Next Thread
Print Thread
#607466 Tue Apr 07 2015 08:07 AM
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
There was a question about the buy out of Pierce to Sinclair. Did Sinclair do business as Pierce Oil Co. in Mexico. All though I have had no dirty emails or personal messages,I might have sent some barking up the wrong tree,so to speak. I have seen Sinclair ink blotters,and other advertisments,that read buy Pierce Oil CO. products at Red Rooster Stations,but they always had a Sinclair heading Maybe some of you Sinclair guys have some of this stuff and have more info about the transition,in S.A. I have not collected Pierce items after the buyout. Got to draw the line somewhere. Paddy told me early on I wasn't a true collector if I didn't collect Hotel dishes. Maybe this should be the next phase Sinclair/Pierce and Dishes!
Thanks in advance for any input you can add.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Tue Apr 07 2015 08:33 AM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Loyd Pierce #607507 Tue Apr 07 2015 03:24 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As best as I understand it, Pierce Petroleum was a descendent of the old Waters-Pierce Oil Company. They marketed in the south central U.S. and in Mexico under the Pierce trademark up until the Sinclair purchase. When Sinclair purchased Pierce, Sinclair was, of course, already marketing in the U.S. and Pierce stations and the Pennant Hotels were rebranded pretty much immediately. In Mexico, where Sinclair had never marketed, the Pierce Red Rooster trademark was slowly incorporated into of phased into Sinclair over a period of years, and by the 1938 nationalization, the Productos Sinclair image was as developed as it would ever be. Over time, if the company had survived, there would probably have been a common image in both countries, but since the transition took place over about an eight year period, the Mexican market retained elements of the Pierce brand, but with the Sinclair name.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
Wayne thanks for your post pretty much as I had it figured. But now knowing Sinclair hadn't done business in S.A., it makes even more sense. Pierce had two large refineries in Mexico and all ready had a customer base. Sinclair got a lot of bang for the buck. Stations,refineries, and hotels.
I have seen this practice first hand fast forward 50 years and Bridgestone done the same thing in the U.S.with the buy out of Firestone. They may never take down the firestone signs or drop the brand due to loyal customers and the hype of the Indy Series.
Only makes good business sense when moving in to a market where you have no foot hold.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved