Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61656 Thu Jun 24 2004 06:06 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I found a Bennett 76 the other day that an antique dealer has for sale on his farm. I have never seen one of these before and it looks like it could be a neat pump. It has the art deco 4 ad glass top. However, it is missing the reset handle, the trim that holds the ad glass in, and everything above the lower doors on both sides which I am not even sure what that all is. He says he has the face plates and ad glass for it but I have not seen them. Also two of the corner trim pieces that hold the sides on are bent pretty good and probably would have to be replaced along with the veeder root as it is in bad shape. Normally this would be a parts pump for me but would it be realistic to save or is it just another parts pump? There does not seem to be many parts available for this pump. I did not ask to see what he was asking for it because of the missing parts but I can not seem to get this pump out of my head. I don't want to miss something that maybe I should have persued. What do you guys think??

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#61657 Thu Jun 24 2004 06:22 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
if it's a good buy take it. scobie has most of the stuff and that is a killer pump when restored properly

#61658 Thu Jun 24 2004 08:02 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I would definetly buy it... I have been looking for a 76 of this description or worse for about a year now. I'd be interesed if you decide not to buy it.

Ethan

#61659 Thu Jun 24 2004 08:34 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Thats a good pump, GO GET IT!
4 ad glass top is TOUGH to get. the sheet metal is easy, repop corners are cheap.

2 - 76s pictured on pump of the month.

[This message has been edited by tom 2 tone (edited 06-24-2004).]

#61660 Thu Jun 24 2004 08:44 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
If it doesnt have the face bezels laying around it is pretty much a parts pump. "IF" you can find them expect to pay at least $300 apiece for them. As a parts pump you really only have a base and a top to sell so keep that in mind.........Les

#61661 Thu Jun 24 2004 08:48 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
76's are cool pumps and 77's (same but a clock face) are even cooler. I bought a 77 about 3 years ago that was missing the bezels and trim. I just recently finally aquired the bezels and they were not cheap. Most you find are broken, cracked, and or bent. Is it a dog bone or visi gage pump. A visi gage is also another hard to find item for 76/77 pumps, they are big and square. Make sure you get all of the afore mentioned trim or you will spend lots of time and lots of cash getting it. I cannot say that I have seen any reset cranks for that pump either but they are quite different from a 77 since 77's are a clock face. I paid $475 for mine and have spent that and then some for a few original missing parts. Jacks book puts the value of a complete computer pump at $850 and a clock face at $1200. You said it right in that there are not many parts available for these pumps anywhere. Ron Scobie has the corner trim, bezel steps and channels, faces, and several other items for 76's, including just recently the stamped trim for the bezels. They are gorgeous pumps when done and typically worth a little more than the popular 36B' toks. If you want to see a picture of a real nice one go to Larry Ivys Premo Petrol site. (http://www.premopetrol.com)Good luck, Jeff

#61662 Fri Jun 25 2004 06:02 AM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys.

It is the dog bone style. It does not have a visi-guage. What might the 4 ad glass top be worth??

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#61663 Fri Jun 25 2004 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
$200 +, IF there is NO Damage

#61664 Fri Jun 25 2004 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just completed a 76 and re-did it as a Texaco Ethyl even though the pump was originally a Standard Oil (Sohio 1935) according to Page 74 of Jack's Book. Mine too was missing a bezel and was told after I bought it that I probably wouldn't find one, especialy the Standard oil model. The frame, top and everything else was solid. I planned on replacing the sheet metal that was rusted, paint it and just turn the non bezel side to the wall. Then,I was at the Portland Swap meet this spring and got the phone # to a guy that had one. Paid $100 and it was in great shape. Moral of the story: stuff's out there, have patience. The new ad glass is done and I am working woth a graphic artist to re make the decal. Even though there is a similar decal available on the after market, the one I am having made is a little different and more accurate for the time period. Instead of a decal I am having it put on flexible magnetic material that will attach itself to the pump without damaging it and it id easily removed should I sell the pump so I can use it on another pump. Good luck

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved