Next Thread
Print Thread
#608889 Fri Apr 17 2015 06:59 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
I have 2 identical fluorescent signs and I've been trying to get both of them to light up. One is close to NOS and has an original 40 year old GE bulb in it, It lights up and works fine. The other one has a little more wear on it and came without the bulb. I bought a new Sylvania bulb and it flickered so I thought it was the starter, changed it out, bulb still flickered. Figured it was the ballast, bought an NOS one, bulb still flickered. Decided to take the 40 year old, NOS light bulb out of the cleaner sign and try it in the more worn one, lights up fine. I put the new bulb in the NOS sign, flickered. Figured the bulb was junk. I just happened to be looking in the garage and found another brand new Sylvania bulb. Tried it in both signs, nothing. Tried both new bulbs in something else, they light up just fine?!?!? It appears that something about the new bulbs is different than the 40 year old bulb and the new ones won't work in either sign? Has anyone ever ran into something like this before? All the bulbs are F20T12's and I'm an Electrician.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Robert77 #608894 Fri Apr 17 2015 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you're an electrician, I'm sure you've looked at the old ballasts and bulbs but it sounds like the old ones aren't putting out the same voltage as is required to power the new bulbs. If the old bulbs were not 120v or the ballasts don't put out the voltage to power the new ones it has to be a voltage issue, or at least it seems that way. The only similar experience I've ever had but not exactly the same was on a pair of lighted beer signs. They both lit up with the old bulbs and ballasts but when I put new bulbs in the one I was keeping the old ballast would over heat and start leaking and stinking. I just replaced the ballasts with the new style replacements and everything was fine. Not sure if the newer bulbs required more power to run or what but the old ballasts would get hot trying to run them. They did light up though, and your new ones won't. That's all I got....good luck...GB.

Rabbitman #608898 Fri Apr 17 2015 07:35 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
The old Bulbs are 120v and the new replacement ballast is putting out a solid 120v. The only other thing I can think of is if the new bulbs don't want to work with the old style ballast with separate starter. Maybe I'll need the new electronic ballasts with the new bulbs.

Robert77 #608899 Fri Apr 17 2015 07:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Robert,
I had something similar with a large Philco sign I have and finally figured out it was the starter. Picked up a new one at a local 75+ year old electronics store in town (I knew they would know what I was talking about) and bingo....no problem since. Make sure the starter is the correct one and it is the old style, not the new ones that apparently are universal. Tried one of them and no go, but was smart enough to buy the old style at the same time. It worked.
Hopefully that works for you.
Mike

Last edited by 1965CHPCSP; Fri Apr 17 2015 07:47 PM.

Collecting Conoco, Gates Rubber & Tires, B.F. Goodrich, Cliff Brice, Vickers, Mobil, National Refining Co., Philco, Ma Bell and Pikes Peak Hill Climb!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Don't know if this relates to your situation but something I learned.

I aquired a company sign that uses straight fluorecent bulbs. Company employee that was in charge of relamping them in stations told me there is a special bulb I had to buy if I replaced them. Had a lower termperature rating so they would start up in "Cold" weather. Other types would not work correctly.

Chuck

Gaspedler #608940 Sat Apr 18 2015 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It has to be some combination of old and new, the starter makes sense. I'd just replace the old ballast and starter with the new electronic ballast and be done with it. Like I said, those old ballasts get to seeping the nasty tar sealer and run so much hotter than the new small electronic ones and probably use more juice too. Also, they run quiet, those old ones on mine hummed pretty loud...GB

Rabbitman #608996 Sat Apr 18 2015 02:32 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Loose wire at a socket?

ROD [Mich.]
r49th #609034 Sat Apr 18 2015 07:15 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Update - Went to Lowe's today and bought a brand new GE bulb, worked fine, it lighted right up!!! The other bulbs I tried were Phillips, not Sylvania's like I had previously stated, but for whatever reason they won't work in the signs I have...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved