Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#609574 Tue Apr 21 2015 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I recently got this large Socony wall map. Measures aprox 34" x 41". Was wondering how to protect it so I can display it without it getting damaged?

I purchased it off ebay and thought it was going to be canvas type material like the old school maps were or something stronger than it is. It is a very thin coated paper. It is a little brittle as well now that it is 86 years old. I'm scared if I just hang it on the wall as is I'll damage it someday just working in my garage.

Does anyone have and display maps like this in there collection. I could get it framed but I think that would be very expensive based on the size it is.

Thanks...

socony map.jpg

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
nochevys #609579 Tue Apr 21 2015 03:17 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Tom, You might want to find a good paper glue at a craft store and mount it onto a piece of 1/4" thin mahogany plywood from Home Depot? That should hold it? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #609581 Tue Apr 21 2015 03:26 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Find out cost to frame it, then go from there.It's hard to beat framing.

intagas #609597 Tue Apr 21 2015 05:16 PM
G
G
Maybe laminate it? That way it's protected from fingerprints, splatter, whatever. Check out what they do at the FedEx/Kinkos

Greg Z
gjz30075 #609609 Tue Apr 21 2015 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, if you are a woodworker or know someone who is?

I would think that a "primitive" frame made of older looking barn wood... Would make such a map pop... Especially if they rabbet the inside of the frame so a piece of glass would be recessed into the frame, and protect the map...

Here in Longview, I was surprised by how affordable a piece of glass cut for me at the local Glass Shop was... (My glass was smaller in size than you are needing)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
B
B
I was just at a seminar on Saturday where they showed how they 'rescued' some old railroad maps. Basically they put the maps in a clean garbage can (because of their size) that had water in it. I don't remember how they kept them separate. They covered the can with a plastic bag and let it sit for a couple of days. They then laid them flat with some plywood on each side and some weights on them for a couple more days and they came out flat and more pliable. If you have a historical society near you, ask them how to save the paper and how they would frame it.
Ken

bowtiefan #609657 Tue Apr 21 2015 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would agree to check with your local historical society to have them recommend a professional document restorer to evaluate the map to see if it's even a candidate for mounting (i.e. gluing) and if so, then recommend a framer for you.

A professional framer would do the following...

Using a glue that would not damage the map over time, would mount it on an acid free backing, and would frame it under a special glass to protect it from sunlight, and would make sure the mat (a mat is not needed, as spacers under the frame would also work) kept the glass off the fragile surface. They would also attach the wire securely with no chance of the map falling because of a poor wire job or someone using 'alligator teeth' which would not be secure enough for this type of work.

So I guess ultimately is the map worth the cost of this kind of framing? If it's not, then Paul's suggestion is a good one as the map (again if it's not too fragile to glue) will look good like that for years. I would go that route if the map was not very expensive, but something I would enjoy looking at hung up somewhere. I would add that I would first test the glue by on a corner (not sticking it to something, just to have the glue in contact) to make sure it won't damage or discolor the map.

Last edited by Nicole; Tue Apr 21 2015 09:20 PM. Reason: added testing the glue
Nicole #609664 Wed Apr 22 2015 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, the cheapest way to protect it for now would be to have a frame shop put it on foam board and shrink wrap it. It will be very displayable and easy to handle and won't empty your wallet. I had several pieces done like this years ago and they are just like the day they were done. No irreversible damage either.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved