Print Thread
#614582 Sat May 23 2015 08:01 PM
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Hi guys, I had a National 62,it had bent doors and the porcelain was really bad, so I did body work and painted it.I came across a A O Smith 483. It has one dent in the porcelain about the size of a silver dollar. Can porcelain be repaired? Is powder coating the same?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
old dog #614583 Sat May 23 2015 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No...powder coating is a type of painting. Porcelain is actually melted glass beads which bond to the metal. Porcelain sign restorers usually paint and clearcoat. The closest thing that I have found to porcelain is automotive enamel which requires an activator. I used it on green porcelain Columbus vending machines years ago. Looked great and held up. Good luck and keep us posted. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Catauladave #614592 Sat May 23 2015 09:29 PM
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Thanks Dave. I may have to go that route, paint this one also. The dent is in a spot that a sign will not cover it either. Oh well.

old dog #614595 Sun May 24 2015 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Carefully flatten the dented metal trying not to lose more porcelain, fill with auto body filler,sand, paint, and clearcoat just the spot with an auto clear coat using a Preval sprayer. Wax the sign. You might have to practice to get it right, but remember to get your paint right BEFORE you clearcoat the spot. That automotive paint is tough. Good luck, Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved