Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#615671 - Sun May 31 2015 02:55 PM 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T
Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: www.mancaveshoppe.com email:bi...
Just wondering if anyone has seen these b4. I can't find any others after much research.
The gent I got it from swore up and down that he thinks it's real saying he saw the station owner reach into a Texaco branded box and get this out saying it was never used.
I believe his story or that he believed the story given to him but I know it's not a original.
The size is odd and the back is odd too.
I know the grommets aren't in the correct position and the porcelain is thin like late 60s/early 70s porcelain and not heavily shelved like it was on the 15" originals that I had at one time.
The back is a brown kinda sand-papery tan color and feel.
Did some company make some repops in the 70s/80s that anyone knows of?

...and... no worries, it's on my Wall-O-Repops and won't be sold, ever! My Oilzum repop has already served as a example that saved someone from spending $$$$?? on another one!

Attachments
DSCF5539r.jpg

DSCF5540r.jpg

#615710 - Sun May 31 2015 06:47 PM Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T [Re: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave]
Bob Richards Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Overseas Petro repops have been around since the 1950s, for the most part they are very crude compared to those made now...

A flood hit the Marketplace in the mid 1970s... And another hit when the "Ande Rooney Company" started making more "true to the original" repops starting around 1980...

#615842 - Mon Jun 01 2015 02:08 PM Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T [Re: Bob Richards]
nochevys Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Sherrill NY
looks like an ande rooney with the spot on the back where the label was...

Tom

#615852 - Mon Jun 01 2015 03:13 PM Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T [Re: nochevys]
Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: www.mancaveshoppe.com email:bi...
Yes, I said the exact same thing to him when face to face. He quickly said it was from a price sticker he put on but now that I have looked it up on ebay, it's definitely a Ande Rooney repop.
Gotta follow that first gut feeling!

So, if your looking at Texaco round porcelain signs, always remember the rule of 8", 10" & 15"!!

#616203 - Thu Jun 04 2015 12:57 PM Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T [Re: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave]
Lappin864 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Easley, SC
a lot of fake 8" ones as well though with the date so you gotta be careful with those.

#616884 - Mon Jun 08 2015 04:15 PM Re: 11 1/4 " round Texaco black T [Re: Lappin864]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
Anytime you see that tan color sandy/gritty back it's an Ande Rooney sign.

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved