Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lastgas15 #609275 Mon Apr 20 2015 05:49 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Maybe there is a market out there for his hand-painted fake signs,but unsuspecting buyers are going to get stung!Caveat-Emptor.

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Lastgas15 #609281 Mon Apr 20 2015 06:01 AM
W
wocopep Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
The guy in the picture is not the guy that was at DIXIE. But he could be the one who did the signs. They were extremely well done. I also agree with GASSTUFF about the fact that he just doesn't get it. I gave you guys the sugar coated version of what I said. At every turn in our conversation, he had a reason for what he was doing. During the two days I was there, whenever I walked by his booth, I would ask him, "Sold out yet?", or " Wow look at those minty signs" in a very smart a.. way and loud enough for everyone to hear. Ive been doing DIXIE GAS since the first one and have missed very few. Ive seen things that defy explanation and people trying to con others at shows. Ive listened to stories about signs, globes, etc that a two year old would not believe. ( The stories are fun to listen to and have a laugh ) But, I have never heard or seen this type bulls..t in the hobby.

Lastgas15 #609282 Mon Apr 20 2015 06:02 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Though I didn't meet up with the guy in question at Dixie I have seen his work, which is good artistry. Now on the question of calling them NOS, I have to laugh and say he's just trying to employee that marketing strategy already talked about. But I wouldn't go so far as to totally demean the guy.

I would like to remind even long time collectors of a true fact. Signage was created first by hand long before the process was mechanized and industrialized to produce the many signs you collect. Even Coca Cola employed hand-painters to touch up signs in the field well after the fact of mechanized production. Also, unless you're under the age of 30, likely you remember the signs painted(not wrapped) on buildings, barns, roadway billboards, etc that dotted this great nation of ours.

I wonder about certain collectors who decry hand painted or custom made signage as well, because the collector world in general has established that even fakes, forgeries, and fantasy items have value. One look at local, regional, and national auctions, antique galleries, and yes petrol shows reveals this to be true.

Now I'm not condoning the individual trying to say his pieces are NOS originals, but they are original works indeed produced by his hand. As such he has created less expensive alternatives, far fewer which exist compared to mass production enamel and porcelain signage. In 25 or 50 years perhaps the Folk Art community will value his signs higher than the general collectors. Odd but it could happen.

BTW, if you got to go to the show I hope you got to see the original hand painted wooden Jewelers sign I had at my booth. A real sign used by a real business. Or perhaps you were too enamored with mass produced signs?

Or the Independent Insurance Agent sign actually used in the 1970's & 80's?

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Sounds to me all the guy ( Tom Johnson Cartersville GA ) he does say he replicates old signs and is selling them as replica's.. Maybe the guy that was selling at the Dixie show that was selling NOS signs had nothing to do with this guy... Johnson would definitely need to mark them as such I would think.

Last edited by Wes Hague; Mon Apr 20 2015 06:20 AM.

Wes.......
Wes Hague #609286 Mon Apr 20 2015 06:26 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I like 60Waynes new category designation NPS (NEW PAINTED SIGN), but would vote for NPS (NEW PIECE of SH**).

muntzman #609296 Mon Apr 20 2015 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just curious, how much was he asking for them?....I personally don't have a problem with the fact that a sign painter does a replica of something if he sells it as such. Like we've said a hundred times, if somebody gets burned buying a sign from somebody like this thinking it's an original and they got the deal of the century, they aren't too smart in the first place and you can't have too much sympathy for them. The guy does need to get his definitions in line with the group he's dealing with though. It's the computer rendered replicas that are hard to tell from real and passed off as real that has and will be the problem from now on. What I always think is funny is how guys like this always talk like they are the number one authority and you are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Must be nice to have that much knowledge and confidence smile .....GB

Rabbitman #609304 Mon Apr 20 2015 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
This reminds me of the story of a guy I met at a car parts swapmeet in Jefferson Wisc. ,who was selling seatbelts that were sloppily dyed with shoe polish.Which I suspect was by him.
He claimed they were factory originals & they did that all the time 45-55 years ago,as cars were being assembled and they needed to hurryingly make the belts match the interior if they were out of that desired color.
This was 5 years ago,& I still laugh my *** off when I think about him.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #609314 Mon Apr 20 2015 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm amazed at the lengths people go to to create frauds and present them as NOS? The wave of repops that are sold as originals in this category is alarming. That is why a site like this is so valuable to serious collectors who can still be fooled. I to have been collecting for a long time and am the unhappy owner of some fakes. I have a special place for these in my shop to remind me "be careful". Thankfully not too many but they still ***** me off.

I just wish more people were truthful about the things they are selling. But, that is not the way it is nowadays. Sad but I am glad we have each others back because the other people surely don't. It's taken some of the pleasure out of collecting and replaced it with a unsure feeling.

Have gas all the time
wocopep #609323 Mon Apr 20 2015 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Weird the guy was making such a claim they were real and was standing by it. Wonder how long before they make it to the ebay world , imagine that mess. Did you get any pictures of them? If he wants to paint and be honest about it , I guess he can . To keep professing they are nos originals ,that's wrong, and most likely won't sell them . Thats very deceiving IMO . Odd duck .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
47reo-travis #609325 Mon Apr 20 2015 10:05 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Guys, just to be sure we all know who is who in this discussion.. and that we are all on the same page here. The guy that was at the Dixie Show is the guy that was saying his signs are NOS **** NOT the guy on Facebook, his name is Tom Johnson from Georgia and he says his signs are hand painted and are replica's of original signs..
Just wanted to clarify !!!

Wes.......
Wes Hague #609335 Mon Apr 20 2015 01:04 PM
W
wocopep Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Wes is correct. The guy at DIXIE GAS is the one who believes his painted signs are NOS. As long as someone is honest and above board about his wares there will never be a problem. It was just unbelievable that this guy would even make such a statement.

Lastgas15 #609353 Mon Apr 20 2015 02:33 PM
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T

Lastgas 15 wrote"This is what's wrong with this hobby. I'm sick of hearing the "poor me" stories as an excuse for "collecting" reproductions. If you can't afford something stop whining about it and do something about it! Work overtime at your job, buy-sell-trade within the hobby to better your position. Don't use lack of money as an excuse.

A good friend of mine has built a very impressive globe collection in only 15 years by buying and selling globes and other collectibles. For many years his budget was only $20-some a week. He had the smarts and ambition to better his position in the hobby.

1st good for your friend..
2nd Anyone who has been on this site for awhile all know your views, which your entitled to,but I Fail to see How this Helps the Site or the Hobby by attacking people. That's just my opinion.

Tbirdgas #609364 Mon Apr 20 2015 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tbirdgas... I am with Bob on this one. I am sure you know my views also! Anyone that has been on this site knows my views. We like original gas station items... Not fake repop hand painted junk.
My opinion on repop is its fine as long as it is dated! Some guys just like to decorate and that's fine.
Someone tries to pass off anything as original or fraud someone needs to be dragged through the mud on this site!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Tbirdgas #609373 Mon Apr 20 2015 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tbirdgas

Lastgas 15 wrote"This is what's wrong with this hobby. I'm sick of hearing the "poor me" stories as an excuse for "collecting" reproductions. If you can't afford something stop whining about it and do something about it! Work overtime at your job, buy-sell-trade within the hobby to better your position. Don't use lack of money as an excuse.

A good friend of mine has built a very impressive globe collection in only 15 years by buying and selling globes and other collectibles. For many years his budget was only $20-some a week. He had the smarts and ambition to better his position in the hobby.

1st good for your friend..
2nd Anyone who has been on this site for awhile all know your views, which your entitled to,but I Fail to see How this Helps the Site or the Hobby by attacking people. That's just my opinion.

If you consider my comments an attack on someone I suggest you contact a moderator about it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #609380 Mon Apr 20 2015 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him...P.T Barnum, if I remember correctly.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved