Next Thread
Print Thread
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I spent over 2 hours trying to make a repro bonnet fit and never came close. I first used a wire brush on 4" grinder to remove the rust, then used palm sander with 80 grit sandpaper to remove more rust and smooth down the pitted areas and then used stone attachment on dremel tool to remove more rust and smooth more, then used palm sander with 150 grit sanding disk and still the repro bonnet would not slip down over the top plate. I started on one side and tapped my way around it until it popped up and off on the opposing side. Tried placing a round board on top of the globe holder and tapping it down from the center, no luck. I think it was made too small. I suppose I could put a grinding disk on my 4" sander and grind the top plate down more, but not sure that is the answer. Suggestions to install it? I will discuss with vendor on Tuesday.

The second repro problem I ran into was installing globe lenses on a powder-coated globe holder. The snap ring will not properly seat in the groove because the powder coat appears to be too thick in the channel where the snap ring should seat. I touched the snap ring and it popped out. I did not have that problem with a repro globe holder that I purchased unprimed. I primed and painted with rattle can. Snap rings seated in the groove. Anyone had this problem with powder-coated repro globe holder?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Model72,

Yeah I feel your pain here, sucks to try to remove material from an outer diameter surface like this. Sand paper isn't real effective on metal, think your better with some kind of small flat grinding wheel, maybe 4" or 6" dia, preferably something with a lot of control. (Throw your dremel away, I hate those things!). I find it good to have another job going while I work on something like this, work on it until your patience is gone, then come back later and try again! Sometimes it's handy to put masking tape on the outer surface so you can see where your hitting / not hitting, helps target your grinding when you get close to right.

Can't help with the powder coating globe issue, never seen that but it makes complete sense the powder coat would build up too much. You probably could get some smaller diameter stainless wire and make your own ring. That diameter is small enough that you can free hand bend it around something cylindrical pretty easy. You can use the rings you have as the shape you want. You could also grind the back side of the rings you have slightly, effectively making it smaller diameter so it fits better, maybe.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Tue Apr 21 2015 01:58 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have had several globe bodies powder coated with no problems. I do not coat the snap rings. I have been told if the snap rings are also powder coated they do not want to stay snapped in very well.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
The globe vendor asked me to return the globe holder as the powder coating was too thick on the batch of globe holders that my order was filled from.

I finally used multiple c-clamps to install the bonnet on the Fry 87. I tightened down a little at a time, moved the c-clamps to another spot and did the same thing over and over until the bonnet was finally in place on the top plate. What I did not notice until I was finished was the top of the bonnet was hitting the top of the conduit splice box and slightly bent one side of the small box. Now I know why the bonnet wouldn't go down any further. It was a learning experience.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved