Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#61905 Sun Feb 05 2006 06:51 PM
K F H Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Just purchased a M/S 80 Cyclopse with the tall base. Since I am placeing my pumps in our basement, this pump will be about an inch too tall with a standard capco globe.
It will, however, fit with an oval globe with a few inches to spare. I was wondering if anyone makes the "oval"globe in "Shell"?
I have seen them repoped in Mobiloil and Pennzoil but that is it. I think it would be possible to put a water transfer onto a plain "oval" if they were produced.
I also noticed that "Gas Pump Heaven" is selling a "clamshell" that is listed as 11" tall? I'm not sure what this would look like on the tall M/S 80 ,but,the 11" version would be much shorter than the typical 18" original clamshell.
I would appreciate any feedback on plain ovals or the small clamshell globes being offered by G.P.H.
As always, thanks for any help that can be given.
Kurt

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#61906 Sun Feb 05 2006 08:00 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
As far as I know, the only globes being repo'd in oval is Pennz & Gargoyle, they are $125/each, I believe. The small clamshell made by GPH is made for a mini-pump and though it would work on your pump, it would like very tiny. If it were me, I'd just go ahead and restore it without a globe if it must go in the basement.

#61907 Sun Feb 05 2006 08:07 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I would raise the whole house a foot, so you gain a foot in the basement. Because you know, collecting gas pumps is like eating potato chips, you can't stop at just one. Your going to need the room. LOL

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#61908 Sun Feb 05 2006 09:06 PM
K F H Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Seth
Any idea who actually makes the ovals? Might be a chance to buy one before screening is done? A long shot...but possible since no royalty is paid on a plain face.

Brian
If I raise the floor...the spouse would raise the roof! If you know what I mean!!!
The funny thing is I had a chance to buy the shorty M/S 80 cyclops today ,but,when I seen that tall base...I had to have it. I will make it work somehow. I'm only 1" shy of a perfect fit...I think I have heard that somewhere before???
Thanks for the reply
Kurt

#61909 Sun Feb 05 2006 09:17 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I remolded our down stairs for gas stuff, only to find out most clock-faces will not fit down there. So now the room holds globes, cans, signs, and pumps that will fit down there. The rest are scattered through out the house. Kristin loves to decorate, so you can imagine how much she likes them through out the house.

Good Luck,

Brian

#61910 Sun Feb 05 2006 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kurt,
Why not get an original oval globe? Shamrock ovals are fairly plentiful and cheap.
Other ovals turn up once in awhile for $350 or less. Most any of them would look better than fantasy Shell globe.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#61911 Sun Feb 05 2006 11:33 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Got drywall? Poke a hole in it and cover with a disk. Are you talking 1 inch with the globe being inside the holder or as you pass it over and in?

I think it would not be that hard to sink a globe holder down into the top and run the light up from the inside to make it work.

#61912 Mon Feb 06 2006 01:19 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hey curt,let me know if you need an oval globe,Im sure I have a few around the house for a reasonable price.LOL Good meeting you and doing business with you.As you saw I like the tall ones also.Seems like the short pumps dont stand out like the larger ones do.Hope you like it and give me a call if you need anything else.

------------------

#61913 Mon Feb 06 2006 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kurt:

At the risk of making the purests cringe. You could take the base to a machine shop and have an inch and a half machined off of the bottom. This will work if your base is one of the cast metal bases. This won't work with the sheet metal bases as they don't have the 'meat' at the bottom like the cast one's do.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

#61914 Mon Feb 06 2006 08:51 AM
K F H Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Lastgas- I might go with an original if I can't find a blank oval. I really wanted to do a "Shell" theme this time around. Their refinery was located about 10 miles from me and I had several friends and relatives who worked there. It was also a very popular station in our area,and I love the colors.

Dodogas- Yes I have a drywall ceiling. The pump, with a capco is 90" tall with the globe set into the globe holder, and the ceiling is 89"at best! I had better like the place I put this pump if I want to cut holes in the drywall. I think I like to move things around to much to do that.

SSLICK68- I do like this pump!!! You know how long it took for me to make up my mind Sunday??? If I was to get started on your ovals you might have to take a day off work.LOL. All kidding aside,I might be interested in one of your ovals if I can't make this thing work another way. Man with all the stuff you have,I could do some serious damage to my twins college fund and Mrs.H might step in!!!!LOL.Had a great time looking at your collections...hope I didn't burn your whole day off.

T-Way- I don't think I will touch the base. Even though I'm no purest, I like the pump in its original form. But I would consider a fantasy globe (oval/Shell) if I could find one. Hey with all the graphics you do have you used any vinyl or water transfers on globes? How about a fantasy oval?

#61915 Mon Feb 06 2006 09:19 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Here is an idea, how about a Phillips 66 shield globe? Mine is 15 inches, the globe that is. Just an idea.

Brian

#61916 Mon Feb 06 2006 05:38 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Kurt, you might find a place in your room where there is 90 inches. Maybe you've measured every spot in the room. Sometimes the ceiling to floor distance is not as uniform as one would think. It might vary that much somewhere in the room. I have a Wayne 60 that has 1/4 inch of room between the top of the globe and the ceiling. I have just enough room to change the bulb. I thought I might have to leave off the lens next to the wall. Anywhere else in this 20 X 22 ft.room it would not fit. There happens to be only an area not much bigger than the base, whew!! Find a piece of wood quarter round, cut it to 90 in. and have someone help you measure.
Another thing you might try: if someone had an old, damaged Capco body they'd let you have, and cut a little off the base at a time until it will fit. You then could buy a new one and cut it once to fit. You might get lucky between the combination of these 2 ideas and get your pump where you want it.
The other idea I have is: you might trade bases with someone who is wanting the tall base.
Good Luck!
Rod

------------------

#61917 Mon Feb 06 2006 06:46 PM
K F H Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
BLange- A Phillips shield globe @ 15" might work.I will see what happens with my other options first. Thanks for the info on height measurements.

danceswithpumps- I only have a few spots I can put the pump in my basement due to the placement of a pool table,pinball,bar and few other permanent furniture items. I will however check the height in the places that are available for the pump. As far as cutting down the capco body, this pump has a 7" fitter on top and the sides of the capco will be restricted by the fitter. I will make this work somehow, just trying different avenues...heck I don't even have the pump rebuild started yet. I did pay more for this pump than I normally would, due to the tall base. I think it sets the pump off,so trading for a small base would not be something I would entertain at the moment. Thanks for your reply, all sugestions will be considered.

Pogogas - Thanks for the email! I have checked on buying a oval body and will get my answere tommorrow. I'm not sure how the flat glass would work, but it might be the ticket.

SSLICK68- email me on your going price for...Phillips 66 shield globe...extra oval globes you might not want to take on your move. LOL

#61918 Mon Feb 06 2006 10:30 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I did mention it but can you lower the ring into the pump, I know it would be easy on a Glbarco, and AO smith is made that way. I dont know what your top looks like, no M%S ever gets seen up here..

#61919 Mon Feb 06 2006 11:48 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I dont think that I have that one,LOL. I have some ovals I may part with though,all NOS as you saw.email me direct or just call me when you want.Wanna help me move? You still havent seen then other place yet! I might have sold the house Sat. night so Ill look forward to you coming down to help,bring a bigger truck though,LOL.Im sure it will be fun.Got them skins primed sun. and blocked that night and painted Mon. morning before i went to work.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved