Kovels, OBriens, Warmans, and a few others were helpful to start a knowledgebase of what was valuable to others. I would spend hours just thumbing through such books. Today with the advent of smart phones much similar information is available at one's fingertips online either for free or for a nominal fee.

However one thing a book or online guide cannot do is give you a 'gut' feeling that leads to a valuation of an obscure item. For the less experienced I think find it hard to put a value on obscure stuff(maybe only obscure to them too) that establishes what it might be worth. With signage I think there are many people we see on OG who have yet to develop this gut so they aren't confident in putting their 2 cents in the discussion of value.

That's why I appreciate when people do respond on here with values. Hopefully more people have an attitude of appreciation for serious input to values as well. I know when I first started to really contribute I felt like the proverbial nail that stuck out and got hit because others felt my estimates were out of their own comfort zones and they reported me for contributing. Thankfully our great moderators have helped to quell those issues.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jack that contributing an opinion as to value is an important opportunity OG brings to the table. Whether it be first hand experience with buying or selling a specific item, seen or read auction sales, or even that gut valuation.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
carolinaskies #606463 Wed Apr 01 2015 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been going to auctions since I was six. Have always collected something {everything}. Was selling at flea markets at twelve and have always loved a good yard sale. Now at fifty three I am a good twenty plus years into the shows. Already know life is not long enough to get to all the projects I have accumulated, but I still go out and look for more. The thrill is the hunt, the people and experiences along the way.

Values goes up and down on everything. In my teens I wheeled and dealed in 33 rpm records while I built my collection. For 45 years I have been enjoying my collection. Value was high. With new tec the value went to nothing and now it is on the rise again. Makes no real difference to me. I have my value.

Value in signs is always subjective. There is the value to you as a collector and a different value as a dealer. The market is changing all the time, up and down. There are many other factors when selling. I work off my experience, general knowledge, connections and location. Generally things work out alright.

60wayne #606484 Wed Apr 01 2015 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This subject has been and will always be beat to death. For a good reason, values are all over the place. My problem is that I started collecting over 25 years ago and vividly remember what I paid for the things I collect. There was much more available and not to many people collected gas stuff. Now everyone seems to want it so the availability and demand dictate the price. Along with your gut and "man I really have to have that" I guess drives some of these crazy values. So with all this said I guess it's up to the individual to make the gut/financial decision. I rely on all sorts of reference and friends. But isn't nice to see the values go in our favor.

Have gas all the time
Done4 #606492 Wed Apr 01 2015 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A true value can only be determined by a seller and a buyer upon the completion of a sale. Everyone else is guessing/expressing an opinion.

I'm a collector and never worry about value, only opinion that matters to me is mine.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #606493 Wed Apr 01 2015 11:00 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Jack said "First, my apologizes to Tbirdgas for stealing his post about two signs."

Not a problem with me,as you said "knowledge" is important

Tbirdgas #606578 Wed Apr 01 2015 10:41 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Ever notice on the Pickers show one of them will say "I knew I just had to have that?" Then they show you what they plan on selling it for.

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #606604 Thu Apr 02 2015 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack are you wanting to see more discussions about what stuff is selling for in the form of show and auction reports?
Or the typical "what's it worth" topics in the value forum?
There's a reason why the people that really know what they're talking about rarely post on the value forum. Some of them were regular contributors when this site was still geared towards the petroliana hobbyist but now that it's more of a picker's forum they don't participate much. When they do, they often get ridiculed for their opinions. That's really unfortunate as they have a wealth of knowledge. I've been in the hobby for well over 30 years and the guys I'm talking about have been in the hobby much longer than I have.

Often knowledge of what signs or other items are selling for isn't worth much if the region and venue of where an item sold, and the item's condition aren't noted as well.

"Why go to an auction with the intent to purchase a gas pump when there is some glassware or a picture worth more than the pump."
There are two types of buyers at auctions. One is there to buy items to keep. The other is there to buy items for resale. It may seem like a foreign concept to many that participate on this forum these days, but it's not always about the money.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved