Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DCCD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
New guy here. I purchased a "Lubester" from an old shop that had an auction selling off items. No one bid on it so I said $2 and to make a longer story short, I won it for $2. It's been sitting outside my house and I'm wanting to either restore it, or make a display case out of it. I just need to know if it's anything "rare" since I haven't been able to find one like it. It's about 30"x30" wide. When I'm on a computer, I'll post pics. (Unless I can do them from my phone)It is green and has a OPACO lid and says OPACO 480 on the pump neck.?. Any info is appreciated!!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not particularly rare, but they do make nice accessory display items when you have a bunch of pumps on display. They make terrific display cabinets for smaller items, and they have been gaining in popularity over the last few years.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
D
DCCD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Is there a place I can find what the OPACO 480 was used for? Oil or kerosene? It's a bigger than normal tank than the ones I've seen.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
6" hole in the top = Oil Dispenser
12" hole in the top = Kerosene Dispenser

D
DCCD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here are the pics... (I Hope)

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image5.jpeg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion, these larger ones are less desirable then the more common smaller ones.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
D
DCCD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Dave for your opinion! This is my first one, I knkw its a heavy son of a gun. I think I'll feel ok chopping it up and making a display case.

D
DCCD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Any other opinions from anyone?

D
DCCD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Think I'll be ok to just start removing nuts and bolts to start disassembly? I've read about chemical strippers. Would inventory if I just use paint strippers and a high pressure steam cleaner to remove old paint?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's a cool lubester, will be a fun project. It's fine to start breaking down now, but you'll need more aggressive methods to remove the paint and rust. Harbor frieght sells cheap sand blasters or you can use a DA sander. Most lubesters have a lot of dents too and there hard to straighten out. This is one of those labor of love things, not much profit in it, so have fun with it - do whatever you want. I did a Polly display case lubester that was kind of unique, might give you some ideas, just look at my old posts.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
D
DCCD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Paul!! I looked inside and there are some supports running up and down and sideways. I guess so it won't cave in or out. So that kind of put a damper on my display case idea. I can always cut them off, but we'll see. I also broke off the neck part. It was bent so I tried to unscrew it by hand and it was rusty and broke clean off. Now I need to figure out how to take off the inside piece and find a new one.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved