Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#618265 Wed Jun 17 2015 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thought I'd share with everyone about the things I have learned during my experiences with Tokheim 36B stationlighters.
The journey started about 5 years ago when one of these elusive stationlighters popped up in front of me, and I bought it without a clue as to how to install it, or any of the additional parts that I might need!
I basically started with cleanup and asking questions like how, what, and where? It wasn't long before I learned that I would need a specialized top to mount this thing to, and a completely different lighting system that included a rather heavy cast iron mounting tower that went up inside the ad glass top! Now, the hunt was on!
I slowly gathered the necessary parts and along the way, was able to gather up 2 more stationlighters, a couple of bonnets and another mounting tower! I had always planned on putting this system onto a pump that I had previously restored, but decided against it, and located a pump nearby that needed a little work and was priced right.
I had all these parts and decided to pick thru them and select the best of the bunch to use and slowly sell off everything I didn't need to accomplish my goal. The parts were easy to sell off, and went to several people that needed different items for their own projects.
Like any long term project, I lost interest in it several times because of small problems that I didn't want to deal with at the time, or something else would pop up that got preference, and this project got pushed to the side for an unreasonable length of time. I resolved to finish it this spring, and with the help of a few friends along the way, it is finally done!
The parts gathering, and the body work, all took time, but there was a problem that had me stumped for the longest time! It had to do with the installation, and it was so simple, that I'm almost embarrassed that I couldn't figure it out!
When you are doing the installation, there is a logical order to these parts, and they have to be installed in that order for it all to go together properly. The light system and mounting tower get bolted onto the top casting, and then the specialized ad glass top goes on, and the pole with the bonnet next! All of that seemed very easy and my problem didn't start until the next phase!
To install the sheet metal, the main body of the tower comes in 4 main pieces. Two larger sections of the tower with the spears bolted on and slide mounts attached, and they simply bolt together with a few small screws! Next is the installation of the rest of the decorative spears that attach by slipping into the slots in the sheet metal tower, and locking in place with the slide mechanism that is inside the sheet metal tower!
THATS WHERE THE PROBLEM AROSE! The ends of the slide mechanism are now inside the ad glass top, with no manner to access them, and you have to be able to grab them and push up to allow installation of the decorative spears, and pull down to hold these spears in place???? I TRIED EVERYTHING! NOTHING WORKED! Common sense told me that the engineers didn't design this problem into the mechanism, that the problem was with me, and I couldn't figure it out!
I promptly got onto the phone with Dick Bennett and he explained that Tokheim actually made a 2 piece ad glass holder that would allow access to the underneath of the ad glass top, to solve this problem! He didn't have any but told me what they looked like, so I set off in search of this elusive item.
Talk about something that most have never seen or heard of!! I finally contacted Clinton Newell, and he knew exactly what I was looking for and happened to have an extra set. Time passed, and we finally got them shipped up here, so that I could finish this project up. You have to get the ad glass cut down to fit the frames, but installation is a piece of cake and allows very easy access to the underside of the top for effortless access to the wiring and the slide mechanism!
I'm attaching pictures that show these parts, and I'm always willing to help others if they have questions on this confusing apparatus called the Tokheim 36 B Stationlighter!!!!
Many thanks to the late Dick Bennett, Clinton Newell, John Kramer, and Owen Wright, whose help made it possible for me to finally finish this time consuming project!

Pumps & Parts 005.JPG
Two piece ad glass holder.

Pumps & Parts 007.JPG
Two piece holder installed into top.

Pumps & Parts 006.JPG
Picture shows small centering tab that aligns these holders to the opening.

Pumps & Parts 008.JPG
View of the top, looking across at the 2 piece holder installed.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
More pictures

Pumps & Parts 018.JPG
Top in place showing mounting tower that needs to be accessed.

Pumps & Parts 019.JPG
Two piece ad glass frame with ad glass installed.

Pumps & Parts 020.JPG
Back side of 2 piece ad glass frame with glass installed.

Pumps & Parts 021.JPG
Two piece ad glass frame installed in top.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
FINALLY FINISHED!!!!

Pumps & Parts 022.JPG

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome pump... Well worth the wait !!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good story, looks good with the tower on the 36B
well worth the fight completely together-
are you going too paint it? ... cool

RANDY
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Well worth the wait and done right! Looks fantastic!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Excellent!

Collecting Mobiloil, Mobilgas, Mobilmarine, Metro, General Petroleum, looking for Mobil variations I do not have, thank you Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is sharp Kevin . DB would have liked that you followed thru with the project . I bet he would have made some little witty funny commet as well like , now that it's done (don't let the grand kids use it as a tether ball pole) . Very nice looking pump!

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Looks great Kevin.Thanks for the info on the ad glass holders. I wondered why they were diff on those tops.Makes sense now! Very cool pump! Mark

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

Sharp looking pump Kevin, nice to hear about Dick helping you out. Miss the old guy...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job, Kevin! Thanks for passing on the education of it all.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome!! And thank you for the information Kevin.

Last edited by bsplichal95; Wed Jun 17 2015 08:48 PM.

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice Job Kevin. It looks great. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Stuff like the ad glass holders is pretty much impossible to figure out on our own, and so often simple when the key piece of info finally comes to light.

JimT #618382 Thu Jun 18 2015 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice job! I didn't think you could improve on the 36b design but that stationlighter does just that. Love it!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looking good Kevin!!!!!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
nice,it looks taller then a visable?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks awesome!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Kevin .. Restored a station lighter a couple of years ago .. Been sitting in the corner ..you now answered the question .. Ineed a top like that !!! Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved