Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#615 Tue Sep 21 2004 07:49 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Okay, guys and gals, we've all used the site in one way or another and I know in my heart that everybody that reads this would like to help in some way to keep this site up and running. Sending money just doesn't always work for some folks, so I'm gonna run this idea up the proverbial flagpole and see what you guys think about it!
Jim(oldgas) and I talked a little at Dixie Gas and I told him about another site I visit(car related) with about five thousand members who love that place like we love this one. Members there, mostly regular posters, routinely donate things to be auctioned to raise money for the site. Before you start scratchin your heads, let me explain how this works-----
For instance, I'll donate, say, an oil can or a road map or ??? for a two week auction. I put up a post saying "high bidder sends the money to Jim Potts, and when Jim tells me it's paid for, I'll mail it to you---Bidding starts at $X.xx".
With me so far?
If you see something you want, you post how much you wanna give for it, and hang on for the ride!
Will it work? It does at that other site.
Will it cause a lot of work? Well, it might be some more effort for Jim, but hopefully the benefits would outweigh the effort. Plus, each auction should be pinned at the top of the page it's on(or bumped continuously).And pics will probably need to be posted for the item(and that;s TOUGH for a non-technogeek like me!)
Will it cost any money? Usually, the person that donates pays shipping(out of the goodness of his heart) Large stuff could be handled differently--it's up to the donor.
Any more questions??
So, what's the consensus folks? Don't most of us have some odd pump part we'll likely never use, or an extra can from where we've upgraded our collection, or maybe some little trinket that you'd rather GIVE away than try to sell on eBay?
I'm not trying to pressure anybody to give away the farm---just trying to explore new ways to HTH. It would be strictly voluntary.
Ask questions. Tell me what you think. Really. I have semi-thick skin
Let's talk about it some--pro and con.
Jim sorta gave it his blessing(well, he didn't say NO)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#616 Tue Sep 21 2004 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike mentioned this to me at Dixie Gas also. I think its a great idea! There would be some details to work out like should the high bidder's identity be known, what the bid increments should be, etc. The basic idea is great. Lets get everyone's input, then set the ground rules. It could be alot of fun in addition to helping the site.
Great idea Mike.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#617 Tue Sep 21 2004 08:29 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks for the kind words, Bob and I appreciate your input at Dixie as well.
As far as bidders' identities, well, my thoughts are "no need for secrets". Transactions can be handled privately by email or??? Besides, we're sorta 'family' here. Sorta.Again, this would be for our members here. If you're a lurker and want to bid on a fine donated item, well then you're gonna have to come out of the dark and REGISTER and become a member of this site!
And there's no way to lose---nothing gets sent till Jim gets the moo-lah!
Minimum bids? Ahhh heck, the buyer will probably have enough time to make his high offer. No way to snipe in this format. Way I figure, if it makes ANYTHING for oldgas it'll be a success. I think the less structured--the better.

#618 Tue Sep 21 2004 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike,
After you ran your idea by me I mentioned it to a couple of other guys. Thats where the questions about ID's and increments came from. I'm in no matter what the ground rules are.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#619 Tue Sep 21 2004 09:24 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!!! THE KISS METHOD WORKS BEST LETS NOT GET BOGGED DOWN IN THE FINE PRINT.
GOING ONCE!!!! GOING TWICE!!!!!!!!SOLD
REX
KYSOILMAN

#620 Wed Sep 22 2004 03:33 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Count me in Mike. I think we really wouldn't have to wait to ship an item as we are all pretty "tight" on here. I just sold a single lens to a member (who I have never had the pleasure of personally meeting) but as soon as I received the address the lens went out with no qualms about it. I trusted him totally. We could possibly use the number of postings/replies as sort of a "feedback rating". Just another thought and an option. Once again, a great idea.

#621 Wed Sep 22 2004 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Count me in... I think it's a great Idea. Let me know what you work out.
I think that this would need it's own forum. I think we should know who was high bidder. I think the bid increments should be based on how much it cost... appx. Just my 2 cents.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#622 Wed Sep 22 2004 06:05 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Why not just put the item on EBAY and have the winning bid sent to jim. you have more guys that will bid on it. Why not have guys from this site send Pictures of there item they are willing to donate to Jim and he can run a list of many things on ebay. just my 2 cents.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.
www.vintage-logos.com

#623 Wed Sep 22 2004 06:20 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Dwaine, the way I see it, we are doing it to raise money for the site. Not for ebay. They will receive their listing and final sales fee, which Oldgas will NOT get. True, that more people would see it, but "donating" items (if we go that route) will NOT include a Gilmore globe or a neon Seaside sign. You do have a good point that must be taken into consideration in this planning stage. Everyone chime in and give opinions and options. This will take some hard work for Jim regardless of any direction we take and the more ideas we have, the easier it should be.

#624 Wed Sep 22 2004 06:39 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
OK, Lets look at it like this, I have a motel A front fender Jim can have. i put it here on this site ,it sells for 25.00 but on ebay it has a chance to go for 250.00 but i the seller have to pay the shipping of 60.00. I like this.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.
www.vintage-logos.com

#625 Wed Sep 22 2004 06:46 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
More food for thought. Once this auction idea is up and running, should we limit the number of items for auction? The items that I would list are in limited supply due to downsizing, but I'm sure everyone has something. Everyone will be all excited when this idea premiers and Jim could get swamped with items to list, then everything could possibly slack off if all listed at the very beginning. Maybe put 20 items per week on. To keep it interesting and continuous. Just a thought.

#626 Wed Sep 22 2004 06:52 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Dwaine, I know where you are coming from with shipping. As good hearted as Fins and Twins is, I think the buyer SHOULD still pay shipping. People that donate an item shouldn't have to be out a lot of money per shipping. Plus EVERYONE is accustomed to buying something off ebay and PAYING shipping, so I don't think that would turn people off. Good point.

#627 Wed Sep 22 2004 09:05 AM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Good thoughts/comments guys!
Dwaine, you have a point with your fender analogy, but I think we're losing sight of the SPIRIT of this whole idea. I wasn't proposing donating items of great value(but you CAN)or big things---just small, or common or ??? Sure, Gary or Bob could donate a globe(yea, like that'll happen ) and it could only bring 20 bucks.....not likely though. If they wanted to donate something of that caliber, the opening/starting price could reflect the kind of donation they wished to make.
The whole spirit of this is for donors to contribute to the site, and buyers to contribute as well---but get something in return---It's that simple. I'm sure lots of folks who visit here will never take time to make a donation to the site(well, it's free--why should they?)BUT, they just might see that roadmap/whatever that I or whoever offered up and bid on it cause it fits perfect in their collection.
The site I stole this idea from has between 3 and 10 auctions going on the front page ALL THE TIME! And a lot of the bidders bid fair prices and lots of the time TOO MUCH(way more than an item's worth)because they want to support the site.Keep in mind, that site has nearly five thousand registered, and probably 10% is active, plus there are several artists/pinstripers that actually donate items they've created, so there's not a big cash outlay. Something to take into consideration.
As far as the shipping thing, it's strictly up to the donor. It wouldn't bother me to donate a quart can and pay a few bucks to ship it to a fellow collector, knowing that some money was raised by it's sale for Oldgas.
One last thing and I'll shut up for a while---I've always heard that people that make suggestions are usually expected to back em up("that's a good idea--why don't YOU do it!?") Hey, I'll step on up after we get thru talking it to death

#628 Wed Sep 22 2004 09:30 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Sealed bid by email to a certain email address..for a week or 10 days..highest gets it.Bid onnce no bid tracking. Then you ship it and the buyer can reimburse you for shipping.

I never have cash to donate but always have smalls that are not worth running on ebay that I could throw in the pot, as donation.

Just my 2 cents Can !!

#629 Wed Sep 22 2004 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a great idea!!! I have a few extra pump restoration items that I was going to put on ebay or just give to someone if they needed them for a pump project. This would be a great way to help out the site and help out fellow collectors on this site. The collector will get a good deal and the site will generate a little extra cash. Seller should probably be the one to determine if he/she is donating the shipping cost as well. Some items are too expensive to ship and some people might be selling numerous items. Just my thoughts. I think this is really going to help out the site. Keep us updated! ~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved