Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I am not a Texaco expert or specialized collector by any means, but something I have noticed in common with Texaco plates that have a darker color lower section is that the date codes are usually a bit blurry....mine on my 1945 Sky Chief is "fuzzy". On the other hand, my Fire Chief and Sky Chief Supreme from 1960 with white lower areas have pretty crisp date codes.
Looking at some of the posted known originals of the Diesel Fuel 2 and Diesel Chief L you notice the somewhat fuzzy date codes in the heavy red or green backgrounds. The sign in question of the post I would personally be suspect of based on the very bold date code, which to me looks like a more modern font as well. Just my 2 cents....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...thanks for posting the pics; they definitely look different than the sign from Facebook...and one currently on eBay...in fact, two of the last three Diesel Chief L signs that sold had the fine brush pattern...one seller with such a sign listed now, said the sign was unused, has remnants of original onion skin paper wrapped around it when he found it - but it had no grommets confused

Originally Posted By: DWSheffer
something I have noticed in common with Texaco plates that have a darker color lower section is that the date codes are usually a bit blurry....mine on my 1945 Sky Chief is "fuzzy". On the other hand, my Fire Chief and Sky Chief Supreme from 1960 with white lower areas have pretty crisp date codes.
Looking at some of the posted known originals of the Diesel Fuel 2 and Diesel Chief L you notice the somewhat fuzzy date codes in the heavy red or green backgrounds. The sign in question of the post I would personally be suspect of based on the very bold date code, which to me looks like a more modern font as well. Just my 2 cents....
Darin

...totally agree...the reason for said blurryness is: anytime you silk-screen a large field of solid color with small details that are 'knocked out' - like small type or (R) - they tend to 'fill in'...the Fire-Chief and Sky-Chief Supreme dates are so much clearer because those dates are printed onto the background, instead of the background showing through...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Thu Jun 11 2015 06:57 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

I see Keystone posted a photo of the date on the diesel 2. That should not have a circle R trade mark back in 54. That trade mark only came into affect in 1959, when The Texas Co. became incorporated to Texaco.

I'm glad I don't collect with all this B.S. going on. I guess these guys can't find any grommets out there.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The diesels, diesel 2 and diesel L have been repopped...they have been selling on ebay for a few months now...if you hold one of them in your hands (see in person) they have virtually no shelving and look wrong (no grommets too).

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I too saw this on Favebook and thought "fake"

As noted by others, the date code and spray give it away...

I was amazed that NO ONE questioned its authenticity on FB (guess I could have chimed in)... But I applaud Oldgas for calling it out...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems like Diesel chief, Diesel L, And Diesel 2 are being repoped a lot now... Any new collectors reading this ask here before ya buy..I hate seeing people burnt.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I am thankful to Mark Elmore for pointing that out. I was going to buy it because it was so clean. I never even thought about it being repoped. I guess I should keep up on things more. This only begs the question..how long before the diesel number one is out there?

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

What a shame. I saw the other day they were repopping an old 30" X 30" Crankcase sign on ebay. I'll see if I can find it.

L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Here is a picture of mine. The date on it is 3-10-62. The sign in question, I would personally stay away from it. There is too many things that is wrong with the sign.
John, I am glad you brought up the Fuel Chief 1. Somewhere, I have heard it is currently in discussion about being reproduced along with the fantasy globe to go along with it. Another great topic. I really enjoy the discussions on oldgas. Doug, I agree with you. It is a shame that all these Texaco signs are being repopped. I saw the 30" x 30" crankcase sign on ebay and couldn't believe it. Guys, keep up the good work.

002.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this is sad... I have also noticed the increased number of Diesel Texaco plates on ebay & facebook and I had my suspicions, but had nothing to base it off of.

its a shame, because now after hearing about all of this, and not being a texaco collector myself... I probably won't even look twice at the diesel plates because of fear of not knowing.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...BTW - the seller of the fake Diesel Chief L on Facebook, is also an Oldgasser...

...Bryce, the sign isn't so close, that it's indistinguishable - the devil's in the details...the only times I've gotten 'took', is when I was in such a hurry to get the money out of my pocket, that I didn't slow down a bit and look critically at the piece...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark, ill just keep your number stored in my phone as 'Texaco Diesel' smile

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...Bryce, call whenever you want - but I'd rather you kept it stored as 'THE Gulf Guy' wink

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The man who has the diesel plate has graciously let me out of the deal. For what it's worth I really don't think he knew either. It's getting bad when seasoned collectors are having a hard time with this poop. I am thankful we all have each other's back.

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good eye Mark! When you see them side by side it's pretty obvious but if i walked past it at a show it may not be so…..Thanks for showing the signs that show the difference….

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved