Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
I just finished restoring this Gilbarco 996 Texaco pump and I restored it to working condition. Most all pumps that I have seen for sale have been gutted (for weight) and I want to know if mine is more valuable. Personally I would want a working one but I have never found one restored. Would it be worth the same if I gutted it or can I get more for it working? If so how much would it be worth? It has a 12' hose that coils up inside nicely and a more modern nozzle. Reproduced globe and body (I painted the body to match). I wanted to buy a steal tall body but the gentleman in Oregon that reproduces them is out of stock until July. Not sure if I would get more with the steel one... Thanks in advance for your comments and input.

Texaco Gilbarco 966.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would stay with a glass body or a Capcolite body ( plastic) for that era pump...steel bodies are mostly earlier in my opinion....That Pump looks great.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Daily, I receive an email asking me to put a value on something. My answer usually is "I cannot place a value on anything I cannot touch." In the 30 years I have been in this hobby I have probably seen 1000 different versions of "restored."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
We never restore a pump to working condition. It opens the door to insurance claims and lawsuits, should there be a fire or explosion. My liability insurer would never cover that practice without inspections from State Fuel Inspectors who sign off on the job. It is a whole can of worms eliminated by not doing it. I remove the motors and pumping unit for that reason. Weight has never been an issue, as far as I am concerned. In the value department, no gain in price by making it complete. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I'm with Gasmansgp,

Never seen a 'working' pump bring more money.

And the liability issue is huge not to mention attempting to use a pump for accuracy of sale leads to all kinds of headaches.

For the 1 collector who 'might' turn on a pump motor there are thousands who never hold that desire and are glad there are no pump-mechs in them.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gasmansgp
In the value department, no gain in price by making it complete. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

I agree with Paul and would even go as far as to say that having the guts could cause some potential buyers to not buy it. Given two pumps of the same model and equal quality of restoration, I would always choose the pump without the guts.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree as well there is no gain in price and possibly a little less valuable if the buyer does not want to deal with the guts. More chance of damaging the restoration moving it with the extra weight as well.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Let me guess,you all have a bad back..
Speaking for myself,I'll always pay more for a pump still holding it's guts today,as opposed to one without...and if it works,that's a huge plus for me too.
You can take the guts out,but if someone else made that decision for you already & also threw them away,then consider yourself just like 99% of all the other pumps out there & nearly SOL of ever finding em again.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
Speaking for myself,I'll always pay more for a pump still holding it's guts today,as opposed to one without...and if it works,that's a huge plus for me too.
You can take the guts out,but if someone else made that decision for you already & also threw them away,then consider yourself just like 99% of all the other pumps out there & nearly SOL of ever finding em again.

...I agree...I would add they they don't take up any more space than gutted pumps - and they're only heavy when you move them wink

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!

...I agree...I would add they they don't take up any more space than gutted pumps - and they're only heavy when you move them wink

OK everyone here on OG who reads these posts... please charge these two guys more for pumps with mech's in them.... they seem to want to pay more so add 25% to the price for these guys only when they come to buy a pump.

If it is their serious desire to buy pumps with mech's in them and pay more than the next guy there should be no qualms, quibbles, or denials to pay more since they have stated so here on OG.

The rest of us who couldn't care a rats butt about the mechs however don't have to pay 25% more because we don't care about that mech, it's just a hunk of weight without modern or future purpose unless you need to McGuyver something due to bad guys attacking your collection and locked you in with all your pumps! smile

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just 25%?.....I pay a lot more then 25% for a pump w/guts as opposed to one that's just an empty shell.
They're a great year round theft deterrent too,as I've yet to have a bad guy steal one outside with it's guts in it as well...I guess bad guys have bad backs too.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!

OK everyone here on OG who reads these posts... please charge these two guys more for pumps with mech's in them.... they seem to want to pay more so add 25% to the price for these guys only when they come to buy a pump.

If it is their serious desire to buy pumps with mech's in them and pay more than the next guy there should be no qualms, quibbles, or denials to pay more since they have stated so here on OG.

The rest of us who couldn't care a rats butt about the mechs however don't have to pay 25% more because we don't care about that mech, it's just a hunk of weight without modern or future purpose unless you need to McGuyver something due to bad guys attacking your collection and locked you in with all your pumps! smile

As usual Mr. People Skills has to make sarcastic remarks about those that have a different opinion than his.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
I
OP Offline
I
Quite a spread on opinions whether a pump is better with its workings or not.

In restoring this pump and knowing that it was proudly made in USA. I was really impressed with the quality of the work along with the engineering that went into its design and functioning. Even the quality of the materials. The cast iron has a very high nickel content that make it almost impossible for it to be damaged. Try taking a torch, grinder or sawzall to it and you will find that it won't easily make a mark on it. To remove and discard the workings of the pump to me not only devalues the pump but is removing the most important part of the "PUMP". Future generation will never see the quality of work and the engineering that went into it. It's like taking a Ford Model T and removing the engine and transmission from it because you don't want to use it understand it or appreciate it. Just looking at the shell of it does not represent what it is as a whole. 20 years from now will there be ANY complete pumps left because those of you remove the workings because it is more convenient to you? Claiming that it was a liability is just a copout. You don't have to sell the pump as a working pump but as a COMPLETE pump. Which anyone without blinders on will agree that they are far more valuable. Especially because so many people throw away the most important and most impressive part.

As a restorer you should restore the pump as completely original and not just a shell of what it use to be. Stop restoring for profit and restore to preserve.

If I have offended anyone, Good. Hopefully next time you are restoring a pump you will think twice about removing and discarding such an important part of American History.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I would think selling a unrestored pump with guts still attached is a whole lot different than advertising a restored working pump. As Paul said even if it brings more money ,you are opening up yourself to promblems. Maybe worth more but is the risk worth the reward. I wouldn't think so.
The fact that the old computers won't compute todays prices makes it somewhat useless other than personal use and thats the guy thats going to lawyer up when he blows up his garage and his prize hotrod.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know some collectors that have 100% complete, restored pumps that are capable of pumping gas. Not a one of them has any intention of actually pumping gas though. One collector/restorer compared it to restoring antique cars. He likened it to doing a frame off restoration rather than a cosmetic restoration. He must have thought the risk vs reward was worth it as he had sold several hundred complete, restored pumps.
I also know pump collectors and restorers that gut every pump they have.

This is like the price tag or not topic. It's no big deal. Some prefer complete pumps while others prefer gutted pumps. Don't over think it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved