Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Wes Hague #615127 Wed May 27 2015 11:32 PM
VWMIKE Offline OP
OP Offline
Don,

You always have the best answers to these questions. Thanks so much for the time and knowledge! And pretty incredible picture, a sliptivity and a buffalo side by side, makes me feel like a pretty small fish smile
Mike

Chasing anything old......but women
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
VWMIKE #615140 Thu May 28 2015 05:19 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
A quick opinion on the square can use.

Using a square can, less space is required compared to a round can. More could be packed into transport planes for destinations not reachable by road.(Common up into the 1960s througout Canada and Alaska). Once more cross continental roads were established like the AlCan the efficiency of space became less as cost of shipping decreased. That's why you tend to see more late squares up there. In the continental US once the interstate system was established trucking overtook rail shipping for faster transport reducing overall cost earlier and round cans became the norm.

Finally can production technology and issues with square metal cans. There are fewer steps to making a round can versus a square can so automation of the process made the round can cheaper to produce. And a round can is more stable and less prone to damage versus cornered cans. When handling larger cans full of liquid it isn't uncommon to ding and dent one. There are no corners on round cans to damage but on a square can a corner could become weak and even pop a seal which could lead to leakage.

With overall cheaper shipping costs coupled with the cheaper/safer round can, it became simple math to eliminate the square larger cans.

That's my opinion on the WHY. You opinion may vary....

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Mike, you are doing well with your finds out in B.C. I started out with 6 cans that were saved from my parents service station and displayed in a corner of the basement.

Paul, how very, very true. Thanks for adding this additional insight.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The above back and forth is why OG is top notch. Thanks Don and Paul.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fred, I'm surprised that you didn't comment on the North Star cans.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
VWMIKE #618900 Mon Jun 22 2015 09:34 AM
VWMIKE Offline OP
OP Offline
Well found another square can this weekend! Funny it came from the same place as the 5 gallon round can, obviously they had a large need for lamp gas. The round can is dated 1957 on the bottom, my guess is that the square can pre dates this, but who knows for sure?!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Chasing anything old......but women
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved