Next Thread
Print Thread
#614427 Fri May 22 2015 11:47 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Gang. I have a Wayne 851 clock face pump that is well on the way to completion of its restoration. It is just not in the cards right now for me to finish it, and I’ve decided not to store it for later completion. I’d really appreciate getting some thoughts on value in its present state. The pump needs final assembly and the addition of some items that I’ll outline.

Here are the details. The pump came to me in very good original condition...very straight and only a few spots of surface rust. It’s possible it was used indoors in a garage or business workshop. I decided to restore the pump in the Gulf brand. So, all exterior metal components were gently sandblasted, primed and painted in the correct orange and dark blue. The paint work was done at a body shop and is pretty good, but not perfect (there are a few dirt specks that I’ve noticed). The paint is a single stage automotive product: DuPont Centari, with hardener. I do have extra paint that will go with the pump.

The basic pump is complete, to the best of my knowledge. I’ve only shown one cast iron light shade, clock face trim ring, and clock face inner ring, but these items are included for BOTH sides of the pump.

I have the interior electrical components (3-light manifold with sockets, and the interior vertical conduit with brackets for attachment to the pump frame) not shown in the photos. I also have the original pump and motor. The original nozzle rest, sight glass support bracket, circular access hole covers, and other small sheet metal pieces are included and already painted.

The pump comes with two reproduction clock faces, a repro Wayne I.D. tag and Underwriters Lab brass tag, and reproduction AND original clock hands. This pump did not come to me with pricer sign frames under the clock faces. Instead, it has metal block-out plates, mounted from the inside, that cover the pricer “hole”. These have already been painted orange. Two original “Contains Lead” signs are included.

The pump does not come with a sight glass, hose, nozzle, Gulf pump plates, or a Gulf globe. I figured the next owner would want to make their own choices about these items, and whether they wanted to go with original or reproduction.

I realize the pump would be worth more, if I spent the relatively few hours needed to do the final assembly....but that’s just not possible right now. I’d appreciate your price range thoughts for this Wayne 851 pump, as it currently sits. Thanks for doing all of this reading! John in Plover, Wisconsin

aw8DSC00037.jpg aw2DSC00017.jpg aw1DSC00006.jpg aw4DSC00018.jpg
Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri May 22 2015 11:57 AM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Here are a few more photos on my Wayne 851. John

aw5DSC00020.jpg aw6DSC00022.jpg aw7DSC00024.jpg aw9DSC00039.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...any 'before' photos?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I only have a couple of small, hard copy (not digital) photos of the pump in "Before" condition. I don't have any way to scan them. As I noted, this pump was in very straight condition when I initially purchased it. No dents, just a little surface rust in a couple of small areas, and no broken cast iron parts whatsoever.

It was originally painted all red, with no gasoline brand evident anywhere. There was a big diamond-shaped "Flammable" warning decal on the front and back. An older black rubber hose was attached directly to the pump at the top, with no sight glass used. As I mentioned in my first post, there were blank plates mounted on the inside surface of the price box openings, where some Wayne 851's have a metal frame and a cost per gallon plate. I see that Ron Scobie offers a reproduction of the price box frame for $20, if a guy wanted to add them.

The pump interior shows no evidence of exposure to the outside elements. This, coupled with the good, original exterior condition, leads me to think this Wayne 851 might have had a reasonably gentle life before I acquired it quite a few years ago.

I know we have a number of very experienced pump guys on the forum. I'd appreciate any input on this pump's value. Thanks. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri May 22 2015 06:28 PM.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Too bad you cant finish it. In pieces and with only the outside visible pieces restored, no visigauge i would say that you will be at 2200 to 2700 depending on the buyer

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
could do in Husky also with those colors...

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Good thought, minuteman. The Husky signs and globe would certainly make for a very zippy looking finished pump. John

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I just bought an unmolested clean survivor 851 and paid a couple grand for it complete less globe. Although this one's painted, it's disassembled state hurts the resale somewhat as it's in pieces. Fair market is likely about 2K to someone if they like the colors, and less to anyone who's going to paint it another color or brand.

Would probably have been worth as much blocked out in primer as it is painted, and maybe more as a clean survivor if it was that nice.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved