Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OUCH

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Online Cool
Another example of the dangers to collectors with restored signs. The guy at the end of the line gets a bum deal. And the guy who knew it was restored and passed it off as real gets off scot-free with the money.

OUCH, indeed!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that sucks Bryce, sorry

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone was out to fraud and knew what they were doing when they patched that up . That's no diffrent from the lies and deception that currently going on at Ebay with all that faked india china Bangladesh or wherever junk. ..... I would be upset also 2k ?

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
And the guy who knew it was restored and passed it off as real gets off scot-free with the money.

...they wouldn't, if the auction house made an issue about it...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
NEVER have I ever heard of anyone trying to remove clear coating from a sign???

Tom, well you have now- bought this sign over 15 yrs ago & one side was clear coated- the mall owner let me take the clear off the one side then said do you still want it for
what you offered- haven't done anything too it since- side 2 picture 2 was the side that was clear coated ... cool

IMG_1521[1].JPG IMG_1522[1].JPG
Last edited by advertologist; Thu May 21 2015 12:21 PM.

RANDY
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
And the guy who knew it was restored and passed it off as real gets off scot-free with the money.

...they wouldn't, if the auction house made an issue about it...

that was my argument in the beginning. the accountability should be passed down the supply chain. the consignor has the responsibility of not deceiving the auction house, the auction house has the responsibility of not deceiving the bidders.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I have not read any of your post here but all I will say is "that I stated that the sign was clear coated" or "clear". Either way I stated what I knew about the sign, my seller bought the sign in collection along time ago he had no ideal about the sign just like me. If Bryce could have pointed out before stripping the sign that it had been restored I would have took it back, no question asked, but he was not going to return it the same condition as it was sold to him.

This is why I do not like restored or clear coated signs, but I still have to sell them with collections.

And no I will not take the sign back unless it is in the same condition as it was sold to him.

I DID NOT TRY TO HIDE ANYTHING FROM ANYBODY, IF ANYBODY THINKS ANY DIFFERENT THEN THEIR DONT KNOW ME and I dont need to know them.

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
so if I have Van Kannel spot restore it back to what it was (or better), I can return it?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Sorry to see this mess Bryce. Perhaps your best bet to recoup as much of your investment as possible is to have it restored again, and resell it? (of course, you'll note it as restored ). Personally, I've found it's best to get rid of these "lessons". You'll never forget it anyway, but having the constant reminder staring at you (in this case literally!) doesn't help much. I would certainly hope the auctioneer would have a serious discussion with their consignor about this situation.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Bryce. Maybe have them restore the entire sign and then have them relist it as a "10" with a light clear coat.

Last edited by JimT; Thu May 21 2015 09:10 PM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The real tragedy is that when there is a problem like this, it get aired out on the internet.

An even bigger tragedy, in this issue and in most of modern America, people have an expectation of others rescuing them from their own poor decisions.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
The real tragedy is that when there is a problem like this, it get aired out on the internet.

An even bigger tragedy, in this issue and in most of modern America, people have an expectation of others rescuing them from their own poor decisions.

Well Said, and I can't emphasise enough that anybody involved in this market whether buying or selling should invest in a tool like this pictured. This tells you exactly what is hidden under any sign and could have prevented this situation from ever happening. Within 30 seconds a sign can be determined it's condition history.

IMG_20141003_153052.jpg

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...what is that thing?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...what is that thing?

I don't know but I want one ... cool

RANDY
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved