Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I went back today to actually get the unknown visible gas pump. Although the original cylinder was boken it appears it takes a 13 5/8' X 22". I had to chip my way through about 4 inches of frozen dirt to get to the base. I then had to grind and chisel all of the screw heads off to get one of the skins off. I used my battery powered sawzall to cut through the gas pipe and the return pipe. The temperature was only 10 degrees and a knuckle busting job of trying to undo the unions turned into a simple 30 second job. I am sure the pump had not been used for 30-40 years and did not worry about an explosion or fire. I added a picture of the insides with the unique handle that is pulled to open the drain back valve.

This handle is accessed through a small cast iron oval door located about 12" above the base.

I have also included a couple picture of the pump as seen from the road. My wife was driving about 40 MPH and looking backward through a tinted dirty rear passenger window. I don't know how she spotted it. I also included a "zoomed" picture and the pump is still barely visible(circled in red). In fact I was only about 30 feet from the pump before I finally saw it. I'm going to keep her. She found it on a Kickapoo Indian reservation. That certainly gives me some ideas on which brand I will finish it off as.

[This message has been edited by Tim Rohr (edited 01-26-2003).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tim, You found a rare one. I have not seen one like it. You are right about the door being a clear vision. I have two clear visions with the same door. How about the other 40s pump in the left of the photo?? Is it a Neptune? Did you score that one too? Let us know please . Our wives would get along great. My wife found a 400.00 5gal. Fry Mae West with the original globe. Women are very observant. Sounds like you have been scoring a lot of pumps lately. Your on a roll!! Gas pump Rob

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry, I ment the 40's pump in the right of the photo. Rob

------------------

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Rob if you've spotted another pump in this picture you need to let me know where it's at. I'll have to fire my wife and hire you.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tim, look very carefuly at the far right of your photo. I still see what looks like a faded 40s tall square gas pump next to a tree. It is biege in color. Looks like a neptune or tokhiem 39 tall? Do you see what I am talking about? Might be a ghost??? Rob

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Look at the last photo, far right.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Rob...... I think what you are seeing is a door to the house.......

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
While I was sure there wasn't another pump there you did raise my curiosity. I went back to my original photo and magnified it a number of times. There was one point of magnification where it did in fact look very much like a pump. It even looked like you could see an ID tag on it. Future magnification showed that it in fact was an old screen door leaning against the house. Thank God I didn't fire my wife.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Tim, Had trouble seeing the pump in the trees, must be the reflection. Whats that white stuff on the ground? Ed

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Boy you guys in California really know how to hit us where it hurts. On the postive side I never worry about my pumps sliding down the mountain in a mud slide or bolting down the pumps so that an earthqauke doesn't knock it over. Of course we do have a twister every now and then but that just makes things exciting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I THINK A TRUCK DELIVERING FLOUR CRASHED RIGHT THERE MINUTES BEFORE TIM DROVE BY AND THE CLEANUP CREW HADN'T ARRIVED YET, OR IT MIGHT BE THAT YUCKY "SNOW" STUFF THAT PLAGUES IDAHO.. TIM, DO YOU DRIVE SLOW LIKE I DO AND GET PASSED BY HANDICAP SENIOR CITIZENS THAT ARE ON THEIR WAY TO THE D.M.V. GET THEIR LICENSES TAKEN AWAY?? THATS HOW YOU SEE STUFF LIKE THAT.. PLUS THE SNOW ON THE ROAD IS DANGEROUS, 10 MPH MAX FOR ME, DRIVE SAFE,, FIND PUMPS..... FRANK..

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I have a Wayne Cut615 10 gal. visible out by the driveway with a repro Mobilgas globe, and you can't beat it on a snowy nite with that baby lit up standing sentinel by my garage. Tues. nite it was really coming down, and everything was stone quiet outside, with the snow piling up on top of the globe. It is very peaceful to just stand out there and take it all in, very relaxing. It's fun to imagine what it would have been like on a nite like that in 1936 to pull in for gas and a Coke in your new 3 window Ford Coupe.

Some people spend a lot of money running to the shrink to try to get straightened out. Us petroliana nuts already have the answers. It's there in your garage or rec room or wherever. Come on in boys, the water's fine....Neat pump Tim!!! Thanks to all you guys sending in photos, we love 'em!!! Hey Dwaine, you want us Illinois boys to send you some snow so you won't feel left out???

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I could not of said it better MIDWAY ,the image of your wayne visible and mobil globe with the snow comeing down relaxed me ,I'm remined of a time when things were a little bit slower .Memories are forever.

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tim thanks for checking that photo for me. It looked so much like another pump. I did not want you to miss out on one!!! Happy hunting Rob

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved