Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#613495 Sat May 16 2015 06:40 PM
Nicole Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A lot of polls lately on OLDGAS have required members to answer before being able to see the results (as I have set this one up to be). While I have not done it on the latest ones, I do admit to guessing just to see where the majority is. Problem is, this can skew the results, particularly I think in the 'Value' section.

So what do you think. Should there be an option of a "no opinion" or "don't know" category for most of the polls? You can even add an "I wouldn't know the answer if it smacked me upside the head!!!" category...LOL

A poll about polls
single choice
Votes accepted starting: Sat May 16 2015 06:30 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Nicole #613591 Sun May 17 2015 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I never considered this before. However, You raise a valid point and I agree that this situation, if left unchecked, does create a margin of error.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am often in this catagory. "You can even add an "I wouldn't know the answer if it smacked me upside the head!!!" category...LOL"

So I usually just hit the back button and don't waste my time. If I did hit a selection to view, like you mention it would just skew the results.

Chuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nicole... great idea! I still stand behind my opinion that a poll is the best way to gain public opinion on oldgas. In a value question scenario, the 'don't know' option is a great idea.

i do believe all polls should require a vote before seeing results, otherwise people will tend to vote with the majority regardless of their gut opinion.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #613895 Mon May 18 2015 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I don't know. I don't vote for that exact reason and I never get to see the results. So adding an "I don't know" category would be nice.

And Chuck, on most websites, if you vote and hit 'back' it still counts your vote. However, I am unsure if that is the case on this website (I don't know...LOL).

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved