Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#617564 Fri Jun 12 2015 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Nice work Wes...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sounds like a baby that takes his toys and runs if things don't go his way.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't do FB but I'll guess that....
1. Dealers/pickers prefer FB.
2. The people or friends of people who have had "official encounters" with the moderators on OG prefer FB.
3. Young people prefer FB.

4. People that collect to learn about and preserve history prefer OG.

5. Collectors that actively buy and sell to help support their collecting habit like both.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob,I believe you are spot on with your comments.There is no substitute for the vast knowledge within the OG community. grin

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I too fully agree with Bob's assessment.....

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
OG is a repository of information that can be accessed pretty easy. FB sites are the McDonald's counter sales where the attendant and menu is constantly changing.

A fellow I know posted at Gulf sign for sale w/price. I posted some signs I'd trade him and the moderator had the audacity to complain I didn't post prices for what I was going to trade. And when I pointed out that they had no rules stating discussion posts had to be priced and we were talking trades I was not breaking any rules they didn't like it. Then the moderator changed the rules and deleted my post pointing out the flaw in their logic.

Personally I think FB is a terrible way to attempt to sell something because if the site has many people on it posting your for sale item might end up pages down. Whereas on OG it's simple and easy to scroll through the threads of what's for sale and know what's new pretty quick.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe that both have there place in this hobby. I can honestly say that I have become very good friends with people from this site. So for that I will always be grateful. The knowledge that is here is no comparison to fb. Fb is about selling for the most part there are a few exceptions. The gasglobe and oil can page are great and have brought some good stuff out of the woodwork. Some on fb will disagree but there seems to be more drama and underhanded things going on. I have had several occasions when I have bought and sold that either I was contacted or the other person was and someone has tried to buy out from under me or offer me more money to sell to them. I will continue to use both as both have there place in this hobby

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The more I hear and see about farcebook , tweeter and instatird ,the further I want to crawl in my cave. As long as I can still get a internet signal for old gas , I will be good. I enjoy my oldgas time and the friends I have met thru here. Great sight and great people.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Both have their place . But I bet you get more help on almost any subject if you ask the question on old gas . Facebook is more for the picker , old gas is for the collector . The range of topics on old gas is across the spectrum . The range of topics on facebook , is this , "item for sale" . They are just 2 totally different venues .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One more thing ......... The comment directed towards old guys. All my life I have respected and listened to "old people " . There is more knowledge by a country mile in the older community , if you don't learn this when you are young . You wont learn much in life in IMHO.

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you Dave,well put!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I agree they both have their place in the hobby BUT facebook welcomes NEW guys with open arms while oldgas rejects them as threats or possible pickers! As a 10 year veteran member I have seen oldgas treat the new guys like ***** over and over again!
I was NEW 10 years ago and felt the same sting from members because I was selling alot of what I found. I learned real quick! I treated everyone fair and worked my butt off to find RARE stuff and prove my place in this hobby. 16 years full time and $1,000,000 in buys and sales and NEVER a problem for this picker/collector!
So a couple years ago I started pointing out the wrongdoings of veteran members towards the new guys in hopes things would change BUT they havent! They have gotten worse! I even sent Jim several examples and he said, Pickers arent liked on here??? WOW
I have all the respect in the world for oldgas and its members! That is why I tried to help with this huge problem, BUT instead I am the bad guy for pointing it out...
ONLY on oldgas is PICKER a cussword frown

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I look at Oldgas.com members as the knowledgeable people I'd most like to sit down with,talk,and have a drink or a meal with.
I too am on FB,and view many on Poser$ Who Are Weak,as ones that quietly read Oldgas daily,then glean what they've read and act like they always known about it on FBook while asking for your $.

Some of the replies there,are literally taken verbatim from other Oldgas.com members here...LOL.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
I have had private message conversations with tomzcollectiblez about pickers and how they are perceived. It is a sad thing that just a few people can cloud the reputation of a whole group of people. We have had a few members who refer to themselves as pickers and have behaved badly. Offering repros for sale as originals, not delivering on items paid for, selling for a higher 3rd party offer after a deal is made with a buyer and asking triple high unrealistic prices. It is human nature to to be suspicious based on events you have experienced.

Not all pickers are the same. I personally feel that most pickers, Facebook users and Oldgas.com members are good and decent people. Only a small percentage of each group cause most of the problems. Not all older people are grouchy and dislike younger people. Not all younger people have a big ego and dislike older people.

I believe that if you are nice to people, most will be nice to you. On the other hand, if you play up the "us against them" scenario, it will drive people apart.

It is true that a few folks who got in trouble with moderators on Oldgas.com are now big players on Facebook. It is the way things go in life sometimes.

A while back, I told tomzcollectiblez that pickers are like used car salesmen. A few can give the whole group a bad reputation. I advised him to distance himself from the "picker" word and build his own separate reputation. He mistook that for me calling picker a cuss word. Oh well.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved