Next Thread
Print Thread
#61509 Tue May 30 2006 11:23 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Well, I finally found the washing soda in a store near me and the weather's getting warm so I figured I'd try the electrolysis tank again. I've heard varying things about using stainless on the net, some people say its the only way to go, others say that it produces harmful gases and byproducts. Does anyone have a definitive answer to this?

Chris

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#61510 Tue May 30 2006 05:51 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
chrisbowers, after spending about 6 years looking thru a scratchy sand blast lens i went the electrolysis route, using the stainless steel electrode method, i spent 41 years in the electrical field and dont know why i waited so long to try this.i should have known it would work better.i actually found an old cadiver table at an auction made from stainless, aand cut it into three electrodes 34x32,in the last two weeks i have stripped a complete wayne 60, 2 island water and air dispencer poles and the windshield towel holder. i have had no problems with any fumes or skin irritation or flamibility of any kind, its is the best time saver i have found in a long time.give it a try and good luck, norm huff clinton ill.

------------------
Norm Huff

Norm Huff
#61511 Tue May 30 2006 07:05 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I don't doubt stainless' value in terms of not corroding and having to clean it less, but I've heard that it does give off toxins that other metals, like rebar or carbon steel don't. Does anyone know if this is correct?

#61512 Tue May 30 2006 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes (Thermactor) sent me this link. You might want to check it out...
http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#61513 Wed May 31 2006 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey thanks for posting that, Thunder.

A few additional bits of info... The article is geared toward removing rust, and using regular steel or iron as the sacrificial electrode.
If both of the above are the case, you can dump the harmless waste products anywhere.

However, if you're removing paint, I probably wouldn't dump it on the lawn, especially if it might be lead paint. Probably better to let it dry up (in a kiddie pool?) and throw it away.

The use of a stainless electrode is easy, but BAD. The waste product will end up full of chromium (BAD) and nickel (not as bad). This stuff, you DEFINITELY want to let dry up and throw away or dispose of properly, and NOT let get into your ground water or runoff.

Wes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved