Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#616660 Sun Jun 07 2015 04:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am hopeful that at the end of this very long long story, i will be able to include a portion of the 70 or so pictures i snapped during an invite into one of the neatest buildings i will ever get a chance to explore as a gas/oil collector. As a custodion of history, and with my going to keep 90% of the history i brought home from the building, i hesitate to use the word "pick", when referring to my trip, but will use it here respectfully since i went into this personal visit clean and 3.5 hours later, i came out filthy black from delving into every corner of this 100 year old standing tribute to an era long gone by. Thus, it was a "pick" from that perspective.

My story starts innocently enough with a simple breakfast at a small diner 5 minutes from my home. When exiting the car, i mention to my companion, upon gazing down the brick street beside the diner and looking at an old "service" sign hanging on the facade of a brick bldg i thought was long closed, "i would love to go through that bldg" and "i would love that sign since it is so close to my home". My new friend surprises me and tells me that the gentleman opens the bldg on limited hours and does minor auto repairs, of which my friend himself takes his car in there for. He tells me the next time he goes for an oil change, he will ask the man if it is for sale. I think it a rare chance it will ever happen, but i tell him to let me know.

A week goes by and while working on detailing a car the following friday, my friend calls me and tells me that he is standing in the office of the owner of the bldg and that he has asked if the sign was for sale. My friend said that the owner was shocked anyone would want the thing, but that it was so strongly attached to the bldg that it was not currently available, but if the thing ever fell off, i could have it! I chuckled at the candor of the owner and pictured the way he might have relayed that to my friend. Although that sign was not available yet, the owner told my new friend that if i wanted to come up and peek through the bldg, i could immediately do so. My friend said that the owner seemed shocked anyone would care about the stuff. Lol. Now having only a customers car available, i had to pass. I was thinking my chance was gone, but the owner stated that at 12:30 the following friday, i could come up. I immediately accepted the invitation and spent every nite the following week walking my dogs past the old bldg, wondering what stories lie within.

This past friday, i pulled up to the bldg to find the garage door open and upon entering through the garage door, it was as if i went from 2015 with one step and into 1930 with another. I met the owner and extended an appreciative hand, followed by a heartfelt "thank you" and proceeded on a journey of history told by the bricks of the bldg and the items hidden from sight for decade upon decade.

Standing in this massive structure and taken aback by the architecture within, i was in awe and could only think that this bldg was amazing and should forever be allowed to stand until the day the owner sells it to someone firmly committed to keeping it standing and restoring it as a museum of automotive history, filling it with old cars, old pumps,old signs, and more importantly....old and new friends to enjoy it.

The owner told me the bldg was built in the early 1900's and was constructed as a "livery" and used as such until the later 1920's when it was then used as an automotive service bldg from then until now. The owner speaking to me had worked in this bldg for the last 40 years and plans to continue to do so as long as he can. He still took enough pride in his profession to continue to wear the uniforms labeled with the name of the company that has occupied it for nearly 100 years! To others, that might seem pointless for him to do so since such minor and infrequent service is even performed there now, but to me and those here reading this, it shows a level of respect to not only the company he has served for so many years, but respect also for the bldg itself. It deserves nothing less. I snapped picture after picture while listening to him as we walked past old equipment not in use for years. Picture after picture as we walked to an old oil pit built into the floor. Picture after picture of tools and parts piled high upon old benches. Picture after picture as we looked at an old firebird with 4" of dust hiding brown paint and honeycomb wheels. Picture after picture of paint flaking off painted brick walls. Picture after picture of a ceiling at least 40' high where curved wooden beams met at the arch of the ceiling. Picture after picture of a room high up at one end which to me looked like a place to store feed for horses back upon its use as a livery. Picture after picture of a basement holding items from decades gone by. Picture upon picture of a high up room accessible only by steep steps, which left me in awe. A room we accessed where the owner told me that anything here i was free to take home with me since he could see my passion for the history. Items here not seen for decades and not accessed by him other than to get an occasional roll of paper towels to fill 40 year old dispensers in his bathroom. A treasure hidden in dust and frozen in time. A room overlooking an automotive museum so close to home.

I will explain further as i post pics. I am hopeful that my ipad allows me to post for others to enjoy. If not, i will have to try some other means or rely on someone else to help, although a daunting task it would be to someone to help with the pics!

Here goes.....

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well.....it is like a beautiful lady leading one to believe they could see "all" of her behind the closed door of a quiet room, and then realizing it aint happening! Pics dont seem to work off of this ipad when trying to upload them here. Will try to work on it since i think my friends here would appreciate what was hidden.

KEVIN
Try using the Resize Tool

Resizing photo images for easy upload using File Manager:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199328

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
long interesting story- please post photos ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll bite and admit that my curiosity has been peaked. And also admit, that I am looking forward to seeing the images...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Hey, I know this guy, and I think he's pulling our legs! LOL
Actually I've already seen the photos. Nice find & great old building.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Resizing app does. It work from iPad on oldgas. You will need to host them somewhere like imageshack

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds interesting, can't wait to see!

Braden Splichal

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Still struggling

KEVIN
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Not sure how many photo's you have, but if you want to email them to me, I can size and post them for you this evening.

scoppens@comcast.net

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you Steve! I will be in touch with a few pics to share!

KEVIN
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Pics posted on behalf of mrcavalcade

IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0595.JPG

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0602.JPG IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0590.JPG

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0594.JPG

Steve Coppens
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved