Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I only do 1 or 2 shows a year. I generally do not price my items. Most of the stuff I take to a show is either there for me to dispose of (cheap) or came off my wall or shelf just for this show. If it does not sell it goes back on the wall.

I am not a dealer. Can't justify the time it takes to price everything. I have never had an issue with people not asking prices.

Usually when I pull into the gasstuff show in June I am swamped with everyone wanting stuff as soon as it comes out of my vehicle. no one hesitates to ask how much something is. Most of the stuff I sell is sold in the 1st hour after arrival.

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 60wayne
I don't understand , at a show a firm option of I will not buy if it is not priced.

for me, its not a firm option that I won't buy it if its not priced... but unless its something uber unique that really tickles my fancy, I wont bother to ask for a price... however if it is priced and that price seems intriguing, then I may inquire further.

case in point... the pump i bought at dixie last weekend. had it not been priced there was absolutely 0% chance I would have bought it. but since it was priced, I saw what a good deal it seemed to be (to me) and so I bought it. that vendor would have been hauling that 6ft - 400lb piece back home had it not been for that little tag that took 10-seconds to hang on it.

i respect any vendors choices to price or to not price their items... i just believe you'll have a better selling experience if you do.

and, as a buyer that goes on the early-bird days, it really gets old standing around looking for a vendor or trying to track a vendor down to find out a price... only to hear its well over what you were expecting.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In the 30+ years I've been collecting and selling 80% of the time the items are not priced. Never had an issue with this. Actually for me it makes it more fun.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: nochevys
I only do 1 or 2 shows a year. I generally do not price my items. Most of the stuff I take to a show is either there for me to dispose of (cheap) or came off my wall or shelf just for this show. If it does not sell it goes back on the wall.

I am not a dealer. Can't justify the time it takes to price everything. I have never had an issue with people not asking prices.

Usually when I pull into the gasstuff show in June I am swamped with everyone wanting stuff as soon as it comes out of my vehicle. no one hesitates to ask how much something is. Most of the stuff I sell is sold in the 1st hour after arrival.

Tom, you always have great prices, I do believe you are one of the most "waited for vendor" at Gasstuff. People know they are getting a good deal on some great items when you arrive.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Those requiring price tags or they walk away I view as mere bargain shoppers. You don't want to interact with the seller, you just want to go on your merry way unless something is either cheap or that gotta-have piece you want then a missing price tag is no big deal to you anyway. The word I would use is 'snooty' for those who have to see prices on a tag, you turn up your nose if it's not as cheap as you desire.

I'm sure as well you don't accept the price on the tags you do read, you want the guy to do better than that anyway, so the tag is mainly an excuse to know if you can **** a piece down.

Like I said earlier, the guys who know me know I wheel and deal so maybe I should start putting tags that just read "LESS THAN A MILLION" Then you'll have to come and look a them all anyways! ROFLMAO!!

Last edited by Oldgas; Wed Apr 22 2015 06:44 PM. Reason: Edit to remove objectionable ethnic term
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I get sellers not pricing items...inventory turn over, the time and effort it takes anymore just to set up at a show, and the reality that it's suppose to be a hobby.

I think price tags can work just as negatively as not having price tags. Often prospective buyers are turned off by a price that seems to high...they keep walking without even trying to negotiate.

To all the sellers that set up at swap meets...I sincerely appreciate your time and efforts at bringing your wares to look at. The gas and oil circuit depends on you bringing your items to market. Thank you very much.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sellers who don't price items...don't you get tired of constantly answering the "how much"question on the same pieces over and over?

cormy #609837 Wed Apr 22 2015 08:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree all items should be priced. It's better for both the buyer and seller. A prime example of this is within this site. Look at all of the for sale post with prices along with the number of viewers. Then look at the number of post and lack of viewers for the unpriced section.

cormy #609839 Wed Apr 22 2015 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No, What gets tiring is watching people mess with your stuff.
I put a machinist box full of tools out the other week at a car show. I open the drawers so the tools could be seen and everyone wanted to close those drawers. I had gout in my knee which hurt and I got up to open those drawers a hundred times over the weekend.
A few years ago I had a line of people waiting to lift the lid on a ice chest type Coke cooler. I stuck a rubber rat in it just to mess with people. One guy asked if it worked. I told him if you fill it with ice it works great.

Last edited by 60wayne; Wed Apr 22 2015 08:29 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it's not priced, I am walking buy. I buy globes, cans, salt pepper shakers, signs or what ever catches my eye. So if I am walking around and something catches my eye and priced reasonable I might just buy it. Most of us don't walk around just trying to buy something cheap!

I look at guys like ^ above and when they don't price it I am think they are on a fishing trip trying to snag some sucker that might pay more than its worth. Or there just to lazy to write a price tag out.

Bottom line people can do what ever they want I guess.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I price my stuff. When I'm busy I can't answer every ones questions on price. If they see the price and they're interested , they wait until I can take care of them.
also helps when I have to leave and my helper doesn't have to remember 100"s of prices. I dislike the guys that have to size up the buyer before giving a price.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good topic....

cormy #609923 Thu Apr 23 2015 11:17 AM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
If i want it bad enuff i make every effort to deal with the vendor even if i have to wait.

cormy #609934 Thu Apr 23 2015 12:54 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: cormy
Sellers who don't price items...don't you get tired of constantly answering the "how much"question on the same pieces over and over?

Not at all. That's why I'm out there and don't have a Redbox sign vending machine! smile

In all seriousness, if you're in the business of selling intentionally then part of that business is actually interacting with people. I enjoy the horse-trading I do with people, if I didn't I wouldn't be at shows, flea markets, etc ALL THE TIME. I don't look at the requirement of talking to people as a burden, I see it as an opportunity to meet a lot of people, share some interest, maybe impart or learn some knowledge one of us didn't possess, etc. And I build a clientele and friendships that are renewed at future shows.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will say from the number of flea markets and car shows I attend as a buyer that 90% of the vendors I deal with do not have their items priced. usually just stuff laid out on tables and tarps. to me the fun in buying is talking with the seller.

Got Socony???

Tom
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved