Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
I purchased this sign at Spring Carlisle this year from a reputable dealer as an original tin sign from Canada 1932-48. It measures 24"x29". Looking for someone to confirm that they made this sign in tin as I have been told by a collector that they have never seen this sign in tin. Dealer who sold it to me claimed it was very rare for these signs to survive. Digital picture makes the sign look better than it actually is. Look, color and condition is the same that I have seen on other original tin Ford Parts Signs.

Ford Sign 1.jpg
2-Sided, Genuine Ford Parts V8, Tin Sign.

Last edited by Oldgas; Wed May 27 2015 06:26 AM. Reason: edit to put item name in title
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am surprised that some of our sign experts haven't replied before now. This sign has been the subject here a few time.

Many repros out there, the sign experts will let you know.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I have owned 3 of the Ford V8 porcelain signs, they were all 35"x28" and always porcelain , as far as I know they are a Canadian ONLY sign, double sided porcelain. To my knowledge they never made a metal painted version..

Genuine Ford V8 Die cut dbl sign 35x28.JPG Genuine Ford V8 die cut sign 35x28 dbl sided.JPG Genuine Ford V8 Parts sign,.jpg

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have handled a few of these over the years, never came across or seen a tin one, always porcelain, so imo, odds are he sold you a repop in tin....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
All of the ones I have seen (tin versions in the USA) are or appear to be repops...there are a few guys from Ohio that seem to have one of them and the reflective shell curb signs at every show they attend whether its carlisle or the hillsville antique show. Due to collectors having extremely low confidence that these tin signs are or could be right they will always have the "voodoo" on them as being repops...

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
The problem is getting to be that the reputable dealers may not know what they are selling.. there is so much around it is getting sickening..

Wes.......
I
OP Offline
I
I really appreciate the information. I have come across people skeptical that is why I am trying to get more information. But I have also come across people who have told me that it is authentic. I have attached another picture that shows (I hope) that the "F" was painted over during the creation of this sign (not at a later date). I have tried to remove an area of paint in the corner of the sign with solvent and it does not come off. Condition of the sign is pretty rough for a repro but I don't know how long ago these may have been made. There are brass crimped eye loops in the hanging holes. Hope this helps....

ford sign.jpg
F on sign double painted.

I
OP Offline
I
Part of the "F" has been painted over... Not all of it.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Don't be fooled by "rough condition for a repro" , how is this for rough,,??? made to look old Red Indian sign from Mumbai India.. this sign is JUNK !, WORTHLESS !

This sign was made in the past year or two ,

Fake 3ft. RI DSP sign.JPG
Last edited by Wes Hague; Wed May 27 2015 09:06 AM.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with Wes and Kim. Canadian only sign and unfortunately, I as well have never seen an original tin version.

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian, as Daryl has noted... One can never gauge the authenticity of an item based on appearance. Sellers of fakes caught on long ago that too many base an opinion on "how an item" looks...

To many (far too many) a distressed look; equaled/equals an authentic item....

This is an auction on Ebay right now... Read the Seller's description... Of course the next Seller of this item down the line; may not be as truthful...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
The color looks too dark to my eyes when compared to the porcelain versions. And whenever someone says 'rare version' in different printing format it should cause a red flag.

It might be one of those 80's repops available at Carlisle 30 years ago.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
What a lot of people don't realize 70-80's is NOT old,, although 40 years seems old to these new 35 -40 year old collectors,, that's when the repo's started, in the 70's..

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have seen several of these exact signs. It is not a Canadian Ford V8 sign. All small Canadian Ford V8 signs were double-sided porcelain and larger than the one you have in your possession.

The sign you have there is 100% American. It may have been made a few decades ago as a 'tribute' to the original Ford V8 porcelain signs of the good ole days.

Cheers,

Steve
www.thefordcollector.com

Collector of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury automobilia. Preserving North America's Ford history. Visit www.thefordcollector.com for more info.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
Don't be fooled by "rough condition for a repro" , how is this for rough,,??? made to look old Red Indian sign from Mumbai India.. this sign is JUNK !, WORTHLESS !

This sign was made in the past year or two ,

I would not call this junk, worthless. It has value for a buyer looking for a decorator piece at a fraction of the price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved