Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
poor tommy

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have been trying to stay out of controversial topics lately, but would like to say this:
I am unbiased to either source. Both OG and FB have given me very good friends, great leads, and each have uncovered some fantastic 2 gallon cans for me. As far as Oldgas, as everyone says, the passion and information present here is tops. As far as FB, the ease of buying and selling because elf the ease of uploading pictures is great.

Both cites have their place and merit.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...I guess this is a little OT - but in response to Jim and Tom's posts (and not directed at anyone in particular):

...I never understood why some dealers feel the need to refer to themselves as 'pickers', instead of dealers...possibly trying to trade on some of the 'glamour' from that %$#@ TV show? I can't figure it out...

...a guy posted on FB the other day, photos of a big lot of varied signs...quality signs from a number of unrelated companies, that must have been assembled by a collector...worth, in total, more than most make in a year - and he called it a 'pick' confused ...growing up, the only 'pickers' I knew of were few and far between, and spent their time 'beating the bushes', providing a service to the hobby by locating items long-hidden and/or unknown to collectors or dealers...has the term 'picker' been so misused that any purchase, qualifies as a 'pick'?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I went to my grocery store last week and "picked" 4 boxes of cereal for $2....grocery store was clueless.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob (lastgas) is spot on.

The hobby has a place for both. I seen on Facebook guys saying oldgas is not friendly to the sellers? I guess people get worn out with what's this worth, what's that worth all the time. It became a place many come to due to a Google search.
This site was built originally for collectors to socialize and learn and sell some stuff sometimes.
Oldgas will still be the place for guys to come and learn and search for old post about something cool. It's been around a long time and collectors will keep it around.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
This topic is one Iv'e followed closely without giving an opinion but I will jump in the water. I will say this. I always hated facebook in general. Most of my family is on it ALL THE TIME which drove me nuts. I never understood the facination. The few times a year I logged in I always hated having a picture of what some person is having for dinner plastered across my screen or listen to someone bitching about someone or something that had nothing to do with me. I thought it would be something I would NEVER use.

Then a local buddy told me about all the sign groups & petro stuff on there. So I had to check it out. And what everyone is saying is pretty correct. There is alot to look at and fresh "stuff" is plentiful. There is a place in the hobby for both sites. If you want to sell/buy than that is the place to be because you see so much more on a real time basis. I think it's great for that aspect and I've bought and sold a few items on there with no issues. NOW, if you'd like to show off your "buys of the week" or discuss a recent find or ask an intelligent question about an item. There is no BETTER place than OG. I hate the thought that some people can imagine this site fading away as FB is the new trend in the hobby! It's apples and oranges.

Last edited by eric grinder; Mon Jun 15 2015 03:09 PM.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Maybe we here at OG should get with the times already.
So Eric,I can't stand my mailman and here's what I had for dinner tonight.

dinner.jpg
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
lol..yummy. There ya go folks facebook!

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
I went to my grocery store last week and "picked" 4 boxes of cereal for $2....grocery store was clueless.

Good one !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
as long as the subject of food has come up, Wes' post on FB reminds me of walking in to a KFC and asking everyone there if they like chicken better than beef, or sports, ask someone from San Francisco who their favorite football team is. I mean the overwhelming response was a negative towards OG, just doesn't seem very surprising.......or necessary

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok Cold Pizza, I gotta ask...What did your poor mailman do to you to make you hate him? shocked grin

I also have to thank Jim for putting together some guidelines for civility on this forum. When we sign up, it's his forum and his rules. And he doesn't make any corrections a public spectacle, and seems to do them quietly and privately.

As I tell Bob sometimes, if you don't like the dinner I cook, you are free to cook your own. It works for us and we each eat what we like, but still sit at the same table enjoying the company.

Good for Wes for cooking his own, and it sounds like, a great meal. But complaining about it, or trying to polarize the community (us vs. them) lacks grace. Life is way too short.

Last edited by Nicole; Tue Jun 16 2015 03:21 AM. Reason: changed old pizza to cold pizza-whoops! Freudian slip there LOL
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Neil Gerrard
as long as the subject of food has come up, Wes' post on FB reminds me of walking in to a KFC and asking everyone there if they like chicken better than beef, or sports, ask someone from San Francisco who their favorite football team is. I mean the overwhelming response was a negative towards OG, just doesn't seem very surprising.......or necessary

Originally Posted By: Nicole

Good for Wes for cooking his own, and it sounds like, a great meal. But complaining about it, or trying to polarize the community (us vs. them) lacks grace. Life is way too short.

2 great post that pretty much sums it up, The biggest complainer tends to be the biggest troublemaker and the one that starts most of the drama.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
IMO, Wes asked a "fair" question.

So, ...

1- Why so much "fuss"?
2- Why so "defensive"?

In America, we have choices ... Both have their place.

Let's go back to hunting. OG or FB!

Done!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys
IMO, Wes asked a "fair" question.

So, ...

1- Why so much "fuss"?
2- Why so "defensive"?

In America, we have choices ... Both have their place.

Let's go back to hunting. OG or FB!

Done!

It wasn't really a fair question as pointed out by Neil. Now if he had posted that question on BOTH sites, it would have been fair.

Why the fuss? That's a question you should ask Wes.

I don't know if it's the case with Wes but these discussions can almost always be traced back to someone that's been in trouble with the moderators. In such cases the intent isn't to poll those in the "hobby" on their preferences but to be divisive as has been pointed out already. THAT is why people get defensive.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I too find the use of "picking" on FB hilarious...

They also say "junking" a lot.

Overpaying for signs in established collections is hardly picking imho. I realize I sound like a crotchety Old Gasser but the real hunt is cruising the backroads, unhooking a pump from a farm, going underneath a bulk plant etc.

But yeah, both FB and Oldgas have their places... If you Oldgassers haven't checked it out, it's worth looking into the various petro groups. Lots of great signs and pumps pictured...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved