Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#606506 Wed Apr 01 2015 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jack Sim,

Hi Jack. I was wondering how your new 3rd edition book is coming along and if you have an idea/update when it will be available? I am already on your e-mail list, just curious (and impatient).

I posted here because I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering.

Also will you be at Columbus this year and where will you be playing darts? I'm always up for a challenge. Ha ha. If not, maybe I'll see you in Iowa. Take care.

Thanks,
Steve B.

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Apr 01 2015 01:27 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Speedracer #606576 Wed Apr 01 2015 10:37 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Played in a small tournament last night and won again, Monday night was league night and I won 5 out of the 6 games I played in. Too bad the convention hotels don't have a dart board, I might be able to pay my expenses just being near the board. Will be at both Columbus and Iowa, probably selling just literature in my room.

New book: Slowly getting finished. Had to drop the idea of showing all the gallon indicators used on visible pumps. The images I tried to use were of such low resolutions I couldn't work with them, it was taking a lot of time and when I finished with them they still looked terrible.

The next biggest thing I have to do is set the values. Been considering that instead of the way used in the first two books using a price range. How about some ideas on this?

Example just using Wayne pumps: What would be the range of:

492 Visible
519 Visible
802 Clock
60 Computer
500 Computer

Give me your ideas.

Lastly, I am up to about 2100 gas pumps only, that will be shown. Don't throw away the 2nd Edition, it has lubsters in it that were dropped to make room for the 2100 gas pumps. Maybe I will write a book of just lubsters next. I have also cut off the globes in the pictures so I can show a larger view of the pump. If you like globes, buy Scott's book. This book will truly be a gas pump book.

Thanks guys,

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #606590 Thu Apr 02 2015 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So we are all forewarned: don't bet against you in darts.

Gasman84470 #606601 Thu Apr 02 2015 05:08 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Jack,

Have you considered producing the book with an accompanying CD? That would allow you more freedom with better quality images.

I'm not necessarily talking about putting the entire book on CD, but rather overflow images or extra information that doesn't fit the direct flow of the book.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
carolinaskies #606691 Thu Apr 02 2015 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,

You might want to consider what has been done in my former line of work (as a plant doctor) in that newer volumes of disease and insect books completely eliminated controls because they changed over time or were regulated out. I still have reference books with DDT rec's that I keep because they still have great information.

As many have said here, values change over time and also for region. Why not create a rarity scale for both brands and within the brands... I know DB was a big resource for you, but I imagine you know others on this list and off, particularly folks that deal in volume, who can be your 'editorial board' to fine tune ratings that you derive in part from your other books.

If you want, you can add a loose tear sheet to the book with estimated values of each based on their rarity rating, (ie. common rating #1 XXX to YYY dollar range) as of (date of publication) that could be replaced (for published versions) in future years without re-writing the whole thing. And easier to replace in electronic version. Both for a fee of course. Then instead of whole new volumes, produce slimmer supplement additions for any new or not previously published pumps or pump variations.

You may even be able to put together map of regions (U.S. and Canada) where some pumps are more commonly found 'in the wild' to indicate that a pump found in one region may of course cost more further away.

With so much information now known online, if anyone wants a value they can research themselves on selling sites like e-bay, or respectfully come onto Old Gas and find value.

No one system is perfect, but that's what my former industry has done...some great books that will not go out of date for the information they do provide.

Just a thought...IMHO

Nicole

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved