Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: i-restore
Quite a spread on opinions whether a pump is better with its workings or not.

In restoring this pump and knowing that it was proudly made in USA. I was really impressed with the quality of the work along with the engineering that went into its design and functioning. Even the quality of the materials. The cast iron has a very high nickel content that make it almost impossible for it to be damaged. Try taking a torch, grinder or sawzall to it and you will find that it won't easily make a mark on it. To remove and discard the workings of the pump to me not only devalues the pump but is removing the most important part of the "PUMP". Future generation will never see the quality of work and the engineering that went into it. It's like taking a Ford Model T and removing the engine and transmission from it because you don't want to use it understand it or appreciate it. Just looking at the shell of it does not represent what it is as a whole. 20 years from now will there be ANY complete pumps left because those of you remove the workings because it is more convenient to you? Claiming that it was a liability is just a copout. You don't have to sell the pump as a working pump but as a COMPLETE pump. Which anyone without blinders on will agree that they are far more valuable. Especially because so many people throw away the most important and most impressive part.

As a restorer you should restore the pump as completely original and not just a shell of what it use to be. Stop restoring for profit and restore to preserve.

If I have offended anyone, Good. Hopefully next time you are restoring a pump you will think twice about removing and discarding such an important part of American History.
Bryan, You are new here so let me explain this. You came to this site and asked for opinions about the value of a working pump? It apparently went against your belief which is fine, they were opinions. Now you are trying to be offensive in your remarks. How many pumps have you restored, my guess is that this is the first? Talk to us again when you have restored hundreds, as some of us here have done. The liability issue is very real. Selling it as complete, non-working is a fools folly. We all know that some clown will hook it up and like was previously said....blow up himself, his garage, etc. Why would I make up something like that, especially to answer some guy who I do not know. After your last remark, I do not even care to know you. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Compare restoration value of a fuel system inside a pump to that of an engine for a car. With a car you can start it, drive it, listen to it, admire the rumble of the engine, the whistle of the air as you tool down the road at 20mph or 150mph. You can take it to numerous car shows where even non-car enthusiasts will do a double take watching a piece of history pass by them.

Other than visible pumps where you can watch the liquid being pumped into the visible chamber the remainder of closed pumps can be demonstrated with motors to run the calculator. Whoop whoop for the average passing individual if the fuel pump actually works. Cart it around in shipping blankets if you plan on displaying it anyplace after rolling it in and out of a trailer on a set of handtrucks risking damage with the extra weight of a pump that will never be shown working completely.

BTW, Because the job of a fuel pump is to pump fuel it is inherently a dangerous prospect to merely have a working pump to say it is working. It will retain the fuel inside the mechanism everytime you use it. Those of us who have handled pumps have had encounters with decades old gasoline on many occasions, not a very desirable experience. And if you intend that pump to work expect to regularly use it. Ask the engineers who design pumps and they will tell you the facts of life of pump mechanisms.

As I stated earlier, for every one fellow desiring a 'complete' mechanism there are thousands who don't. The risk comes without substantial reward. And by the way, tell your insurance agent you're running operating fuel pumps on your premises and watch his expression as he advises you your insurance will either be cancelled or highly inflated. Yes isn't that a dandy reward for having a working pump?

It is not difficult to 'appreciate' craftsmanship that went into many of the gas pumps collected, but it isn't the pump mech innards that inspire. That is like saying the Mona Lisa is pretty because da Vinci used the color black. It is the outward appeal of the facade, of the colors, of the detail in chrome or glass that inspires more collectors.

Wax poetic about gears inside a fuel pump and only fluid dynamics engineers might take heed. But wax poetic about a Visible Fry gurgling gas into a Duesenburg so it can stretch it's legs on a country road and you'll inspire far more people.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: i-restore
Quite a spread on opinions whether a pump is better with its workings or not.

In restoring this pump and knowing that it was proudly made in USA. I was really impressed with the quality of the work along with the engineering that went into its design and functioning. Even the quality of the materials. The cast iron has a very high nickel content that make it almost impossible for it to be damaged. Try taking a torch, grinder or sawzall to it and you will find that it won't easily make a mark on it. To remove and discard the workings of the pump to me not only devalues the pump but is removing the most important part of the "PUMP". Future generation will never see the quality of work and the engineering that went into it. It's like taking a Ford Model T and removing the engine and transmission from it because you don't want to use it understand it or appreciate it. Just looking at the shell of it does not represent what it is as a whole. 20 years from now will there be ANY complete pumps left because those of you remove the workings because it is more convenient to you? Claiming that it was a liability is just a copout. You don't have to sell the pump as a working pump but as a COMPLETE pump. Which anyone without blinders on will agree that they are far more valuable. Especially because so many people throw away the most important and most impressive part.

As a restorer you should restore the pump as completely original and not just a shell of what it use to be. Stop restoring for profit and restore to preserve.

If I have offended anyone, Good. Hopefully next time you are restoring a pump you will think twice about removing and discarding such an important part of American History.

I'm not a pump guy but I completely understand why someone would want to collect complete pumps.
You lost me when you hoped you offended someone. YOU asked for opinions. You got 'em whether you agree with them or not.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
Compare restoration value of a fuel system inside a pump to that of an engine for a car. With a car you can start it, drive it, listen to it, admire the rumble of the engine, the whistle of the air as you tool down the road at 20mph or 150mph. You can take it to numerous car shows where even non-car enthusiasts will do a double take watching a piece of history pass by them.

Other than visible pumps where you can watch the liquid being pumped into the visible chamber the remainder of closed pumps can be demonstrated with motors to run the calculator. Whoop whoop for the average passing individual if the fuel pump actually works. Cart it around in shipping blankets if you plan on displaying it anyplace after rolling it in and out of a trailer on a set of handtrucks risking damage with the extra weight of a pump that will never be shown working completely.

BTW, Because the job of a fuel pump is to pump fuel it is inherently a dangerous prospect to merely have a working pump to say it is working. It will retain the fuel inside the mechanism everytime you use it. Those of us who have handled pumps have had encounters with decades old gasoline on many occasions, not a very desirable experience. And if you intend that pump to work expect to regularly use it. Ask the engineers who design pumps and they will tell you the facts of life of pump mechanisms.

As I stated earlier, for every one fellow desiring a 'complete' mechanism there are thousands who don't. The risk comes without substantial reward. And by the way, tell your insurance agent you're running operating fuel pumps on your premises and watch his expression as he advises you your insurance will either be cancelled or highly inflated. Yes isn't that a dandy reward for having a working pump?

It is not difficult to 'appreciate' craftsmanship that went into many of the gas pumps collected, but it isn't the pump mech innards that inspire. That is like saying the Mona Lisa is pretty because da Vinci used the color black. It is the outward appeal of the facade, of the colors, of the detail in chrome or glass that inspires more collectors.

Wax poetic about gears inside a fuel pump and only fluid dynamics engineers might take heed. But wax poetic about a Visible Fry gurgling gas into a Duesenburg so it can stretch it's legs on a country road and you'll inspire far more people.

Who is using restored vintage pumps to actually pump fuel? I know collectors that have restored pumps to new working condition but not a single one is used to pump fuel.
Just because you don't agree, or even understand why someone would collect and restore complete pumps doesn't make it an unacceptable practice.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Wow, you just blew your shot at becoming friends with many here. I agree with a lot of the above and especially Paul, I have restored hundreds and if the pump and motor are free I will leave them in just to make noise sometimes and never for use. Do you use after market parts on your restoration? Do you use replacement parts on your soda machines, slot machines, auto restoration or whatever. Then you have ruined the American history as you call it in whatever your restoring. As far as the price of the finished product it does not affect it at all.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll give you $250, delivered. I'll need you to gut it first though, I have a bad back. Let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by gasmelincelr; Fri May 29 2015 06:26 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've gutted at least a couple hundred pumps...and carry no guilt. Comparing gas pumps to automobiles is a little naive in my opinion. Kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Most everyone has a drivers license and carries insurance to operate the vehicle. Even collector vehicles serve a purpose...they are driven.

Gas pumps are meant to be for static display. That is their purpose to look pretty and tell a story. Not pump gas...far removed from their original intent and purpose.

I also understand that, we all collect for our own personal reasons and thus there is no right or wrong answer. Just a preference and an opinion. To each, there own; and what ever it takes for them to get the most reward and pleasure from their collecting.

I fail to understand op's last post...talk about being immature.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I found this thread very humorous, I too have restored many pumps over the years and almost always gutted them. I did have one customer that would only take a complete pump, it was a pain in the arss because of all the detailing that was required. Not my cup of tea but that is what he wanted. I must have done at least 20 for him. And he paid for all of that effort which to me added nothing to the beauty of the pump design as an aesthetic representation of that time period.

So, it's what ever flips your switch, but sure was good reading. Thanks!

Have gas all the time
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I look at it this way
I would buy one complete before I would buy a gutted one.
Just like a can of oil, I will only buy one that is full I don't like empty ones.

but that's just me !

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By trifiver
I look at it this way
I would buy one complete before I would buy a gutted one.
Just like a can of oil, I will only buy one that is full I don't like empty ones.

but that's just me !

I'll find a nice leaky oil can for you then.. smile

If you're willing to pay EXTRA for the complete pumping mechanism that's your prerogative. But the market says otherwise.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved